Fan Clubs | beta

Music Club II

Guest Magic

Tbh, not really surprised by the reaction, but I like them so who cares! :D

As for Monsters Maxx, I couldn't get anything that wasn't live. They've now fired the keybordist and have a bassist and a lead guitarist, and they sound an awful lot better for it. And as far as the local scene around here is going they're doing pretty well :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over The Wall - Thurso

Don't really impressed, very end of the episode song like Maxx said. Don't have a problem with the many instruments though but it got on my nerves in the end.

3/10

Monsters On Movie Posters - Coming Home

Oh I think you mentioned them before. It may have sounded better if it wasn't taken with a mobile phone but I'm gonna jump the bandwagon and say it wasn't my taste at all but I can understand why people might like them.

3/10

So here are my picks

Brad - Screen

This is Stone Gossards other band he plays in.

[video=youtube;ahUw17bhQ3U]

P - Michael Stipe

P was band with the Butthole Surfers singer Gibby Haynes, RHCP bassist Flea and Johnny Depp on guitar, yes THAT Johnny Depp!

The song itself has some history as it mentions not just Michael Stipe but also River Phoenix who coincidently and unfortunately died in 1993 outside a club Depp owned, while P were playing this song.

[video=youtube;Uofs4JNOvXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uofs4JNOvXk

Guest Hanahbananabob

Brad - Screen I don't really know what to say about this song lol, I mean, it wasn't bad but I wouldn't say I liked it either? :? It's not something I would listen to again though, so I will give it 4/10!

P - Michael Stipe Again, this song was okay, but just not really the kind of stuff I would listen to! I feel bad for giving low scores haha but again 4/10!

Guest Dante Spears

Over The Wall - Thurso: 1/10 - Had a nice melody but I really didn't enjoy that at all. I found the lyrics just bad and the music video just strange and distracting.

Coming Home - Monsters On Movie Posters: 4/10 I appreciate the effort and the music is nice but i can't like hear what they're saying at all and got bored after awhile.

Guest Magic

Brad - Screen - I kind of agree on Hannah on this one. It was inoffensive, and not bad, but didn't really do anything for me. The chorus was alright, probably the best piece of the song, but I think it was his voice that did me in after a while. It was a bit monotonous. I got bored after a while. It picked up towards the end and got a bit more interesting with the guitar. 5/10

P - Michael Stipe - I immediately like the sound of this a bit more, the opening guitar was nice. It has a nice beat, but I can't really understand what the singer is saying. It just sounds like mumbles with the occasional "Michael Stipe" thrown in, so that loses it points for me. Similar to the previous, the guitar near the end gave it a boost. 6/10

Both songs were ok, but not really my kind of thing.

Guest Root

Over The Wall - Thurso

Well I liked the video. That was a fun watch. As for the music, I wasn't that keen. The xylophone seemded really out of place and didn't fit with the rest of the instruments being played at the same time. I didn't like the main vocalists voice, and the other guy's sound was nondescript. It definately kicked into life around 3:25 with the trumpets came in. I really wish they'd done that sooner. It's odd to have the last minute be so bombastic and lively, but the previous 3 and a half be so lifeless. 4/10

Monsters On Movie Posters - Coming Home

Looooooooooooong into. Okay, maybe not that long but it felt like it. But once it got going I liked it. Again though, not crazy about the vocals. But the music was pretty good actually. 6/10

Brad - Screen

Really felt like I should be drinking whiskey and listening to this in a dark room. Great vocals and some ace guitar work. Very good indeed. 8/10

P - Michael Stipe

Anything involving Gibby Haynes is likely to be great. And this is also very good. Nicely quirky, but also quite friendly and approachable. Well, until the third minute anyway. Then the guitars take over and it just becomes awesome. A fine selection! 8/10

Guest Dante Spears

Brad - Screen: Not really my thing but non offensive and okay for what it was. 4/10

P - Michael Stipe: reminds me of the older songs I would listen to as a kid, so I enjoyed it. 6/10

Taylor Swift - Love Story

Nah, just kidding. First is a song I've been obsessed with as of late.

Til' I Hear you Sing - Ramin Karimloo

[video=youtube_share;XegytVAM5WU]

The second is a song that's been stuck in my head ever since I had to watch Spike Lee's Bamboozled for a film class.

Misrepresented People - Stevie Wonder

[video=youtube_share;aAthMi5Kz5g]

Magic

Thurso – Over the Fall

I like this. I thinks it has a lot to do with currently being sat in the blazing sun in the garden though. I can’t imagine I’d have responded to this so well on a normal grey day…if that makes any sense? Like, it’s a good just sit in your garden on a summer’s day and chill out song. Reminds me a bit of Sufjan Stevens at the end with the trumpets and such. The video also gets this song an extra point for being quite cool, so a healthy 8/10 for this. You can thank the sunshine! :P

Coming Home – Monsters on Movie Posters

This also benefits from being a soundtrack to glorious sunshine. It’s a bit lengthy, but I stuck with it. I dunno about this, it’s pleasant enough, and it reminds me of bands like Interpol & Arcade Fire, just not quite to my liking. Inoffensive enough stuff, but not really my bag. A standard 4/10

Shaun

Screen – Brad

As the wise Mr. Horse once said “No Sir, I don’t like it”. This song just kinda dragged for me, sorry. It seemed kinda depressing, almost so much as to harsh my sunny day buzz. There’s not a lot else I can say really, just not my thing. I’ll give it 3/10 as anything less than that would deem it unlistenable, and at least I made it to the end of the song.

