Martial Arts

What "FANBOYS" annoy you the most?

King

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
This absolutely isn't directed at anyone specifically, even though it'll blatantly look like it is, but CM Punk fanboys are the absolute worst. The pedestal they put him on his so ridiculous. Yes, he's very good, and, yes, I'm a Punk fan myself, but there's a limit to my fandom, where it doesn't go into bare faced hypocrisy. There's a whole list of things that everyone hates, but, when Punk does them the next week, will be defended as industry redefining greatness.

Yeah this is not a trolling thread to the members on here who are fanboys of certain wrestlers or whatever but just a general question.

It can be about sport aswell like UTD/Pool/City fans etc....

Go wild!!

Guest Canned Heat
Punk Fans and Rock Fans. Don't have to explain about Punk fans, but there are a group of Rock fans on the IWC that will go to any video on YouTube or threads about Austin.. And just trash it.

Liverpool fans.

And wrestling fans who write this:

I’d like to think I’m not the embodiment or manifestation of a typical Internet wrestling fan. The types of fans that feel they’re completely ignored by World Wrestling Entertainment, the types of fans that pack most of the Wrestlemania and other major pay-per-view crowds. You know: the types of fans that wonder why Antonio Cesaro & Daniel Bryan aren’t pushed. I honestly didn’t really know much about those guys as, over the year, it’s been consistently more difficult for me to follow the independent scene.

I’m a 35 year old married male with a child on the way who owns a small home in suburbia, Anytown USA. I’m a regional account manager for a publishing firm. I like to woodwork, I play fantasy football and I have a German shepherd. I lead a pretty simple, average American life. I’ve also been a lifelong WWE fan. Not just one who watches on TV and doesn’t contribute financially to the company, either. My father was a traveling sportswear salesman in the 70’s and 80’s and I was fortunate and blessed enough to attend Wrestlemania IV, V, VII, X, XII and XV with my siblings.

I also grew up going to NWA shows and followed ECW on television through my teens, even attending their penultimate pay per view. Into my early adulthood, I paid my own way to attend Wrestlemania X-Seven, XX, XXI, XXII, XXIII, XXIV and, most recently, XXVII. Not to mention the countless Armageddon, Money in the Bank, Hell in a Cell, Summerslam, Royal Rumble, RAW, Smackdown, ECW and NXT events I’ve attended. Needless to say, my favorite form of sports and entertainment is professional wrestling.

An avid MLB and NFL fan to boot, I don’t spend nearly as much time and money on those forms of entertainment as I do with wrestling. Over the past 5 or 6 years, life has brought on all sorts of more responsibilities keeping me from exploring the other non-televised realm of pro-wrestling in America yet I still remain a loyal fan of WWE. I spend thousands of dollars a year on PPVs, live events and merchandise.

Although I’d like to think I’m not the embodiment or manifestation of a typical Internet wrestling fan, I share in the absolute dismay and heavy criticism about last night’s pay-per-view offering from WWE, Wrestlemania 29. I should digress here and say I enjoyed the show and had a small gathering at my home. However, the ending of the show left me wondering – for the first time – if I should even continue supporting WWE’s current stale, product and either explore other forms of pro-wrestling entertainment (there’s only one other that’s broadcast nationally) or find another program or form of entertainment to invest in mentally and financially.

Over the years, I’ve read countless stories about the absolute refusal of WWE’s creative brain trust to augment or change the character of John Cena. I’ve read claims that the company is so overprotective of a character directed at a demographic 20 years my junior that they’ve refunded customers whose children were upset at a loss or have gone out of their way to financially reimburse parental units of children who don’t understand the product is scripted.

I cannot understand how WWE officials and announcers claim Cena receives a “mixed reaction” yet was jeered by 90% of MetLife stadium yesterday evening. I do not know why WWE wastes its time on the temporary cash cow of people they aren’t even sure will be wrestling/sports entertainment fans 5 or 10 years from now. You’re reading a letter from a male in his mid 30’s, there’s little chance that I just “started watching” the product.

