Godzilla (Monsterverse)

Godzilla (2014)

King

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fatherof10minis

This takes me back to a long long time ago as a child. There used to be Monstervision on TNT and my grandpa would let me stay up to catch the old Godzilla movies. I am sold on this completely absolutely love it love it. Looks like they have have finally found a proper way to make the big green guy look ultra badass the way he should look.

I could be wrong but I believe they made a sequel to the 1954 Godzilla in I want to say 1956 or maybe the early 1960s which was also in black and white. Again, I could be wrong.

Guest John Hancock
I could be wrong but I believe they made a sequel to the 1954 Godzilla in I want to say 1956 or maybe the early 1960s which was also in black and white. Again, I could be wrong.

I Googled, I'm not proud.

The original Godzilla was made in 1954 (which I didn't have to Google, so shut up Dad). The first sequel was Godzilla Rises Again, with a new director in 1955, then the first cross-over was Godzilla vs. King Kong, with Ishiro Honda, the original director back again, in 1962. Honda made three more, one a year, up to 1965, when he was replaced by Jun Fukuda, who one in 1966, and another in 1967. Then Honda comes back again. In 1969, the guy who did the effects for everything so far, Eiji Tsuburaya, retires. Honda takes over the effects from one movie, All Monsters Attack, before a new team comes in, Yoshimitsu Banno directing, and Teruyoshi Nakano doing the effects. That combo only lasted one movie, before Fukuda replaced Banno, but Nakano stayed on as the effects guy. Nakano and Fukuda made the next three, before Honda came back to make the last of the original run, Terror of Mechagodzilla, in 1975. All together, there were fifteen Godzilla movies in 21 years. Since 1975, there's been 12 Japanese Godzillas with a variety of directors, and the infamous American version (which was technically the second American version. There was an American and European cut of the original Godzilla released in 1956 called Godzilla: King of the Monsters, where the only difference was the entire thing was dubbed into English and, I'm not making this up, new scenes were edited in so there were white people in it).

Guest John Hancock
There's actually a really good book on them if you can be bothered to learn letters. It's called Mushroom Clouds & Mushroom Men.

the infamous American version
There was also a Japanese sequel that had the US version in Sydney, only for the real Godzilla to kill her very quickly.

[video=youtube_share;bIcExdpsEcQ]

In the film, they also make reference to New York being attacked, but categorically stating it was not Godzilla to blame.

• 2 months later...