Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Piledrivers & Other Banned Moves **split from Raw thread**

Dead Crow

Everyone's so worried about getting hurt in a profession where you pretend to hurt each other. What kind of sissy bullshit is that? "You stiffed me!" Sounds like something a schoolyard crybaby would say when his buddy punched him in the arm.

I know I know no need to counter, I understand the reasons. I just felt it needed to be said.

Give them health care and retirement and let them clobber the hell out of each other a little harder. Get color when it calls for it. Give us something a little bit more dangerous looking than the Rough Ryder.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Will O the Wisp
We still have suicide dives through/over the ropes. Those seem like they would be just as dangerous and prone to head and neck injury when botched. Not to mention some experienced wrestlers have been on the short end of the stick when things go wrong. (Taker, Bryan, Lita, Benoit)

Guest Ciaran The King
I watched the match, and it was a good match, and it didnt even dawn on me that there was a piledriver ban. I had forgotten all about it, being that its such a f*cking retarded rule/ban. I cant believe there's such a big fuss over it. Oh no, a wrestling move used in a wrestling match between two seasons pro's!

Big deal.

Agreed

Guest Canned Heat

My only problem with the Pile Driver is the fact that it is the most dangerous mainstream move. Being that if a 10 year old had to name off a bunch of wrestling moves that he knew, Pile Driver would probably be one of them. And 10 year old kids like to wrestle on a trampoline. And a pile driver is one of if not the only wrestling move that could go just as bad on a trampoline as it does in the ring. And that is a scary thought.

And speaking of getting stiffed, one of my favorite parts about shoot interviews is when they tell the stories of them getting a potato and giving one right back. And the whole match just essentially becomes a bunch of shoot punches because they try to keep getting back at one another.

My only problem with the Pile Driver is the fact that it is the most dangerous mainstream move. Being that if a 10 year old had to name off a bunch of wrestling moves that he knew, Pile Driver would probably be one of them. And 10 year old kids like to wrestle on a trampoline. And a pile driver is one of if not the only wrestling move that could go just as bad on a trampoline as it does in the ring. And that is a scary thought.

100% this.

Apart from the obvious risks to the head and neck, the pile driver is a very simple, easily copied move. Even if they trust some of their performers to deliver the move safely, they owe it to the children not to encourage them to try it.

Cheers!

Guest The Beltster

Bollocks! They were using pile drivers on tv when I was a kid and me and all my mates would do that shit on each other when we were 8-9 years old, there's no more risk of getting hurt doing that than there is climbing up and falling out of a tree, or letting kids ride a bike down a hill or ride a horse.

People are such pussies these days, it's a joke.

Piledrivers & Other Banned Moves **split from Raw thread**

There's a big difference between falling off your bike and spiking someone on their head :lol.

Cheers!

Guest Canned Heat
Bollocks! They were using pile drivers on tv when I was a kid and me and all my mates would do that shit on each other when we were 8-9 years old, there's no more risk of getting hurt doing that than there is climbing up and falling out of a tree, or letting kids ride a bike down a hill or ride a horse.

People are such pussies these days, it's a joke.

I don't think the move should be illegal. Especially because of that. But, that IS something to think about. It takes ONE kid to break his neck doing a Pile Driver to start a sh*t storm. Times are changing, kids at younger ages are realizing that the head isn't really getting spiked to the floor. But most kids don't.

Also, I love that you assume that kids are still going outside and climbing trees and riding horses. I'm not even saying that as like "You know kids these days just play video games." I'm saying it as most kids don't climb trees and ride horses anymore.

Edit: And you're right. People are pussies nowadays. But that can't be changed. It is what it is.

Edited by Canned Heat

Guest The Beltster
There's a big difference between falling off your bike and spiking someone on their head :lol.

Cheers!

is there? So you can't fall off your bike flying fast down a hill and land on your head? You can't fall off and break your neck? You can't swerve into the road and get hit by a car? My mate Steve plowed into a wall on his bike when we were kids and he's a vegetable. Don't be so naive.