Yet WWE’s continued ignorance toward a much more loyal demographic leads me to believe you don’t want me watching your product. I’m not clamoring from a mountain top to turn Cena heel but I’m wondering if you, at all, listen to your core audience. Change him up a little, make him a little more than one-dimensional, add something new to him, hell change his theme music. I’m so sick of the character that if you turned him heel, I’d buy front row tickets to your next 5 Wrestlemania offerings. Your core audience aren’t the parents of children who buy so much Cena merchandise that they can’t afford to attend or even watch a PPV, your core audience are those of us who have stuck with the product no matter what.

I've stuck with you through the post-Attitude Era downturn, through the Chris Benoit tragedy, through the mainstream onset of MMA. I feel a kinship and a brotherhood with every one over the age of 18 who is upset and sick of your product. I find myself not wanting to spend another dime on anything WWE-related until things change. This includes elevating stars to the same level as Cena, rethinking your business strategy about where “PG era” has taken you or changing Cena’s character into a more realistic human being and not a Superman who somehow ignores the jeers and cat calls of WWE’s devotees at their biggest event of the year.

Your website claims you don’t take suggestions for storylines yet I’ve seen the comments on your website and the actions of fans at your shows: you bend over backwards when your 8-14 year old demographic is upset yet completely ignore your older, more devoted demographic because you simply think we’ll “keep watching and complaining.” With a child on the way, I’m not so sure I’d expose him or her to John Cena as he is not a realistic role model at all.

In fact, I’d do my best to sit them down at the proper age and explain the ins and outs of pro-wrestling and how John Cena has become an irritating, unrealistic, unflappable parody of what professional wrestling should not represent. Hulk Hogan’s character didn’t even this stale this long.

Obviously your company has chosen to cast me off as another “Internet darling” who “won’t be satisfied until Daniel Bryan is pushed as far as John Cena” but this notion, perpetrated by many Cena supports on the Internet, is completely false. I’m someone who was even a former stockholder in your company until I could plainly see that you no longer listen to anyone old enough to purchase alcohol, carry a driver’s license or vote in a U.S. election. I’m not even asking for a $70 refund, I’m simply asking you and your creative team to stop and listen to the fans. You can get an 8 year old kid to cheer for Damien Sandow if you tried hard enough, don’t worry about “losing merchandise money.” Worry about those you are completely turning off from your product.

Until this letter is addressed by an official from WWE, I absolutely refuse to purchase any further PPVs, live event tickets, merchandise, DVDs or anything else the WWE is selling. I know that a thousand dollars or so is a drop in the bucket to a multi-billion dollar company, but maybe others should follow suit. Maybe if things don’t change with your writing and creative team and development of characters, the next step is a boycott. I don’t know.

All I know is that I’m frustrated, annoyed and completely turned off from continuing my 30+ years as a devoted, loyal-no-matter-what WWE fan.

Internet darling Fanboys if that makes sense, people that like wrestlers simply because they're popular on the internet, even though in reality they're sh*t. TNA fanboys do my head in but these days i just ignore them. On the other side of the coin i cannot stand people who constantly rag on WWE for everything they do yet they watch it religiously, and they seem to think the WWE have never done anything right, coming out with lines like, for example "It would make sense if CM Punk won the match, but this is the WWE LOLOLOLOL". Just P*ss off.

Guest Fatherof10minis
Hands down worst group of Fans, Justin Beiber fans, they should all be thrown in a pit and forced to listen to 24 hours of pantera till their tiny little brains melt.

Any and all fanboys except for fans of a real sports teams because at least that make sense.

A fanboy to me is someone who'll either defend the indefensible or is just a total mark for one wrestler and cannot help but compare every single situation to something that wrestler has done. Punk fanboys, Cena Fanboys, Austin fanboys, TNA fanboys all of 'em suck.

Any and all fanboys except for fans of a real sports teams because at least that make sense.

A fanboy to me is someone who'll either defend the indefensible or is just a total mark for one wrestler and cannot help but compare every single situation to something that wrestler has done. Punk fanboys, Cena Fanboys, Austin fanboys, TNA fanboys all of 'em suck.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's like that time CM Punk told the smart marks to f*ck off.

