Godzilla (Monsterverse)

Godzilla (2014)

King

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
I'm down. I like the respectful touches to the original, like the Japanese painted writing, the nuclear bomb references and giving him a really good noise. This is the sort of remake or reboot I can get on board with.

Guest John Hancock
Guillermo del Toro has already put his hat into the ring for Godzilla vs. Pacific Rim as the sequel. I approve, the world's ready for big budget monster movies again.

Guest John Hancock
Are you talking about the 1998 American version? If so, that's not the original, the original Godzilla was made in Japan in the mid-50s (1954 I think?). I think we can safely say that 1998 version is about as dead and buried as Batman Forever in terms of it getting a sequel.

That roar gave me a boner. My brother is a huge Godzilla fan and when I showed him this he lost his shit. I've been keeping it from him that they're doing another one. He hated the last one with a passion. I can quote him directly as saying, "That bullshit is NOT Godzilla!"

Guest John Hancock
Seriously though, that bullshit was NOT Godzilla. Godzilla has to have his weird little electro-gurilla-whale noise.

Guillermo del Toro has already put his hat into the ring for Godzilla vs. Pacific Rim as the sequel. I approve, the world's ready for big budget monster movies again.
GdT wanted Godzilla to be the last Kaiju to emerge in Pacific Rim.

That roar gave me a boner. My brother is a huge Godzilla fan and when I showed him this he lost his shit. I've been keeping it from him that they're doing another one. He hated the last one with a passion. I can quote him directly as saying, "That bullshit is NOT Godzilla!"

That Godzilla film was more Jurassic Park than Godzilla.

The hugeness of this Godzilla genuinely excites me. He looks mahoosive!!

• 2 months later...
Guest John Hancock

That reveal, out of the dust and smoke, is so f*cking cool. You just see a spiky back, and you know exactly what's going on. I love when movies do stuff like that, it makes you remember just how iconic Godzilla is, you don't need to see full concept drawings, you see a spiky back and you just instantly know, because he's so awesome that it's just there, in all of our brains.

I marked out for the roar... again. It's so perfect, a little update to keep things up to date, but nothing revolutionary. It keeps the weirdness of the original, it's not a roar or a cliched monster noise, it's so unique. The little Japanese sound at the end was really cool too.