Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE RAW Discussion Thread - January 7, 2013 from Tampa, FL (#1024)

TPIB

Guest The Beltster
Well, obviously you are gonna say that considering you don't like Punk. But if you look past that, you'll see someone who verbally abused one of the greatest talkers in WWE history. Easily.
Don't be so wet! I don't like John Cena and I said over and over again when they were feuding leading into their match last year that Cena verbally hammered the Rock literally every single week. It has nothing to do with my personal dislike of Punk's abilities/talents, I simply didn't think he did anything this week vs the Rock which came even close to "verbally whipping the Rocks ass" so please, try again.

Punk didn't abuse anything apart from my ears with his boring, drab, monotone voice. He sounds like nothing more than a whiney little pr*ck.

And I'm not really sure what all this backlash on the Rock's promo involving him using piss taking jokes is all about, that's all the Rock's promos have ever been, he's made a very successful career on that so questioning whether his comedic style of promo is going to make money, sell tickets or whatever else is quite retarded. He's one of the biggest drawing, most successful wrestlers EVER!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Canned Heat
Don't be so wet! I don't like John Cena and I said over and over again when they were feuding leading into their match last year that Cena verbally hammered the Rock literally every single week. It has nothing to do with my personal dislike of Punk's abilities/talents, I simply didn't think he did anything this week vs the Rock which came even close to "verbally whipping the Rocks ass" so please, try again.

Punk didn't abuse anything apart from my ears with his boring, drab, monotone voice. He sounds like nothing more than a whiney little pr*ck.

And I'm not really sure what all this backlash on the Rock's promo involving him using piss taking jokes is all about, that's all the Rock's promos have ever been, he's made a very successful career on that so questioning whether his comedic style of promo is going to make money, sell tickets or whatever else is quite retarded. He's one of the biggest drawing, most successful wrestlers EVER!

For one, you don't have to learn me on The Rock's promo styles. I know them. Can he be funny? Yes. Is he stil funny? No. Which is why he needs to ditch the schtick. The thing is Beltser, this shouldn't even be up for debate. Cena should have never been whipping Rock's ass on the mic, either. Rock is too good for that. Even back when he was actually funny, his promos were always best whenever he would become serious.

And obviously, I know Punk isn't in Rock's league. But last night? Punk schooled Rock. And even if you don't feel that way, again, there shouldn't be someone who doesn't even really like Punk all that much (like myself) saying the Rock was beaten.

We can disagree on this one, but if I'm being honest, I thought this was such a whooping, that there wouldn't even be debate. So it's kind of cool that there is at least 1 person on earth that thinks the Rock won.

Edited by Canned Heat

Guest The Beltster
For one, you don't have to learn me on The Rock's promo styles. I know them. Can he be funny? Yes. Is he stil funny? No. Which is why he needs to ditch the schtick. The thing is Beltser, this shouldn't even be up for debate. Cena should have never been whipping Rock's ass on the mic, either. Rock is too good for that. Even back when he was actually funny, his promos were always best whenever he would become serious.
Apparently I do need to learn you on them, because you just questioned whether one of the biggest draws ever has a promo style that can draw money. That makes you look like a fool.

Why shouldn't Cena have been cutting better promos than him? Cena is a great promo when he has something to say that he either legit believes in or isn't scripted for him by the dumb asses in the back.

Look, you can say the Rock's promos were always best when he became serious and that's your right to believe that, but the fact remains the vast majority of the Rocks promos were always based around him being an arrogant piss taker, which is what he did last night and to be honest, I don't think he was any worse last night than he was in 2003, 2001 or 1999.

And obviously, I know Punk isn't in Rock's league. But last night? Punk schooled Rock. And even if you don't feel that way, again, there shouldn't be someone who doesn't even really like Punk all that much (like myself) saying the Rock was beaten.
Schooled him how? Explain to me how you came to that conclusion, because I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying I don't agree with your opinion and I don't see this schooling. The Rock came out, did his usual deal, Punk moaning and whined, which is his usual deal, and then it was over. Nobody schooled anybody, it was all very run of the mill from where I was sitting...you are making out that Punk cut some fabulous, memorable amazing promo on the Rock. I must have missed it...

We can disagree on this one, but if I'm being honest, I thought this was such a whooping, that there wouldn't even be debate. So it's kind of cool that there is at least 1 person on earth that thinks the Rock won.
Ah, so everybody who watched it on the planet agree's with you, is that what you're saying? :lol

Guest StefanC

I don't like the rock, I don't like dwayne johnson.

I don't like guys who have to come back, knowing that they will have their match at the royal rumble, probably loose, stick some money in their pockets and leave again.

I don't like those kinds of people. Sure I was excited when he came back the first time, I was in awe when he was introduced as the host of that years wrestlemania.

But what got me was that he said he was back and he was never leaving.

What did he do after wrestlemania? He left.

I saw dwayne johnson in amsterdam some time ago, all fake smiles and waving, but keeping his distance. Walking from his car to the front door and not caring about his fans.

Dwayne johnson is a big phony, I hope he leaves after the royal rumble and N-E-V-E-R comes back. Ever.

