Fan Clubs | beta

Music Club II

Dude, the singer from Straight Line Stitch can rip, she just doesn't on this track, chosen for those who don't like all out metal growling in mind.

EDIT: Also she is amazingly sexy. Seriously.

http://www.muenmagazine.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/straight-line-stitch-300x246.jpg

Edited by Omega

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight Line Stitch - Cold Front

I'm not too big on "core" bands, I'm very picky in music generally anyway. Tbh the singer is just another one of those female singers, not in the sense of Haley Williams but specifically in this genre of music. It's not my world but it's not atrocious.

4/10

The Birthday Massacre - Red Stars

Again not my world but the instrumentals to the verse are OK as is the grinding bridge riff. Not to keen on the extra touchings of Synthesizers and programming but it's different. Vocals don't do anything for me, don't really find em that great.

5/10

----------------------------------------------

So it's my turn

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band ft. Tom Morello - Ghost of Tom Joad

Now Tom isn't really a great vocalist but damn he blasts everything out you've heard from RATM and Audioslave. It's a long one but I advise you to watch the video too.

[video=youtube;OLFLrTnue9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFLrTnue9s

Jane's Addiction - Mountain Song

[video=youtube;AJ5kGqOstMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5kGqOstMc

It's also TheDef's turn today, so remember to get your reviews in.

Guest Dante Spears

3/10 - Guitar rift was cool but outside of that nothing stood out to me as like...interesting.

4/10 - One for each tit in the video.

7/10 - Yeah I can dig this. It's always nice to hear a heavier song with a lead singer that doesn't have a voice like sandpaper on your ear.

5/10 - I actually really liked the vocals, but the intro and the riffs just ruined the song for me, it's like they inserted that static sound from a dead screen into the track.

Storm Large - "Where Is My Mind?"

4/10 - Don't get me wrong it's good I just wasn't particularly enthralled by it.

The Union - Siren's Song

7/10. I didn't mind this one that much, it's a lot better then some of the stuff posted here.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Storm Large "Where Is My Mind?" This is nice in a slow, mellow kind of way. She has a nice voice, and its a good song too. Isnt blowing me away or making me want to buy it, but its fun to listen to. 6/10

The Union "Siren's Song" This reminds me of another old Music Club song, and I cant place it. Anywho, I like it. I might have said this before but I'm in the mood for some rock lately, and this fits in nicely. Cool bluesy sound, cool vocals, and cool when it gets into the rocking. Liked. 7/10

Straight Line Stitch "Cold Front" I like this a lot. I really like the music, thumping good slightly nu-metalish rocking. Dont even care about the emo lyrics, the vocals are still cool. I can keep listening to this. 7/10

The Birthday Massacre "Red Stars" Wow, yeah, definitely felt the molten lead face-rape. So much so that its almost incongruous with the quiet verse and female vocal. Gives me a Lacuna Coil vibe, in my relatively novice level knowledge of female bands. I also like the song, by the way. 7/10

Guest Beefhead

Innovator

Storm Large- Where is my mind?

This is very very nice. I liked it alot. You've introduced me to Storm Large but this is the first time Ive listened to her music :lol Wont be the last I think9/10

The Union= siren's song

Incredible. I loved this. The monster Magnet/Soundgarden comparison from maxxi was on point. Very Chris Cornell sounding vocals. Some killer guitar work in the middle. Just great stuff. Love this song 10/10

Omega-man

Straight Line Stitch- Cold front

This is just starting and already I like it. The singer has a nice voice, and you can tell she can scream if she needs to too. Im not always a fan of screaming, but it can be good sometimes. I may check out some more stuff from them later too. I like the parts of this that get a little harder, but think that I may not like anything that goes too much harder. Definitely gonna listen to some more and find out. All in all it all works nicely. 9/10

The Birthday Massacre- Red Stars

I like this even more than the last song. The music, and vocals are both very nice. The harder riff cutting in and out of the softer stuff is nice, its like its all very relaxing and then grrrrrrrrrrrrr, and then lets just chill some more. I like it alot, it's kind of a different approach. 9/10