On the other hand, we all used wrestling moves on each other as kids, including the pile driver, none of us were ever hurt. First off, kids don't "spike" each other, kids play wrestle, nobody is actively trying to hurt each other. Secondly, accidents can happen with anything, so thinking kids copying a pile driver is a big deal in the grand scheme of things is exceptionally stupid.

Edited by The Beltster

Guest The Beltster
I don't think the move should be illegal. Especially because of that. But, that IS something to think about. It takes ONE kid to break his neck doing a Pile Driver to start a sh*t storm. Times are changing, kids at younger ages are realizing that the head isn't really getting spiked to the floor. But most kids don't.

Also, I love that you assume that kids are still going outside and climbing trees and riding horses. I'm not even saying that as like "You know kids these days just play video games." I'm saying it as most kids don't climb trees and ride horses anymore.

Edit: And you're right. People are pussies nowadays. But that can't be changed. It is what it is.

Kids still love going out, going to parks, jumping, running and acting crazy. I've got two, I witness it every day. The only kids who play video games every day are kids who have shit parents who allow it. And kids play wrestling doing pile drivers are in no more danger of hurting each other than kids play wrestling doing the pedigree, DDT, RKO, F5, attitude adjustment or anything else and none of those moves are banned.

Give me a break.

is there? So you can't fall off your bike flying fast down a hill and land on your head? You can't fall off and break your neck? You can't swerve into the road and get hit by a car? My mate Steve plowed into a wall on his bike when we were kids and he's a vegetable. Don't be so naive.

On the other hand, we all used wrestling moves on each other as kids, including the pile driver, none of us were ever hurt. First off, kids don't "spike" each other, kids play wrestle, nobody is actively trying to hurt each other. Secondly, accidents can happen with anything, so thinking kids copying a pile driver is a big deal in the grand scheme of things is exceptionally stupid.

I agree, accidents definitely do happen when kids play wrestle. I almost had my nose broken when a dude picked me up, stumbled and dropped me nose first into a beam of wood. Then there's a time where I "took" a Last Ride powerbomb and wasn't even hurt. But then there's idiots like that one teenage douchebag who killed a little girl he was looking after with... A piledriver.

Not one person can say "WWE don't do enough to stop kids from play wrestling", short of being present at every point where kids play-wrestle. There's been about a gajillion "Don't Try This At Home" videos from as far back as I can remember.

Man, I used to love me some bouncy castle wrestling as a kid. Funnily enough kids probably do a better job of some moves. I've seen a 7 year old apply a better figure four than The Miz has ever managed.

They can play all the don't try this at home ads they want, kids are still gonna do it anyways. But then you can't blame WWE for wanting to cover their a*ses since they're pretty much directly marketed at kids these days.

They can play all the don't try this at home ads they want, kids are still gonna do it anyways. But then you can't blame WWE for wanting to cover their a*ses since they're pretty much directly marketed at kids these days.

Exactly. Just a pro-tip for any play wrestlers out there, don't ever accept being put in the Walls of Jericho. I learned that lesson the hard way. :(

Guest The Beltster

The thing is, WWE can cover their asses by putting up the 'Dont try this at home' stuff, they dont have to ban moves because there are plenty of moves just as dangerous, or more dangerous, than the ones they have banned.

I dont think protecting kids had anything to do with the bans, its probably all the neck injuries to their performers that happened over that span of a few years a while back that did it. I just think its dumb, the pile driver was as much a part of wrestling as a lock up for many years and nobody was getting hurt or neck problems. Its the overall style of wrestling with the high risk crap to blame.

Cheers!

Not everyone gets 'spiked.' Yeah there's incidents where accidents happen, but you're talking a few out of how many thousands of piledrivers that have been thrown? Unless you're an asshole and want to hurt the guy or an accident happens, you're still taking care of him and doing your best to make sure he doesn't get hurt.

TRAINED PROFESSIONALS. No reason they can't land on their head once and awhile if all parties are trustworthy and willing.

Kids are gonna do what they want and there are always going to be dumbasses that ruin it for everyone.

Edited by Maxximus

Guest Jimmy Redman
When was the last Piledriver in the WWE? Other than the Tombstone Piledrivers? I'm struggling to remember.

Shawn piledrove Cena on the stairs at WM23.