Open Club  ·  16 members  ·  Free

Godzilla (Monsterverse)

Godzilla (2014)

King

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything to help erase the memory of the Broderick 90's version.
I just find it hypocritical that the "Why doesn't Hollywood do something original? Why do they keep remaking things?" brigade are virtually silent for this film.

Guest John Hancock

Godzilla's like a stock character to me, like Dracula or the Wolf Man or James Bond, you can do whatever with him as long as the tone's right. It's not like remaking one very specific film that people really love or have an attachment to. I mean, who loves the original movie Godzilla aside from the actual monster of Godzilla?

It's pretty inaccurate to compare how people feel about Godzilla, as a character to, say, "It's a Wonderful Life", as a film. They're not the same thing at all.

Because maybe there's already been like 1000 Godzilla movies. It's not the same at all.

Godzilla's like a stock character to me, like Dracula or the Wolf Man or James Bond, you can do whatever with him as long as the tone's right. It's not like remaking one very specific film that people really love or have an attachment to. I mean, who loves the original movie Godzilla aside from the actual monster of Godzilla?

It's pretty inaccurate to compare how people feel about Godzilla, as a character to, say, "It's a Wonderful Life", as a film. They're not the same thing at all.

If you ask any die hard Godzilla fan what their all time favorite Godzilla movie is I doubt any name the very first one. Mine is Destroy all Monsters or Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II.
While I can agree that there are certain degrees to a character and a beloved classic movie, that still doesn't mean the "where is the originality" complainers being silent is not hypocritical.

We won't know if there's any originality until the film's released. Besides, Matthew Broderick killed a man.

The Ferris Bueller star was driving in Ireland with then girlfriend Jennifer Grey when he veered into the other lane and crashed head on with another car killing the driver. It was determined he was not drunk, but the reason for the accident was never determined.

My guess? Road head is to blame.

With her nose back then? No way Jennifer Grey was getting any decent action going on with that conk getting in the way.

Plus I thought rumour has it that Brodrick bats for the other side and the hell beast that is Sarah Jessica Parker is his horrible looking beard. But then again, if not if you look at 80's Grey and SJP then he has a type.

As for the remake hate etc - I think now it is just general apathy that it is still going on. Superman has been rebooted twice in the same decade, Batman will be rebooted again, Spiderman rebooted, Godzilla, Robocop, Dredd, Flashdance, Fame, Bond - all rebooted, all in recent memory.

Plus I think people want to see if US cinema can actually get a monster movie right this time - and yes that includes Cloverleaf and Super 8.

It also doesn't hurt that a lot of those reboots have been good to great. Bond, Dredd, Spidey, Supes and the Nolan Batman movies are all reboots of franchises who last movies before the reboot were, in that order, indifferent, good(ish), overblown, shite and terrible.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest John Hancock

NO WAY IS THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENING! Godzilla face turn! I'm so, so happy!

EDIT: I already watched it five times. I think this is probably the highlight of my entire life. LET THEM FIGHT.

Edited by John Hancock

I watched it quite a few times myself and for all the same reasons. This is the Godzilla movie we deserve.

edit:

Also,

"A monster?"

"No...a god."

Dem feels!

Edited by Maxximus

Guest Anime Otaku

I saw the Asian trailer on Dr Michio Kaku's facebook a few days ago.

So looking at a Godzilla wiki it seems like

the other monster is Rodan.