Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva II

Guest John Hancock

At around 7:00 AM EST Sunday morning, the UFC released an update stating the Silva’s surgery was a success and he will not need a follow up procedure on his fibula.

“Following Saturday evening’s UFC 168 main event, former champion Anderson Silva was taken to a local Las Vegas hospital where he underwent surgery to repair a broken left leg. The successful surgery, performed by Dr. Steven Sanders, the UFC’s orthopedic surgeon, inserted an intramedullary rod into Anderson’s left tibia. The broken fibula was stabilized and does not require a separate surgery. Anderson will remain in the hospital for a short while, but no additional surgery is scheduled at this time. Recovery time for such injuries may vary between three and six months.

It is not likely that the three-to-six months of recovery is a timetable for the former UFC Middleweight Champion’s return to the octagon. It will simply take three-to-six months for the bone to heal properly. The injury that Anderson Silva suffered was extremely serious and will require months of physical therapy to bring his muscles back to full strength.

Credit BJPENN. COM

Nice to see the surgery was a success and he won't need any follow up surgery.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I can see Silva coming back for a final fight against someone he knows he can beat so he can at least quit as a winner rather than ending his MMA career on a stretcher. But who? Bisping? I cant see him ever fighting anyone who could legit trouble him now.

Guest The Beltster
I'm his biggest fan but I'd hate to see him come back just to get a win over a tomato can for the sake of getting a win, I dont know how motivated he would be for that either, I'm sure he has a lot of pride. They could always put him over on Fox or PPV with a HOF induction and nice video package, he doesn't need to prove anything to anybody when it comes to beating anybody.

Making a physical recovery isn't always possible with such an injury but even if it is, not many people recover mentally. If Silva's leg healed, every time he went into the gym he'd be worried about his leg, he wouldn't kick as freely, he wouldn't want to take kicks and that's a major issue for a fighter. It's not so much the fear of getting injured again but to always be aware that you're vulnerable is a big deal and it's not something most people can overcome, especially fighters who have gone through their careers being ultra confident in themselves.

It's a sad end to a career but I doubt he'll fight in the UFC again. Aside from the injury, I just don't think he's good enough any more so what's the point? He always wanted to have a boxing match, so maybe he can get more motivated for that? The result would be inevitable but I wouldn't be too surprised to see him make the switch.

Guest The Beltster
I just don't think he's good enough any more so what's the point?
What makes you say that? One fluke loss followed by an injury loss? He was making Weidman look like sh*t in that first fight and fluke KO aside he would have probably beaten him and moved on to Vitor, still undefeated and people still saying he's the greatest, he has a 6 month span of bad luck and he goes from being the greatest to not being good enough anymore :lol

Come on now, lets not get crazy here.

It does Weidman a disservice to say that one loss was a fluke and the other was an injury loss. Weidman stuck to a good gameplan in the first fight, and his corner got the instructions spot on, and he was the better fighter in the rematch. Anderson Silva should not be losing two fights in a row against an opponent like that who, honestly, is pretty unspectacular, yet he got knocked out in their first fight because his reflexes are fading and was getting soundly beaten in the second fight. The decline in Silva has been obvious for a few years now, and obviously got highlighted with the first Sonnen fight, and it's clear he's not the same fighter any more. His reflexes are fading, his footwork has regressed, his timing is off and his chin isn't there either. They're all the signs of a fighter who is well past his best and that isn't going to turn around, so I'd stand by my point that he's not good enough any more.

When I say he's "not good enough", I'm not saying he can't beat some the guys around him anymore because whilst he has aged significantly, he's still obviously a good fighter but what is the point? He's not 'Anderson Silva' anymore, he's just another very good fighter who'll beat the odd opponent, get knocked out himself and that's it. That's not what he should settle for. If he can't be the best, then he shouldn't stay around and be just another guy.

Guest The Beltster
It does Weidman a disservice to say that one loss was a fluke and the other was an injury loss.
It does him a disservice to state the facts? The first fight was a fluke, Anderson was clowning him but he was also winning the fight, and he got caught with a fluke shot. Weidman didn't line it up, its not like he nailed him with pin point accurate striking, he was flailing his arms around like a mad man and one lucky shot connected. And the second fight was an injury loss, regardless of whether Weidman was winning the fight or not. Sonnen was winning the fight for 4 3/4 rounds and lost, so...