ShaunJ 2 Dope

Burce Springsteen and Tom Morello- Ghost of Tom Joad

Whats to say it's typical Bruce, which I love. Great voice, awesome lyrics, and both guys do some very nice guitar work. 9/10

Jane's Addiction- Mountain Song

There is something I dont like about Perry Farrel, but it's not his music. This is pretty good. I haven't listened to much Jane's addiction in a long time, admittedly due to not liking Perry. This isn't a great song by any means but its not bad and makes me wanna listen to more so that's cool. 7/10

Finalizing my picks now. Alright here goes

Nas and Damian "Jr. Gong" marley- Count Your Blessings

Im a big time fans of older rap music, and a sometimes follower of the newer stuff, and Nas/Marley's album Distant relatives was the first of a handful of great rap albums that dropped the last few years. This is my favorite track.

[video=youtube;ckS5DZRkWqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckS5DZRkWqI

Now back to posting stuff Im sure most club members wont like lol.

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole- In this life

This guys is amazing, I first heard him in 50 first dates, singing his amazing cover of somewhere over the rainbow. Everyone should read up on this guy, he died a few years back, but just what a cool guy he seemed like. This is a cover of one of my favorite Collin raye songs, and like his somewhere over the rainbow is the best version recorded.

[video=youtube;yxLXmAiI6K4]

Edited by Beefhead

Guest Jimmy Redman

Bruce Springsteen & Tom Morello "Ghost of Tom Joad" I do like me some Bruce. Also like Tom Morello. So this wins. Bruce is epic live and the extra guitar just adds to it. Cool song too, although its a bit on the long side. 7/10

Jane's Addiction "Mountain Song" JA are one of those bands whom I've heard of a hell of a lot without ever going and listening to them. This is now a bad thing, because I really like this song. Love the intro bassline. Its a cool, rocking song. Now I know I need to check out more of them, so thats a win. 8/10

Nas & Damian Marley "Count Your Blessings" This is a wicked mellow beat. I've never been interested in Bob Marley, or Damian, but his parts are nice to go along with the beat and with Nas. Nas rules, it hardly needs to be said. Really cool song. 8/10

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole "In This Life" Wow, this is definitely a Collin Raye song. Emo as hell. The guy has a nice voice, for sure, but the song itself is just kind of boring. 4/10

Shaun2J

Simply amazing. It gave me goosebumps. I love Tom's over underhand harmonic technique followed by the RATM solo. He also has a pretty good voice for this style. Added to favorites! 10/10

One of my favorite songs from my favorite Jane's Addiction album. 8/10

Beefhead

Nas & Damian Marley - Count Your Blessings

Didn't I turn you on to this? ; )

This isn't my favorite song from the duo. It's alright though. Maybe a bit TOO island for me if that makes sense. 7/10

In This Life -Braddah IZ

Oh, Beefhead, this is lovely. I hate it.

He's like the Hawaii'n Bryan Adams. This song should be in a Ralph Macchio movie. Sorry bruddah. 1/10

Edited by Maxximus

Guest BratSan

Inno

Storm Large - Where Is My Mind

Classic. Sheer joy listening to it. Have heard it like hundred times in all the versions. This one is not as good as the original, but comes close. And yeah, I agree with Shaun, she is HOT. :D 7/10

The Union - Siren's Song

Blues mixed with a rock-ish flavor. I like it like I love it. :D

The guitars and opening vocals were pretty freaking awesome. Riff is pretty neat and the melody stands out. Good one Inno.

7/10

Omega

Yeah, oh yeah. I dig this,bro. The lead vocals is pretty decent. I like the guitars as well as the drums. Lyrics is decent.

While jotting this down, I have already heard this song 4-5 times, which is good. I am definitely gonna check them out later.

8/10

Wow. Its good. I was expecting it to s*ck. But its has genuinely surprised me and in a good way. The riff is pretty heavy. The flow is catchy and the lead vocal is pretty awesome. I will be definitely checking out their other songs. 8/10

Storm Large - "Where Is My Mind?"

