Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Piledrivers & Other Banned Moves **split from Raw thread**

Dead Crow

Someone is in big trouble over that Piledriver spot. Meltzer saying that Vince blew his gasket when it happened, and Cena won't get punished for sh*t. Quite possibly, neither will Punk. So I'm looking at whoever the road agent was.

Shame, as it was a shocking moment in a great match, but rules be rules.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ciaran The King
NOTHING is better that MitB 2011! :lol

Nothing?

And also what is bad about two seasoned perfomers using a piledriver?

Nothing?

Cena's neck injury. The fact that even two seasoned performers could easily f*ck it up. (See Austin/Chono and ironically, Hart/Austin. Same botched piledriver. Karma exists.) and the fact that aside from Undertaker's Tombstone, all other piledriver variations are banned. For a while the Shooting Star Press was banned too. F*cking Kidman.

Different kind of piledriver. Way more risk with the reverse driver then the standard. Don't get me wrong, it's still risky, just not as much as some other variations.

Yeah, that's true, but still there's still the stigma that it could still go wrong very easily.

Nothing?

NO-THING.

Seriously, favourite PPV (and PPV match) in easily the last...wow, probably 20 something years for me.

It's just on the no-no list. Which I imagine they were more than aware of heading into the match. Truth be told my heart was in my mouth a little. We all know how sloppy the Punker can get from time to time...

Guest John Hancock

It's also the move that broke Steve Austin's neck. I think Chyna got super badly injured with one as well. They're banned over other moves because, whilst, if you mess up another move, you might hurt yourself, if you mess up a piledriver, there's a legitimately good chance you'll be paralysed or die. It's the same reason they banned the Shooting Star Press for a while, because that's another move where, if you mess it up, you break your neck. One of the general post-Benoit rules has been a real crackdown on moves that can easily cause serious neck damage.

It's not big deal from the WWE, they've pretty much always been illegal in lucha-libre as far as I know, and it was (and possibly still is) illegal in Memphis. I think the WWE's rule is that you have to be super strong to do it, because then you can hold the guy properly, which is why The Undertaker gets away with it, but Punk, as a guy with a serious reputation for not being particularly strong and f*cking up moves as it is, really shouldn't be trying it.

Guest Ciaran The King
Although I agree with the points made by everyone about the dangers of certain moves but if done correctly then everyone should be okay

Guest John Hancock

And what if they don't do it correctly? That's like legalising driving at 100mph because, if you do it correctly, you won't hit anyone.

A piledriver is a really easy move to mess up and if you mess it up even slightly, it's incredibly dangerous. The WWE enforces a very sensible policy where only trusted guys like the Undertaker get permission to do it on a case by case basis, in the same way that Evan Bourne got permission to do the Shooting Star Press because he proved he could do it safely. It's not worth the risk of having sloppy guys like Punk, without permission (if that story's true), using moves with a track record for causing life-threatening injuries when it adds nothing to the match other than easy shock value.

WWE went hard on any move with a real danger of screwing someone's head or neck. The piledriver was the main move but I'm positive that there were others as well (the Brainbuster, I think, was one). I admire them taking a safety-first stance in light of injuries that have occurred, but Punk did a decent job of the move to be honest and it did actually add to the match. My only critique is that it was ultimately a nothing move. In 2013 WWE, a piledriver could be a storyline in waiting - a move ala the Orton punt which people are preconditioned to accept as an injury set up. Used correctly in angles, the piledriver could be huge again.