Fan Clubs | beta

Music Club II

First up for Ph...errrr, me, is Angel by Massive Attack. I love this song so much and the video so basic but works amazingly.

[video=youtube;ygw2zmEVsvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygw2zmEVsvc&feature=related

My second choice is Bloodhound Gangs 'Fire, Water, Burn'. Maybe my favourite comedy track ever.

[video=youtube;Adgx9wt63NY]

Or if you want to read the lyrics rather than see the video

[video=youtube;6xJW7foStBY]

Edited by Paul

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dave7g

Aqualung - Brighter than Sunshine

Heard it a million times, either on Match of the Day montages or on ads. I remember thinking at the time it was ok, but listening now. It's not. It's sappy, wet bullshit. Sorry dude. I suppose the proof of the substance of that band is where they are now, which is nowhere. Harsh but fair. 4/10

Carolina Liar - Tell me what I'm looking for

I'm sorry, but I ****ing hate this kind of sappy shite. I've heard this song a bajillion times before because it's so safe to play on the radio. It sounds like the Script/Snow Patrol and about a hundred other bands that should be knocked down by armoured tanks. Bands that release this dirt never amount to anything more than their one hit wonder. If you see them tell them I hate them. 1/10

Brighter Than Sunshine: Aqualung

Like a better Scouting for Girls. Its quite chilled out, but nothing I'd go out of my way to find or listen to again. Probably nice sunny saturdays drinking in the garden with a BBQ on the go sort of music. 6/10

I Am Not Over: Carolina Liar

I quite liked this until the chorus. Yeah, when its the slightly more sedate verses its quite good, but then meh. 6/10

Maxximus

WASP - Hold On To My Heart

BLACKIE! YEEEEAH! Distinct lack of razor codpiece here, which I may dock a point for... Seriously, all the 80s metal bands knew how to put a power ballad together. It always struck me as weird that metal fans allowed that to happen... but I digress. I do like this, always have. Classy choice.

8/10

Trivium - In Waves

I despise Trivium. Just... ugh. Cannot see the point of this band at all. They sound like a million billion gajillion other bands. Not my bag at all.

1/10

Dave7G

Starsmith - Lesson One

Inoffensive background music. It does sound a bit like that "Music Sounds Better With You" track... was that Stardust? I dunno though... this wouldn't be out of place on CSI Miami on one of their "we're pretending to do exciting lab tests" montages...

6/10

The Chemical Brothers - Horse Power

Meh. Don't get the fuss around the Chemical Brothers, to be honest. I certainly don't see this as heavier than metal... it's just... blah.

2/10

BratSan

Aqualung - Brighter Than Sunshine

Hey look kids! It's a Keane/Coldplay clone. Next.

1/10

Carolina Liar - I Am Not Over

Yea, I like this. It'll pop up on Match Of The Day highlight packages sooner or later, it has that kinda feel to it. I could listen to this a lot and not get tired of it.

8/10

Darkstar

Massive Attack - Angel

Didn't like the song, not my scene but I watched to the end to see the video. Love that!

2/10 (song) / 10/10 (video)

The Bloodhound Gang - Fire Water Burn

Can't beat a bit of Blodhounds. This was my fave track on the album I heard. Underrated band.

8/10

Guest Jimmy Redman

Aqualung "Brighter than Sunshine" This sounds like every song on an ad ever. Having said that, I thought I'd get sick of it by now and I havent, its perfectly fine to listen to sitting here. So its not bad at all. 6/10

Carolina Liar "I'm Not Over" I've seen this before. Its fine for what it is, that kind of earnest rock song. The hook is catchy enough to work, but really its not my cup of tea. 4/10

Massive Attack "Angel" I know this! The West Wing! Zoe's been kidnapped! Amy and Donna! ARGH! OK, I know this song. A little better than the average dance track, but for what it represents to me its an easy 8/10

Bloodhound Gang "Fire, Water, Burn" I like Bloodhounds on spec, but this song, and I do know it already, doesnt do much for me. Not even sure why, to be honest, but I want to like it more than I do. Not that its bad, its fine and funny in places, but just, meh. 5/10

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Dave7g

Massive Attack - Angel

Quality stuff from Massive Attack as almost always. Deep and powerful music. You can't really fault anything. It's a shame they ruined themselves in my eyes with the bullshit they posted on Facebook supporting the London rioters. Still, they are in that upper tier of quality music. 8/10

Bloodhound Gang - Fire, Water, Burn

The Gang are a great comedy band, there's not much to dislike at all. And also this is one of my favourite tunes by them. so yeah. Good choices all round DS. Colour me impressed. 7/10

Guest BratSan

DarkStar

Massive Attack - Angel

Nah, not the kind of trip-hop track I would generally listen to. The beginning sounded like a metal gear video game intro.

This track was there in Guy Ritchie's Snatch I guess. Stop running and face your fears. :) Nice video but I would not particularly go out of way to get hold of their album. 5/10

What was that? I don't like the vocals et al. To me, the vocals are the lowest point of this track. The video is funny though. To quote Jimmy "Not that its bad, its fine and funny in places, but just, meh". My exact reaction. 4/10

Aqualung "Brighter than Sunshine"

Bored. It's not offensively bad or anything it's just the middle of the road indie pop that floats through the airwaves and is lost 5 minutes later. 3/10

Carolina Liar "I'm Not Over"

Couldn't be trying harder to be the Dandy Warhols who I don't particularly like anyway. 2/10

Massive Attack "Angel"

Great sing that has been over used in film and TV. Still a great song in it's own right but simply because of the overplay it gets 8/10

Bloodhound Gang "Fire, Water, Burn"

Also my favourite BHG song. Only thing I hate is the Outro since it lasts a minute or more. However the whole frank black/barry white line is simply lyrical genius. 9/10

Guest Beefhead

BratSan

Yeah somebody said it better than me and called it a coldplay clone. Thats not necessarily a bad thing but they dont do it as well as coldplay.

