Wednesday 7th September

- Anime Otaku

- Jimmy Redman

Saturday 10th September

- Dante Spears

- Phil

Wednesday 14th September

- DC

Usual drill, post two songs, review others with a rating from 0-10.

Edited by Shaun2J

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I'll start this off.

First up is one of my favorite ballads from one of my favorite bands of all time.

WASP - Hold On To My Heart

[video=youtube;c0iKuU__ruk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0iKuU__ruk&NR=1

Now for something a little more upbeat and heavy. This is the title track from Trivium's new album.

Trivium - In Waves(Live Jam)

[video=youtube;KxOhc-dfEDY]

...and we're off. Enjoy.

DOnt even need to listen to those two to know what score they'll get!

WASP - hold on to my heart

love this song. When it comes to concept albums this is pretty underrated, it's got some very good songs on it. Love this one, it's a bit overblown in places but that's not always a bad thing. 9/10

Trivium - In Waves

I've been listening to this album a fair bit the last week or so and it's pretty damn good. I think 18 tracks is too many, but it's better than Shogun, better by a long, long way. There was a time when Paulo Grgoletto was a better singer than Matt heafy but that seems to have changed. I like how there's a lot less screaming and more singing on this one. 9/10

Guest Dave7g

I find metal hilarious, but there's nothing funnier than 80's hair metal. It seemed at one time every single metal album had a token ballad to show how sensitive the band were. This ticks all the boxes. Moody lighting - check, emotional faces - check, candles - check, puffy blouses -check and check. It might have sentimental meaning for you Max, and that's cool, but for me it sounds like a million other Rocky love - montage songs. 3/10

Reminds me of the music on the Smackdown games. The same music that drives me ****ing insane. I'm so sorry but this just isn't my kind of stuff at all. Maybe if they got rid of the needless growling and the 10 a penny metallica sound, it might have been more interesting, but they didn't. Better than WASP anyway, and they are a tight band, so...5/10

Guest Dave7g

Here's Mine then...

Starsmith - Lesson One

Quite a nice tune that reminds me of Daft Punk.

[video=youtube;dYedRjOuVWA]

Chemical Brothers - Horse Power

One of my faves, heavier than metal :)

[video=youtube;7mksAdOUgGw]

Wasn't sure if real or Spinal Tapp. As fun as it was to laugh at the hair and the seriousness it wasn't really all that good as far as 80's hair metal ballads go. 2/10

Trivium - In Waves

Bit of a curates egg for me. I liked some bits of it and other bits I didn't. Overall good though. 7/10

Starsmith - Lesson One

S'alright I guess. I didn't dislike it but wasn't all that thrilled either. The kind of tune I'd probably be happy to listen to on the radio on a long car journey but I wouldn't go out and track the band down. 6/10

I usually like CB stuff but this was bloody awful. Sounded like they'd taken bits from other songs and just chucked them together. 1/10

Edited by Omega

Guest Jimmy Redman

W.A.S.P. "Hold on to My Heart" This just kind of bores me, I'm afraid. I'm generally not the biggest fan of 80s metal, and for it to do anything for me it usually needs to be exciting in some way. This is not that. Not my thing at all. 3/10

Trivium "In Waves" This, however, totally is. I'm pretty in love with Trivium, I've had Shogun on a pretty constant loop for the last 6 months. Had no idea they had a new album out, so I thank you. Anyway, the song itself is great, its just my kind of metal, and looking forward to picking this up in due course. 8/10

Guest Dante Spears

WASP - Hold on to my Heart

1/10 - I hate 80's metal, this is purely for the cliche of it all.

Trivium - In Waves

0/10 - I'm sorry a song that starts off with someone sounding like they're throwing up is just irritating. And before anyone thinks I'm being unfair, I've come a long way, I used to not even acknowledge that stuff as music when I was a kid

Starsmith - Lesson One

4/10 - Eh, I wouldn't mind if this played on the radio but I'm content with never hearing this again.

