Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva II

Guest John Hancock

Guest Jimmy Redman
To be fair to Weidman, he was also easily winning the fight when it happened. He'll probably never shake the fluke tag just because of the wacky circumstances, but it's a shame for his sake if so because he was all over Silva here.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

Weidman almost finished Silva

In the first, Silva looked like he was loosening up in the second so who knows what would have happened. Silva was acting weird during his walkout, he looked like he didn't want to be there, like he was fighting a rematch he didn't want. It was strange, maybe his heart wasn't in it anymore.

Guest Frank Botch
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 21m

Anderson is yelling at the top of his lungs on the stretcher backstage. I've never heard anything like that. A horrible sound.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 12m

I'm going to remember that Anderson scream forever. You try not to get emotional here but it was truly heart-breaking. A cruel end.

Ugh

Well that is Anderson finished for good I'd imagine, holy shit that was brutal. Real sad end for him. Ronda is heel of the year. I have to go to bed. I just know I'll dream of rubber legs and some women throwing me around the place. Same as any other night then. Also real bummed about Josh.

Back to the rest of the card, in the first fight on the prelims, in the first round there was a takedown in which someone farted really loud upon impact. Really made me chuckle like the kid I am.

We also saw a wrist clutch Death Valley Driver/Shellshock which was awesome, mainly due to the stall before the slam which wasn't showboating he was just making sure the guy he was slamming could get him in a Kimura as he had a double wristlock at the time.

Chris Leben is done - which is a shame but he got hurt bad again and it looks like Dana is gonna cut him regardless. Shame to see a great warriors career ending but he just can't keep plodding forward swinging for the fences. It's just not that sport anymore.

Browne with insane downward clinch elbows again. Barnett get messed up and needs a big win to keep himself in the company because Dana doesn't like him but likes his name value at heavyweight - unless he loses back to back and then the pressure will mount.

As for the fuss over Ronda not shaking Tate's hand. Well boo hoo. If I took the crap Ronda did for months, if insults had been fired at people who aren't involved with it then I would want to rip off the others persons arm and not shake their hand either. Yes it is Martials Arts, yes there is an unspoken and unwritten code of respect but these two don't respect each other as people so why sugar coat it? Plus it is an unwritten rule, you want guaranteed handshakes then make it a bloody rule.

Also respect to one of my favourite fighters, Jim Miller with a swish armbar variation for the win - great technique for the win.

EDIT: Ariel should not be tweeting that in my opinion. It is frickin gross, shocking and upsetting as it is - we don't need to know about his screams and anguish you arse.

Edited by Evil Gringo

Guest Jimmy Redman
Weidman almost finished Silva

In the first, Silva looked like he was loosening up in the second so who knows what would have happened. Silva was acting weird during his walkout, he looked like he didn't want to be there, like he was fighting a rematch he didn't want. It was strange, maybe his heart wasn't in it anymore.

I actually thought the same thing between the rounds. Anderson looked really out of it, like he wanted to be anywhere else. I mean sure he just got rocked, but I still thought he seemed off.

Even during the tour to promote the fight, the stare down and the entrance Silva just seemed off and different then before.

He put his hands up and stared at Weidman, he doesn't do that ever as Rogan alluded to in commentary during the entrance. His pauses during his walk in and general demeanour and his bow during his intro. It was a bit weird but I thought maybe he was just being more humble given how the finish of the last fight occurred.

Quick Sidebar: If Dana could do one thing for us though, could he please tell Brittany Palmer she doesn't need any more plastic surgery? Seriously, she is a beautiful women who is going to ruin herself.

Dear god that's horrific!

Silva's done, i love anderson to bits with the exception of the fights he had where he didn't try but there's no way to recover from a leg break that bad. The long term rehab along with even little sparring, it's just virtually near impossible.