I watched raw tonight, I love to see guys like CM Punk wrestle, he is absolutely one of the best in that ring.

I hope that he will go on to wrestlemania and win, and still the wwe champion.

I don't usually rant about anybody in WWE, but that's just it. For me the rock is not in the WWE anymore.

He's just some actor who sometimes comes to the WWE to do some smack talking, wrestle for a bit, and leaves with a big paycheck and a McMahon handshake.

I just don't like him. Maybe that's a better way of putting it. Perhaps. But for some reason every time I see him, when it's in a movie or on WWE tv, this is not the rock that once was. This is not the great one. This is the lame one.

Guest Jayfunk
to be fair the rock did work his ass off in WWE did everything he could and moved on, personally he is doing WWE more of a favour than they are him. the rock is fine by me

Guest The Beltster
I haven't seen the segment but is Rock suffering at all from losing his mate who did all the promo writing for him?
No, he isn't. He is no better or no worse than usual.

I thought Punk > Rock last night. But I'm biased and the sheen of having Rock back is gone. I kinda wish they left the memories alone. And if Belty found Punk whiny, I believe Punk did his job. He's not supposed to be rebel heel, he's supposed to be the whiny bastard that Belty sees him as.

Guest Jierda
After watching it I think I have to agree with Belty theres no way Punk schooled Rock, I honestly thought Rock did better but that might be because I'm getting bit sick of Punk.

I honestly didn't care for this show. Like at all. I haven't really been into The Rock hype this time around and was unimpressed with anything he did. I'm over Rocky. Stay, leave, I couldn't care less. Punk was good. Heyman was great. Ryback needs to die in a fire.

Guest Jayfunk

[video=youtube;BPBauLIpsGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPBauLIpsGc

I still get goose bumps when the rocks music hits.

I really enjoyed that segment the end was great, i think punk is the best talker in the WWE for a long time, he just has it, but the rock although not his best here has been the best talker in the WWE/F period

Edited by Jayfunk

The Rock was far better on the mic than he was during the feud with Cena, when he seemed to be struggling a lot at times. Last night, he was fluid and quick, just like he was when he was at his best. The promos against Cena were odd, actually, because I never thought The Rock would struggle so badly. He looked really nervous back then with far too many pauses and doing things like writing on his hand. But yeah, he was back to form last night.

Personally, I'd say Punk won but only because of the content. Both delivered their promos well but for me, lines like "your arms are too short to box with God" and "I'm going to kick your ass" are better than the jokey lines The Rock was coming out with. That's not a criticism on The Rock, just my preference. Both promos were delivered brilliantly.

I really enjoyed the TLC match, by the way. Ryback isn't a bad worker at all and is easily capable of being in very good matches. Rumble win, perhaps?

Guest Fatherof10minis

I thought Punk was better than the Rock but not by much. I am alot more pumped up about this feud than cena/rock because rock/cena turned into a back and forth of basically who had more manhood than the other. Punk has an angle and a purpose for where is he going with this and it will transcend what he does with Rock and he will carry it on. It won't be like cena who simply shakes it off as a bad day at work and moves in a totally different direction. Both gave me goosebumps last night and i am pumped as all hell for their match at royal rumble.

As for Cena/dolph match, Dolph carried it magnificently, but in the end it was just another boring old edition of super cena. Cenas kickouts were horrible Dolph was far superior last night. And what was the point of having them go at it again??? If they are building for Cena to win the Rumble I will be sorely disappointed.

Guest The Beltster

Punk actually sounds like he believes a lot of the nonsense he says is factually correct.

How shameful.

In Bruno's era Punk wouldn't have even had a job, he'd have been too much of a pussy and would have been stretched right out of the business and in Hogan's era he'd be tagging with Jumping Jim Brunzell in opening card tag matches on C shows where he belongs.

This dude is such a nobody.

Edited by The Beltster

Guest The Beltster
I wouldn't class him as the best in the company, but whatever, that's all down to personal taste but yeah I'd agree that this turd being the longest running champion of the last 20 years says a lot about the sorry state of pro wrestling in 2012.

Guest Jayfunk

don't forget its now a decade since WWE has been great, a long lonely decade

of course there was some good moments but the product in general

Imagine if Austin would have come out with Tyson and just told him he didn't have any nuts and that he loves the people. No, Austin came out there and told Tyson he didn't care who he was, it was his ring and he was gonna whoop that a**.

Or imagine if Austin had a singing contest with The Rock just before the blowoff to one of the biggest story lines in wrestling history.

Except, that one did actually happen.

I'm no Punk fan, in the sense that he (and everyone else) thinks of him as a far better wrestler than he really actually is. However, his promo was great. It was. Did it match up to The Rock? Sure. Did it match either mans best work? No. It was simply two guys setting out their stalls and working well against each other within the confines of the story. Punk laid himself out as the anti-hero who doesn't need to care about the fans to get somewhere, and Rock set himself up as a hero who actually likes giving the fans what they want, no matter how puerile or childish. No one schooled anyone, both pushed their characters to perfectly match the other's expectations and yet contrasting each other well, and it made me want to see the match. No more, no less.

Edited by DraVen