That note at the start is horrible. The balance between her voice and the piano is pretty poor as well. Normally I dont mind the Storm Large stuff, but this is going right through me. Maybe just Im not in the mood, but no. 3/10

The Union - Siren's Song

OK, this is better. Much better. Loving that blues style pickin'. Yeah, the transformation from blues into rock is nicely done and the guys voice fits both brilliantly. This should be the theme track for a cop show.

Oh hang on, we have some prog rock going on now, why did Marillion turn up for 15 or so seconds? :lol

That change jarred me out a bit, took it down from a 9 to 8/10

Love her voice, not so much a fan of the backing growls when they happen. Still they do fit at least. Its like what Evernesence... Evernessessence.... Amy Lee wanted to be. I think I could grow to really like this track. 8/10

Too heavy for me from the off. Nice voice on the singer mind, and when its not being heavy then I quite like it. 5/10

Bruce Springsteen and Tom Morello- Ghost of Tom Joad

OK, not as good as I expect from The Boss. 6/10

Jane's Addiction- Mountain Song

Hate the vocals. The music is OK. Not my cup of tea Im afraid. 5/10

Nas and Damian "Jr. Gong" marley- Count Your Blessings

Starts promising, head nodding, toe tapping tune. Ahhhhh, vocals arent anything worth writing home about and the lyrics seem really forced. The raps not bad though, normally thats the bit I dislike most in a song. :lol 6/10

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole- In this life

Great voice on the guy, reminds me of someone, but I cant put my finger on it. Sickly sweet song though, it was nice but after a while it was just too much. 5/10 entirely for his voice.

Hmm it's OK, nice tune and all but the vocals aren't pulling me in.

5/10

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - In this life

I was gonna post Hawai'i 78 from Iz but it was pipped by the Mountain Song. He was an incredible singer and it's great that he got some recognition after "Over the Rainbow". This song itself isn't really the best I've heard from him but I highly recommend a few other songs from him. I'm gonna break a rule here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrbaN42tDFE&feature=related

8/10

Guest BratSan

Shaun2J

Bruce Springsteen & Tom Morello "Ghost of Tom Joad"

I LOVE Bruce's voice. His guitar work needs no intro, nor does Tom's. Though the song is a little bit on the longer side, I still like the flow of it overall. Mainly because of the guitar masters selling their craft. Love watching it video more than just listening to it. Just seeing them perform adds that x-factor to this one. Specially Tom blows me away with his underhand. 7/10

Jane's Addiction "Mountain Song"

Just love the intro bass-line. That part itself does it for me. Its a cool rock tune with good strong vocals. Have heard it before and will do again. 7/10

TheDef

Nas & Damian Marley "Count Your Blessings"

Wow, I have never heard this song before. What a shame. I really like the mellow-ish feel to it and the beats gets me tripping my legs to its rhythm. The rap as well as the vocals are pretty neat. Thank you man for introducing me to this song. 8/10

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole "In This Life"

Naah, sorry. This song doesn't appeal to me at all. Agreed that the guy had pretty neat voice, but the song overall is pretty bland and sounds boring to me, even the tune and rhythm sounds too slow for my liking. 2/10

I shall catch up on all these later today, after braving what appears to be a tropical storm outside to take the boy to rugby training. As in: I shall sit in the cafe with a coffee while he's outside in the rain and wind and mud.

Guest Anime Otaku

Sorry I've not been keeping up, this is going to be a long post. My picks are at the bottom.

