Fan Clubs | beta

Music Club II

Storm Large - Where Is My Mind

I was at the FIRST ever LAST ever Pixies show, so I like this song already. It's ok, just not as good as it should be. Not a fan of cover songs at all. 7/10

The Union - Siren's Song

It's not too bad in a Paige and Plant way, but when it kicks off it loses whatever charm it had. It was acceptable in the early 90's. 6/10

Straight Line Stitch - Cold Front

This is not my thing. It just sounds like a shitty wrestling theme. She sings like Gwen Steffani, and I hate that. 3/10

The Birthday Massacre - Red Stars

Look at their stupid emo hair, I hate them already. Song isn't the worst though, bit over produced. It's different enough to what I would expect from the look of them. 6/10

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band ft. Tom Morello - Ghost of Tom Joad

Not much to say about this, Bruce is my all time hero, and I've been to many Rage shows in my time. Rage did a fine cover of this song on their own, but this performance gives me goosebumps every time. 10/10

Jaynes Addiction - Mountain Song

It's a fine tune alright, but the Fleetwood Mac riff sort of ruins it for me. There are better JA songs, but it's still good. 7/10

Nas and Damian "Jr. Gong" marley- Count Your Blessings

Nice, happy tune. A little bit of back slapping going on within the lyrics though. It's fine though, but I wouldn't care to hear it again. 6/10

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole "In This Life"

No thanks, it's not for me. Too sappy. 2/10

Shonen Knife - Flu

I'll never get the Japanese thing you have, but each to their own. Punk can be good, this isn't Punk though, I don't know what it is. It's just bad. Sorry. 2/10.

The other video didn't load for me.

I'll get to the rest later.

Edited by Dave7g

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The electronic guitar and bass is at war all right :lol

Electronic guitar?

Phil

Edguy - Hallowed

Nice little intro. It made me whoa! I love me some power metal and these guys remind me of Helloween. Seriously, is this a Helloween song? Wow, they sound a LOT alike. That's cool though, I'm a Helloween fan from way back. Nice little breakdown/half tempo feel before the solo. For a six minute song, it really didn't feel like it. I really dig this. I don't know why, but good power metal gives me hope for humanity on a level I can't quite comprehend. 8/10

Warmachine - Movin' on

Aww! I had high hopes for this, Phil. This is like a poor man's Bullet For My Valentine. I don't like the vocals at all. The dueling guitar solos were okay. You know what this reminds me of? This is like one of those songs you find on the free CD you get with a copy of Revolver. 4/10

Dave7g

Starsmith - Lesson One: It's inoffensive, but is quite generic and sounds VERY much like another song that I just can't remember the name of for the life of me. 4/10

Chemical Brothers - Horse Power: This is f*cking atrocious. 1/10

Maxximus

WASP - Hold On To My Heart: This is bog-standard 80s "hair-metal band does a ballad" fare, which isn't a bad thing. It's not a good thing either... it's just a thing. 5/10

Trivium - In Waves(Live Jam): This is better, but I could do without the screeching vocals from the lead singer. Without that, I'd have really liked it instead of just thinking it was OK. 6/10

Darkstar

Massive Attack - Angel: This isn't an in-your-face anthem, but a "slowly drilling into your brain" piece of beauty. With songs, I usually end up having images in my head of what part of a movie or videogame it would suit and this is PERFECT for a trailer to Max Payne or the sequel. 9/10

Bloodhound Gang - Fire, Water, Burn: I don't think I've heard a song from these guys that I didn't like. 8/10

BratSan

Aqualung - Brighter Than Sunshine: This is alright for what it is. I know I'd listen to it on the bus while reading the paper/doing a crossword, but I wouldn't actively seek it out. 6/10

Carolina Liar - I'm Not Over: I think this is pretty damn good and, as some others have said, would be played at the end of a Match of the Day special (e.g. last game of the season, FA Cup final or England international). You can even picture in your head which images would be shown to which parts of the song. 7/10

Inno

Storm Large - Where Is My Mind?: This is a very good song that makes me want to listen to some more of her work. 7/10

The Union - Siren's Song: A killer riff, moody vocals and great lyrics add up to an addition to the music catalogue. 9/10

Omega

Straight Line Stitch - Cold Front: I like it a lot, even if it sounds like a lot of female-fronted bands along the lines of Lacuna Coil that you'd find playing on Scuzz a few years back. 7/10