Michael Stipe – P

I’m sorry to rip on both choices Shaun, but I’m really not feeling this. I dunno, I got bored listening to the song and just kinda sat watching the youtube timer count down towards the end. I can’t even think of much to say about it, it just kinda washed over me like a wave of nothing? Meh. 3/10

Dante

Nope. I don’t like this either. I mean, I like Glee as much as the next guy, but this is too much! :P Seriously though, I don’t really do opera or dramatic stuff. And that guy’s voice is kind of annoying. Another 3/10

Misrepresented People – Stevie Wonder

Yay! Stevie Wonder does black history! :tban It’s not as good as old school Stevie, but then next to nothing is so that’s a moot point. The accompanying slide show is spectacular though. :lol A decently acceptable 6/10

Guest Magic

Woo, someone likes one of my choices! :lol And well jealous of your day Chris, I wish I had a garden.

Ok:

Til' I Hear you Sing - Ramin Karimloo - I don't mind this kind of thing at all. I wouldn't listen to it regularly, but on an isolated occasion like this I can appreciate it. I like it when it really kicks in and he gets louder. The music in the background is good, and the vocals too. I like it for what it was, but wouldn't consistently have it in a playlist. 7/10

Misrepresented People - Stevie Wonder - I'm not crazy about Stevie. The singing is good, but the music in the background isn't really my thing. It's a bit, I dunno how to describe it, cheesey or something. The more it goes on, the more I find it it annoying. The lyrics don't do anything for me, so 3/10

Mooky

Brad - Screen

I love me some Stone Gossard. Great heartfelt vocals and lyrics. Reminded me a bit of Andrew Wood. I love the tempo and the guitar work is immense of course. I'm in the exact right mood for this song. 8/10

P - Michael Stipe

What a depressing song due to it's history. I can dig the line-up though. What a bunch of great dudes. That said, this isn't something I would listen to regularly. I love the lyrics though. 6/10

Dante

It should come as no surprise that I honestly can't stand this stuff. It's not offensive or anything like that. It's just really REALLY not my style. I couldn't even finish it. 1/10

Misrepresented People - Stevie Wonder

Man, I love Stevie Wonder. This song is great, but it's not something I would listen to a lot. Nice little history lesson though. 6/10

My turn:

First up is a new favorite. Have some Italian tech death.

FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE - The Violation

[video=youtube;xjKyzwqIT7s]

Now for some lovely sludge featuring the amazing Laura Pleasants.

http://i.imgur.com/yFzmm.jpg

Kylesa - Hollow Severer

[video=youtube;VGFru8yyYIw]

Guest Hanahbananabob

Til' I Hear you Sing - Ramin Karimloo Well, I never listen to music like this at all, all I could think of when listening to this was the runners up from Britains Got Talent :P the guy has a good voice and everything and it wasn't a bad song, but just wasn't something I would want to listen to again! So I will give it 4/10.

Misrepresented People - Stevie Wonder I actually think this is the first Stevie Wonder song I've ever heard lol! Again, not something I would want to listen to again, but like the first song it wasn't awful, so 4/10!

FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE - The Violation Well, what to say about this! Sounds like the kind of stuff my fiance listens to!! It was fine until the vocals started, seriously the instrumental bit was fine, but it just sounded really bad once the vocals started and I just wanted to turn it off, sorry! 3/10.

Kylesa - Hollow Severer Well this one was better, again a bit too shouty for me, i prefer less heavy rock, but still I listened to the whole thing and it wasn't bad! 5/10

Ramin Karimloo - Til' I Hear you Sing

I kinda off dig musicals since watching Sweeney Todd in London a few weeks ago but this isn't something I'd listen too. Might have been better in a musical atmosphere but not here.

3/10

Stevie Wonder - Misrepresented People

I love me some Stevie Wonder but the background music wasn't anything for me, but the lyrics or history lesson was quite a fun listen.

5/10

FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE - The Violation

Sorry Elderly Maxx Behind the Counter in a Small Town, not my kind of stuff but the orchestral bits were OK.

4/10

Kylesa - Hollow Severer

I liked this one a bit better, like some bits and pieces of Sludge every now and then. This is so get in the car, drive high speed and giving no f**ks at all music. Like it, not sure if I'll listen to it again but I like it.

7/10

Maxxy

The Violation - Fleshgod Apocalypse

Yeah, this was alright. Not usually the stuff I'd go out of my way to listen to, and this kind of stuff really starts to grate on me when it's played all night in some of the pubs and clubs I hang out in. On it's own in small doses this is perfectly fine though. Quite like the classical stuff going on in the background, I'll drop this a solid 6/10

Hollow Severer - Kylesa

Now THIS is my kind of thing :lol Seriously, this rocks pretty hard. I'm definitely gonna have to go look some of this up. Love me some sludgey stoner rock-esque stuff, and this had me appreciatively nodding my head all the way through. Gotta love the groove running through this. Most definitely a 10/10 for this one Maxxwell. :D

Okay, let's get some videos up in here!

Firstly, all the way from 1971 this is the only single released by Comus. It's a bit weird on first listen (but bear with it, it's worth the perserverance :D), but once you get past the weird noises and settle into it I think this song is excellent in every way. Ladies and gents, "Diana" by Comus:

[video=youtube;brVK7Os-wa4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brVK7Os-wa4

I've really struggled to think of something to follow that up, so fudge it, I've just looked at what the most played song is in my iTunes over the last 8 years. The answer surprised and delighted me in equal measure. I mean I love this song, but I had no idea it was my most played song of all time. So coming to you with over 350 plays in the last 8 years, this is "The Shame" by The Blood Brothers:

[video=youtube;PlOzO_XyFL0]

Edited by dsrchris