4/10

Carolina Liar - I Am Not Over

This was pretty good. I have never heard of this group before. Totally something Id check out again.

8/10

Darkstar

Massive Attack - Angel

I liked this. Not sure that I would go out of my way to find an album but maybe Ill listen to a few more tracks here and there to find out if I like the group or just the track. I have a feeling it may be just the track. 8/10

The Bloodhound Gang - Fire Water Burn

Hmmm I loved this song when it was new, but listening to it now, not as much. One of my least favorite songs by The BHG. I mean its not bad and it gets a couple extra points for being the song that introduced me to the gang.

6/10

Check out Teardrop by Massive Attack if you want to see if they appeal anymore. I love that song, but I used it a while back in a past Music Club.

SCARY BABY VIDEO! AGGGGH!

Check out Teardrop by Massive Attack if you want to see if they appeal anymore. I love that song, but I used it a while back in a past Music Club.

It's also the theme song to House.

Anyway...

BratSan

This was okay and inoffensive, so I didn't like it at all. It was a bit too slow and poppy for me. Not to mention an overtly cheesy love song, but the music and vocals aren't bad. This is not something I would listen to and if I heard it on the radio or something I would switch it over. 1/10

Carolina Liar - I'm Not Over

This is a little better. It's more uptempo and has a nice little rough edge to it. The chorus is nice and catchy. I would have never listened to this had it not been for the music club and in this case that's a good thing. Nice harmonization on the vocals. 6/10

Chubstar

Massive Attack - Angel I don't even need to listen to this, but I'm going to anyway. I have a secret love for Massive Attack and this is is one of my favorite songs by them. It's just so ethereal, smooth and captivating. What movie do I also know this from, it's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite place it? Anyway, 8/10.

Bloodhound Gang - Fire Water Burn

This is another that I don't need to listen to. I'm a big fan of the Bloodhound gang. I've heard this song a f*ck ton and it has so many great quotes, as well as an awesome Frank Black reference! Yo, yo! 7/10

The whole of that Mezzanine album by Massive Attack is an absolute solid gold classic.

Awesome, awesome chill out when getting home from partying at 4am music.

God yeah, I used to love it when I needed ot chill a bit.

Storm Large - "Where Is My Mind?"

[video=youtube_share;dz73gqS9quE]

Yeah it's a cover of a Pixies song, which is usually a BAD THING... but dammit, this version is incredible. The huge note she hits at 2.35 gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

The Union - "Siren's Song"

[video=youtube_share;7nOhUN2TnO8]http://youtu.be/7nOhUN2TnO8

First track off their new album, due out in October. I just love this, the smooth blues, the big riff, and the awesome vocals.

Carolina Liar - I'm Not Over

Pretty bland radio friendly pop rock, could have mistaken them for a load of other bands. Not into it.

2/10

Another example of playing by the book, same stuff seen it all before. Not into him.

1/10

Massive Attack - Angel

Oh yeah I've heard of this. Was never into Massive Attack but I could do with a few songs, especially the baby one and this is OK too. Some songs leave me cold for some reason.

7/10

I kinda grew out of Bloodhound Gang, still think they're OK but not a great band. Fire, Water, Burn is one of my favourites from them but I can't really enjoy like I maybe did a few years ago.

6/10

Storm Large - "Where Is My Mind

Very nice, like the original version better but this is good. Heard of Storm Large in the previous Music Clubs, she's hot but I already said that in the hot or not thread back then....she read that :D.

7/10

The Union - Siren's Song

Like some blues now and then and the riff is the shit. The vocals though were ace, may look out for these guys.

9/10

Straight Line Stitch - Cold Front

[video=youtube;bHy0yKbBMck]

The Birthday Massacre - Red Stars

[video=youtube;HLUHZBaGR_I]

Randomly I've ended up with two female fronted bands which really isn't my usual scene to be honest but just love both these tunes at the moment. SLS are much much heavier than the track I picked but TBM are generally about this heavy give or take the fact the riff from Red Stars is like getting face f*cked with molten lead.

Mr. Inno

Storm Large - Where is My Mind

I try to avoid damn near every version of this song at all costs. It's one of the few that I have difficulty listening too without tearing up. It holds a very special relevance to me. "You met me at a very strange time in my life." 10/10. Beautiful.

The Union - Siren's Song

Right out of the gate this reminded me of a very bluesy Soundgarden/Monster Magnet. I love the vocals and the guitar work is awesome. Really sludgy and then melodious for the breakdown. Yeah, this rocks pretty hard. 8/10

OmegaMan

Straight Line Stitch - Cold Front

I'm very picky when it comes to female metal singers. This isn't too bad. I love the drums but everything else seems kinda cookie cutter-ish, but in my opinion, IWrestledABearOnce is the only female frontman metal band worth listening to. I am giving this a chance though. It's a little better than okay. 6/10

The Birthday Massacre - Red Stars

[...]the riff from Red Stars is like getting face f*cked with molten lead.

I'm down with that, and yeah. Face. Melted. Off. That riff is like Fear factory heavy. It almost makes me want to bang my head against the wall for the sheer brutality of it. Almost...

I actually love the vocals on this track. I'll give this band more of a listen. 7/10