The Birthday Massacre - Red Stars: WHAT A F*CKING GREAT RIFF!! I adore this track and it's only been playing for four seconds. The vocals seem at odds with the music, but that's part of the appeal. 8/10

TheDef

Nas and Damian Marley- Count Your Blessings: A seriously cool summer track that would make you want to cut a rug while walking to the shops. 8/10

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole- In This Life: Slit-your-wrists awful is the best way to describe this. A subtle as a sledgehammer to the face and just as painful. 2/10

Shaun2J

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band ft. Tom Morello - Ghost of Tom Joad: I like most of what Bruce Springsteen has done (I still listen to Streets of Philadelphia every day) and this is firmly in the "like" camp. Not among his best work, but worth a listen. 6/10

Jane's Addiction - Mountain Song: BOOBIES!!! OK, in all seriousness, this isn't all that great and the track kinda just trundles along. 4/10

Anime Otaku

Anamanaguchi - Jetpack Blues, Sunset Hues: Little Jimmy wants his SNES back. Terrible in every sense of the word. 0.5/10

Shonen Knife - Flu: The music is really good, but the lyrics/vocals completely ruin it. If this was an instrumental, it would get a high score, but as it's not... 3/10

Jimmy Redman

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Goodbye Hooray: It's OK, but as it's from RHCP, that's a disappointment. The sound is definitely their sound, but it's just not as good as they can do it. 5/10

The Roots - 75 Bars (Black's Reconstruction): I was very surprised by how good this was. It's very old-school sounding and really had me listening hard. This would be used as the montage scene of how a drug gang was taking over a neighbourhood. 7/10

Dante Spears

Taylor Swift - Mine: It's bland "can listen with every member of the family" safeness and if that's what you want in a song, this is perfect for you. For me, it's alright and I was going to let her finish... 3/10

Babamania - Doobee Doowop Communication: As with one of Anime's picks, if this was an instrumental, I'd have rated it with a decent score. As it is, the vocals destroyed my soul. 1/10 (for the tune only)

Phil

Edguy - Hallowed: This started really quietly, but then it kicked in and it sounds exactly like mid-era Iron Maiden, which is no bad thing. Over-produced, but enjoyable to listen to. 7/10

WarMachine - Movin' On: It started off really well... and then the vocals started. It's not that they were bad, they just weren't powerful enough to go with the music. 4/10

My picks -:

Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven

[video=youtube;AscPOozwYA8]

Ocean Colour Scene-The Riverboat Song

[video=youtube;IdnJbN5KEUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdnJbN5KEUg

DeeCee

You bastard.

Not only do I not need to listen to this track, but I flat out refuse. It's brutal. Everything about this song is heart breaking. I can be a sensitive, over emotional girl at times and this song is one that would have me reaching for my 'woe is me' playlist. I'd be worthless for days trying to crawl back out of the depression that I put myself into by listening to this. It's just so amazingly powerful. I'll never forget exactly where I was when this song premiered. Part of me died that day. 10/10

Ah hell yeah, son! I've never heard of these guys before and I was sucked in from the opening note. This is a sick jam. HOLY CRAP! TAMBOURINE! Wicked! WAH WAH SOLO! I'm in love over here. There wasn't a single thing I didn't like about this song. I'll be looking into this band immediately. Favorited and playlisted. 9/10

Edguy - Hallowed

The rif is very like Benoits entrance music, bonus points there. The rest, well its just run of the mill metal to me. It sounds like pretty much every other song in its genre. Its not horrible though, just meh. 5/10

WarMachine - Movin' On

A touch better than the last, but only a touch. Though this one scared my cat away. :lol 6/10

I used to know Eric Claptons daughter Ruth. True story. Nice kid.

Anyway, great song. In that catagory of just amazing no matter what. Nothing wrong at all IMO. 10/10

One of my favourite songs from a great band. I dont even need to listen. 10/10

Guest Beefhead

Anime Otaku

Anamanaguchi - Jetpack Blues, Sunset Hues: Yeah not crazy for 8 bit music, but dont hate it either. Rather run of the mill even for 8 bit music. 5/0

Shonen Knife - Flu: 6/10 for the music and Im ignoring the vocals.

Jimmy Redman

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Love this song. Got the new album and figured Id hate it without Frusciante but this other cat is pretty good. The Chili's arte my favorite band ever.