WASP - Hold On To My Heart

Yeah, not really feeling this. It's nicely put together with some good guitar work in there but it's just not clicking at all for me. 3/10

Trivium - In Waves

This is more my thing. LOVING the guitars in this, screaming/growling is something I'm not a huge fan of but they didn't over do it in this one. 8/10

Starsmith - Lesson One

Definitely getting the Daft Punk/Cornelius vibe off of this. Nice chilled out tune, can imagine this being good to chill to after a late night out. 8/10

Chemical Brothers - Horse Power

I LOVE the Chemical Brothers, didn't love this though at all, I pretty much hated it actually. Much prefer the likes of Hey Boy, Hey Girl or Galvanize. 1/10

Aqualung - Brighter Than Sunshine

Inoffensive at best. Not something that'd make me turn over the TV or Radio if it came on but it doesn't really grab me either. 3/10

Carolina Liar - I'm Not Over

(Insert currently well pushed but unpopular wrestler joke here) Better than the last one due to being a bit more up beat and catchy but not great. 5/10

Massive Attack - Angel

Didn't recognise the title but I remembered it within seconds of the video starting, love how moody this sounds. Great but not the best Massive Attack song though. 8/10

Bloodhound Gang - Fire, Water Burn

I really like Bloodhound Gang, it always amazes me how much they get away with lyrics wise (and the gag at the end of the vid). Simple music but the lyrics are funny just like most of the songs I've heard from them. 8/10

Storm Large - Where Is My Mind?

Not heard the original that I remember so I can't really compare. She's got a really good voice and the music is nice but not really grabbing me. 7/10

The Union - Siren's Song

Yeah, liking this a lot. Great vocals, like the way the music really kicks in just over a minute in then changes again around 1.40 and again around the 2 minute mark. The fact I can't find this on iTunes makes me sad. 9/10

Nice enough vocals and the music is good and fairly catchy too though I feel like I've heard it a hundred times. 6/10

Yeah Liking this a bit more than the last one, love the riff, doesn't want me want to headbutt things though. 7/10

This is pretty good. The guitars are really good as they should be, the vocals are a just OK though. 7/10 The guitars did a lot of the heavy lifting for this one

Not listened to much Jane's Addiction before, think I might of heard this one before. Like the riffs and the vocals are alright. 7/10

The beat is something a bit different in this one which is nice. I'm a big Nas fan not listened to Damian Marley before except for collaborations like this, he's got a nice voice. 9/10

He's got a really nice voice but the song just isn't doing anything for me at all. 4/10, like DS only getting this for the voice.

First of my picks is a Chiptune/Indie punk band from New York

Anamanaguchi - Jetpack Blues, Sunset Hues

[video=youtube;N7bIMrNjMk8]

My second song was going to be Iron Horse's cover of Suicide Solution but since I can't find it I'm going to go with a quirky song from a Japanese all female pop punk band.

Shonen Knife - Flu

[video=youtube;EnOSfs1jca8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnOSfs1jca8

Nah, I've never been a springsteen fan, I don't really like this kind of folky/rock stuff that really should have died along time ago. Tom has a surprisingly good voice and you generally have to be impressed with his skill but it felt shoe horned in and made the song last much longer than it needed to. 1/10

Never been a big Jane's Addiction fan either and really that's down to Perry Farrell on vocals. I loathe his voice. The song part of it was ok though, put just about any othe vocalist on and I'd have been more into it. 3/10

Not for me, I don't think Nas and Marley work well here. Nas grates on a nice easy track with his hard rapping style. 3/10

Sappy to the point I just didn't even want to listen to it. Sounded like an old ballad from the 70's but without any real personality. 4/10

After 30 seconds the novelty of the 8 bit music wears off and the song goes on and on and on. 1/10

Shonen Knife - Flu

I quite like off the wall Japanese punk like this. It's not for the purists of punk but it's a good tune, funny lyrics and punk singing is one of those genres where the fact the vocalist has a heavy accent doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Wouldn't buy it but I'd listen to it on the radio or a mix CD or something like that. 6/10

Guest BratSan

Anime Otaku

Nah.Not my cup of tea. This 8 bit-Nintendo alike music is not at all appealing, not even in video games. Sorry bro. 1/10

Shonen Knife - Flu

Again, not to my liking. I am not one to read much into heavy accent or funny lyrics but I really cant be bothered with this one. The voice does nothing for me as it goes on in the same tone over and over again. And this is NOT proper punk music per se. I chose not to listen to it, ever. Again. 2/10