Good lord that was horrendous. I think it's something to do with lanky fighters with thin legs as Corey Hill was exactly the same when he broke his leg. Like has been said Weidman was winning the fight up until that point but there is not a person in the world who would want the fight to end the way it did. That's surely it for Silva now, hopefully he will be able to get back to 100%. Hill managed it and even started fighting again, hopefully Anderson's age won't cause the rehabilitation any problems.

Ignoring the leg break the whole show was fantastic. Finishes aplenty, Tate/Rousey was a tremendous fight with Rousey now being the UFC's top heel, Travis Browne looked sensational, it's always great when Jim Miller wins and Uriah Hall actually won a fight.

For those of you interested in the future of Ronda's belt, which should be all of you, she's defending against fellow Olympic medalist Sara McMann next as Cat Zangano's injury isn't healed yet. Incredibly it's only going to be less than two months away, now headlining UFC 170 on the 22nd February with Daniel Cormier/Rashad Evans as the co-Main Event.

Edited by Chris2K

Anderson update:

Zuffa, LLC, owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship®, released the following statement regarding Anderson Silva's injury.

"Following Saturday evening's UFC 168 main event, former champion Anderson Silva was taken to a local Las Vegas hospital where he underwent surgery to repair a broken left leg. The successful surgery, performed by Dr. Steven Sanders, the UFC's orthopedic surgeon, inserted an intramedullary rod into Anderson's left tibia. The broken fibula was stabilized and does not require a separate surgery. Anderson will remain in the hospital for a short while, but no additional surgery is scheduled at this time. Recovery time for such injuries may vary between three and six months.

"Anderson is deeply touched by the outpouring of support from his fans and the entire MMA community. There has been no immediate decision about his future, and he would kindly ask for privacy at this time as he deals with his injury and prepares to return home to recover."

That should be a lot more interesting as McCann can clearly hang when it comes to the ground and actually owns a TKO victory as well so he ground and pound from the top should she take Ronda down would need to be respected a wee bit more then Tate who usually just strikes to pass. Also on the card is Damien Maia v Rory McDonald which I will enjoy, that really does have the makings of a good fight.

There are no events, PPV, Fight Night or Fox planned card wise after April - should be interesting how the UFC fills them given the amount of injuries their now are.

Also great news about Anderson. I thought looking at it that it was a double leg break but a single fractured tibia is much more recoverable.

Guest John Hancock
Anderson should never consider fighting again he has nothing to prove and his career didn't end with a loss it ended with an injury. Good for Weidman he isn't to blame he is running with the cards he was dealt and he's the champ. Anderson is the best there has ever been, hopefully he can recover and live without constant pain.

This. Hoping for Silva back in the cage, at this point, is just crazy. Even if he convinces himself he can, I don't want to see that. He's the best of all time, and the last two fights don't change that. He needs to leave and heal and hope he'll ever be able to live a normal life. He'll make a great coach, and a great ambassador for the sport in Brazil, but I don't want to see anything more than that at this point.

Guest The Beltster
I'd get a kick (pun kind of intended) out of Anderson coaching and cornering somebody to beat Weidman. His future in MMA is definitely in coaching guys, he seems to enjoy it, he just opened that great gym, he's rich. No need for more training camps or to tarnish his legacy Chuck Liddell style where he keeps coming back and getting flattened by lesser opponents who have no business beating him. After Weidman KO'ed him last time, he must have destroyed Silva's famous granite jaw because he KO'ed him again in the clinch last night, luckily Silva recovered and Herb Dean gave him huge leeway in not stopping it. If he can't take a punch anymore, as a counter striker, thats not good and with that leg now, not being able to set up his striking with his leg kicks like he always has done...I'd forget it.

Guest John Hancock
Chael's offered Silva a position as assistant coach on TUF Brazil against Wanderlei. He'll never take it, but a man can dream.

Guest The Beltster
I'm certain Helwani said he has accepted but now with this injury he won't be in any position to be able to coach in time for that show to film.

Guest The Beltster
Maybe they can turn up at the building with Chael riding a motorbike and Silva in the side car with goggles and a helmet on, like Boon.