?/10 - What the f*ck was that? :lol

Dave7g

Starsmith - Lesson One

I hate disco. If I never have to listen to this again it will be too soon. 0/10

The Chemical Brothers - Horse Power

The Chemical Brothers are okay. I find them a little overrated personally but I do like a few of their songs. This is not one of them. I have no idea what you mean by saying this is heavier than metal. It's totally not. I've heard a lot of electronica that blows away metal as far as speed and pounding bass goes. This isn't even on the map. 1/10

I admit a soft spot for the 80s. But f*ck me this is so 80s that its close to parody. Its best ignoring the video, has to be said. Its not horrible, but its far from the best example of its style. But I dont find it offensivly bad, the music is played alright and the vocals are decent. 5/10

That intro can f*ck right off. I hate that screaming shit in songs. Without it this song would have been an 8, with it its a 4/10. Really thats how much its ruined the song for me.

Starsmith - Lesson One

Quite chilled. I can see why it reminds you of Daft Punk. Not normally my style, but it could have been worse, a lot worse. I'd like to have heard it without the elctro synthy vocal stuff. 7/10

OK, that came closer to parody than the WASP song did. Seriously, is it a joke track that wooshed me? If not then its a 3/10 for being shite.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Starsmith "Lesson One" I didnt think I'd like this, but I actually do. I'm still not sure that its something I'd seek out but its nice enough to have on, just a cool, mellow tune. I do like the hook too. It has potential, I'm going to keep listening to this. Colour me impressed. 6/10

Chemical Brothers "Horse Power" Again, I think I expected to dislike this more than I do. I can only handle dance songs in very small doses, but this is an example of one I dont mind. I prefer the second half when it gets into the Nintendo beeps and the different sounds. Its fine, but I'd still probably never listen to it again. 5/10

WASP - Hold on to my Heart

Just the same sort of ballads you'd get from any 80's glam hair metal band. I hate glam metal. This is probably something you'd find on an compilation album for a evening round of snogging. Not for me.

1/10

Trivium - In Waves

Sorry not my cup of tea. I hate anything that screams double bass drumming in the background and growling isn't my thing anyway.

2/10

Starsmith - Lesson One

I don't mind this stuff, again not my cup of tea but I like the tune. Not to keen on the vocals.

5/10

This is one of those songs which I say to myself...is something gonna happen now or what? Horse power...horse power...horse power on loop the whole time. It gets a point for random horse neighing. I like horse neighing.

3/10

Guest BratSan

Maxximus

W.A.S.P - Hold On To My Heart

I like 80's metal, but this is not up there with the solid ones. A good listen though. Blackie'e vocals are not strong enough to pull this ballad through for me. But nevertheless, I have listened to this earlier too and won't mind listening to it again. 5/10

Like I said in the earlier Club, I despise growling, and you can imagine my reaction when a song starts with exactly that. I just like the beat and rhythm of the song, nothing else, the vocals just puts me off. If I could listen to this song sans the growling, I might have liked it better. 1/10

Edited by BratSan

Guest BratSan

Dave7g

Starsmith - Lesson One

I like this one. I can see why you could relate them to Daft Punk. Yeah, a lot in common, but not as good. I like the melody and the disco bits on this one. Vocally it is on the weaker side than Daft Punk but yeah, I would listen to this again. 6/10

I usually dig CB and absolutely love some of their tracks like Do It Again and Midnight, but this is just lame. I wouldn't listen to this ever again if given a choice. IMO, this is one of their most forgettable compositions. 1/10

Guest Beefhead

W.A.S.P - Hold On To My Heart

I generaly have lots of love for cheesy 80's hair metal. This is a little cliche and especially cheesy. Not the best example of 80's balladry but it's not awful either 6/10

The inital screams about caused me to turn this completely off. However the rest of the song is quite nice. 8/10

Starsmith - Lesson One

This was really quite good. The vocals were nice. Not sure what I expected but this was better 7/10

This was pretty meh for chembro's. Nothing special at all. Wouldnt really care to listen again. 3/10

Guest BratSan

Ok folks, turn up the volume:

First up is one my fav mellowest tracks of all time. I just love this song from Aqualung. Gets me mushy mushy every time I hear it. This features in my top 25 played tracks playlist all the time. :)

[video=youtube;bpDNfwIrx1M]

Followed by "I am not over" by Carolina Liar. Love this track. I just like the rhythm and alternative rock style of theirs. I am not over this track just yet. :)

[video=youtube;ijSg4NkOIeY]

Enjoy!!!!