:P

Guest Magic
Not so much these days, but 2008 Lewis Hamilton fanboys made me seriously contemplate my love for Formula 1 for a while. The ITV production staff were some of the biggest.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I'm not sure that this comes under fanboys per se, although they can be, but what I hate out of fandom more than anything is just overt negativity. It can feel good to rip into things, and some things certainly deserve it, but for me personally, I dont have any interest in it. I would much rather spend my time and effort talking about why something is good, rather than why something is bad.

So yeah, the "well of course this sucked" kind of people just irritate me.

Guest The Beltster
I'm not sure that this comes under fanboys per se, although they can be, but what I hate out of fandom more than anything is just overt negativity. It can feel good to rip into things, and some things certainly deserve it, but for me personally, I dont have any interest in it. I would much rather spend my time and effort talking about why something is good, rather than why something is bad.

So yeah, the "well of course this sucked" kind of people just irritate me.

On the other hand, its annoying when people praise anything and everything even if it was obviously shit. And over praise is annoying. If something is funny its "Thats was the funniest thing I've EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!" Uhhh, yeah whatever. Or if something is even slightly above average, it was the best thing that ever happened, until next week. Bollocks to that! I dont care for the general atitude of its ok to say something is great, but if you say something is shit then you shouldnt be allowed an opinion.

Luckily for me, I've never much given a shit what people think, so if I find something to be crap, I'll say it. People shouldnt be expected to accept what they consider to be below average stuff. I know WWE and TNA are capable of putting out better stuff, and until they do (which feels like never), then they will get negative comments from me in the same way as I lavished positive comments on them for years.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Fair enough, and I'm not saying anything in the vicinity of you're not allowed to have your opinions or whatever. Complain away. I'm just saying, its not for me. I like seeing the good in stuff. I like dwelling on the positive instead of negative. This is all making me sound like a hippy, but all I really mean is that I prefer to enjoy myself and have fun than not. And that doesnt mean I'm settling for anything, or pretending or forcing myself to like things more than I should, or anything like that. I just like talking about what is great. That is what interests me.

Also, exaggerating is fun. If it makes people not take me seriously then I can live with that because hey, I'm enjoying myself.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest Ciaran The King
The ITV production staff were some of the biggest.

I hate formula 1 commentary full stop

Guest Magic
Martin Brundle and David Croft have got it nailed in recent years in my opinion. It's a shame it took people years to realise Crofty was the man for the job.

Guest The Beltster
I like seeing the good in stuff. I like dwelling on the positive instead of negative.
Serious question: what if you couldnt find any positive? Straight up, then what?

This is all making me sound like a hippy, but all I really mean is that I prefer to enjoy myself and have fun than not.
I think that goes without saying and applies to everybody. I think people are under the impression that I enjoy not liking wrestling instead of actually understanding that the reason I'm so down on it is because it kills me not to be able to love it. I mean, I was a super ultra WWF fanboy mark before alot of people here were even friggin born! Nobody wants to love wrestling as much as I do.

And that doesnt mean I'm settling for anything, or pretending or forcing myself to like things more than I should, or anything like that. I just like talking about what is great. That is what interests me.

Also, exaggerating is fun. If it makes people not take me seriously then I can live with that because hey, I'm enjoying myself.

Just to make it clear, my comments about settling werent directed at you, nor were my exaggeration comments. You do it, but alot of people do. At times it becomes annoying when its generally lumped on something that was blatantly shit, but its not a personal knock.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Serious question: what if you couldnt find any positive? Straight up, then what?

Then I say so? If I'm mad about something or think its sh*t I'll say so. Its not like I consciously dont.

But its more like, if I watch Raw, say, and see a segment I like, and a segment I dislike, I am more likely to come here and talk about the one I liked, or at least talk about it more. If I have one thing to say about a show, it is more likely to be the one thing I really liked above all. That is just what I like to talk about. I can see a great match and write paragraph after paragraph on it almost effortlessly, whereas now I only rarely get fed up and write a novel about why everything sucks. I cant be bothered spending energy on something like that.