The Roots - 75 Bars (Black's Reconstruction): I dig the roots. This song is a pretty damn good track. Need more roots in my life 8/10

Dante Spear

Taylor Swift - Mine: I like Taylor Swift. This is my least favorite Taylor song though. Kinda boring paint by numbers song. 4/10

Babamania - Doobee Doowop Communication: Nope 2/10

Phil

Edguy - Hallowed: This was ok. I liked this song. Not sure Id listen to it often but maybe a once in while kinda track 6/10

WarMachine - Movin' On: Yeah like somebody else said. The music just seemed a lot more intense than the vocals and it was a little mismatched. It was ok though, not bad at all. 7/10

DC

Eric Clapton- Tears in Heaven: This is Eric Clapton here, for my money it doesnt get much better than Clapton. This song is a classic, not much to say really 10/10

Ocean Colour Scene-River Song:This was really great. Never heard of em before but they reminded me of The Stones which is never a bad thing. Looking for more now 10/10

Guest Anime Otaku

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Goodbye Hooray

Liking this! The vocals do get a little bit lost in the mix some times but it's really good. I had heard the new album wasn't to god but I think I'm gonna get it now. 8/10 because RHCP have done better songs, any other band this might have been a 9 or 10.

The roots – 75 bars

Like this one too, great beat and the flow is good too, the effect on his voice is a bit grating but it's not enough to really detract from it. 7/10

Taylor swift – mine

I was going to make a joke about Kanye West or Beyonce having the greatest video OF! ALL! TIME! but I won't. Really don't like this at all. Just dull, feel like I heard it a billion times before. 1/10 because her voice isn't particularly offensive.

Babamania - Doobee Doowop Communication

This just made me grin, it's not great but it's just good silly fun, kinda like a rapping version of Shonen Knife or Mikabomb. 8/10

Edguy - Hallowed

Like some good bombastic OTT metal and this hit the spot. The vocals remind me of Iron Maiden, which is awesome. Love the riff and drums too. Though it is a bit over long. 7/10

WarMachine - Movin' On

I've been on a bit of a Comic Book kick recently, specifically Marvel so the name of the band kind of amuses me. The music is good, again nice riff (seriously gimmie a good riff and I'm happy) and I love the solos. The vocals are okay though maybe they could be a bit louder when everything really kicks in they get a bit muffled. 8/10

Eric Clapton- Tears in Heaven

Not for me at all. Over hyped, over played and over wrought, the guitar is nice but the song does nothing for me. 0/10

If I wanted to listen to a sad song "The Drugs Don't Work" by The Verve or "Me And A Gun" by Tori Amos (the original, the version from "Legs And Boots" makes me want to find the guy and do things to him with a rusty butter knife) are infinitely better.

Ocean Colour Scene-River Song

THIS IS MORE LIKE IT! I love this song, it rivals "Money For Nothing" for my favourite guitar riff ever. 10/10

Oh, and DC, if you're going to slag something off you might want to do some fact finding first. Anamanaguchi use the sound chips from a NES and a GameBoy in their music, not a SNES.

Yes, I'm fully aware I'm being pedantic.

Edited by Anime Otaku

Edguy - Hallowed

See metal isn't my thing and I don't really like the Bruce Dickinson style vocals. The music itself is OK.

4/10

WarMachine - Movin' On

Nah liked Edguy better. The vocals were shit and the music doesn't work for me.

1/10

It's very moving this song, Clapton really went through some shit back then. Actually haven't heard it in ages so it's kinda refreshing for me.

9/10

Ocean Colour Scene - River Song

Very nice riff, got a 70's touch to it like Led Zep. I'll be listening to these guys, see what else they've got.

8/10

Phil

Edguy - Hallowed

I dig this. I love this kinda style, has touches of Bruce Dickinson and the mighty mighty Bang Camaro in places, no bad thing. I likey a lot.

9/10

Warmachine - Movin' on

Not as keen on this. Kinda middle of the road... like Nickelback sped up and fed through a computer (detecting hints of autotuner on the vocals?)

6/10

DC

Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven

Don't even need to listen to it, heard it so often and seen the video so many times. Powerful stuff.

8/10

Ocean Colour Scene - The Riverboat Song

Loses a point for reminding me of Chris Evans, but still sounds good and makes me wanna zip about on a vespa.

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

DC

Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven

Gets a perfect 10/10 without even buffering. Heard it about gazillion times and some more :).

Ocean Colour Scene - The Riverboat Song

The riff on the guitar is sick and the vocals are equally entertaining. Whoa. Gonna check this band out later. Alright Ocean Colour Scene, you have my attention. :)

9/10