Weidman stuck to a good gameplan in the first fight, and his corner got the instructions spot on, and he was the better fighter in the rematch. Anderson Silva should not be losing two fights in a row against an opponent like that who, honestly, is pretty unspectacular, yet he got knocked out in their first fight because his reflexes are fading and was getting soundly beaten in the second fight. The decline in Silva has been obvious for a few years now, and obviously got highlighted with the first Sonnen fight, and it's clear he's not the same fighter any more. His reflexes are fading, his footwork has regressed, his timing is off and his chin isn't there either. They're all the signs of a fighter who is well past his best and that isn't going to turn around, so I'd stand by my point that he's not good enough any more.
I've gotta tell you, this is quite a lot of horse shit Jack. Yes, Weidman stuck to the game plan in the 2nd, but the fact is people check leg kicks all the time, it was a freak injury that ended the fight, not Weidmans superior skills or Andersons fading talent, come on! And how has his decline been obvious? He had mangled ribs in the first fight with Sonnen and still won, try even getting up off the couch with broken or cracked ribs let alone fight a wrestler when that it your weakest skill. After than he destroyed Okami, came back and hammered Sonnen, went up a weight class at the last minute and was like the Matrix against Stephan Bonner, and finished him in the 1st round when nobody had EVER finished Bonner, then he came in, was beating Weidman and got caught with a fluke and broke his leg in the second fight, so what are you on about bro?! Its like you're just making this up for shits and giggles without having paid attention to what has actually been happening.

If only losing on a fluke and by breaking your leg means you aren't good enough anymore, then I guess he isn't good enough anymore.

When I say he's "not good enough", I'm not saying he can't beat some the guys around him anymore because whilst he has aged significantly, he's still obviously a good fighter but what is the point? He's not 'Anderson Silva' anymore, he's just another very good fighter who'll beat the odd opponent, get knocked out himself and that's it. That's not what he should settle for. If he can't be the best, then he shouldn't stay around and be just another guy.
"Aged significantly" "Beat the odd opponent and get KO'ed himself" :lol He lost 2 fights on a fluke and an injury, you're making out he's some washed up old fart who couldn't beat his own meat. A few years ago Vitor Belfort lost 5 of 7 fights, since then he has won 10 and lost twice and those 2 losses to Anderson and Jon Jones (who he almost beat), you'd have called him washed up too I expect yet look what he's doing and he is only 2 years younger than Anderson.

Sorry, you can have your option and all that shit but I couldn't disagree more, you're as wrong as wrong can be.

Edited by The Beltster

I'm not going to say Silva is past it, and I'm fully aware I'm going to get ranted at for saying this, but Weidman beat Silva in the second fight before the injury stoppage. Silva was out after the punch from the clinch and 8 out of 10 times a referee would have stopped the fight, some people get more time to recover especially in Main Event title matches which is why the fight continued.

And I still stand by my opinion that Belfort would be past it if TRT wasn't keeping him young.

Guest The Beltster
I'm not going to say Silva is past it, and I'm fully aware I'm going to get ranted at for saying this, but Weidman beat Silva in the second fight before the injury stoppage. Silva was out after the punch from the clinch and 8 out of 10 times a referee would have stopped the fight, some people get more time to recover especially in Main Event title matches which is why the fight continued.

And I still stand by my opinion that Belfort would be past it if TRT wasn't keeping him young.

Well he didn't beat him before the stoppage, he was beating him, but he didn't beat him. If he beat him it would have been stopped. You say he got preferential treatment but I dont see how. When he was out, the ref wasn't in position to notice he was KO'ed and he immediately woke back up on the next shot and then continued to work, defend and pull guard for the rest of the round, it wasn't like he turtled up and was taking unanswered shots. Thats called good reffing, thats why Herb Dean in the best, he doesn't just leap in and stop things without giving guys a chance to recover. He dropped him and Anderson survived and showed zero ill effects in the 2nd round and was starting to get his range with kicks. So saying he beat him is wrong, he was beating him on points fair enough.

And that TRT excuse holds no water if you look at the bigger picture of all the other people who are using it who all look like crap! If it was keeping him young, how come it hasn't kept Dan Henderson young? He was on TRT when he fought Vitor and he looked like sh*t. How come it hasn't kept Sonnen looking great? Or Overeem, who has never looked worse?! Vitor has always been a massively talented fighter, TRT or no TRT.

Edited by The Beltster

With Vitor he has actually got healthy and injury free for quite a while which is a massive change plus he has changed the people around him over the years and is in a much better place as a result both in himself and in his career.

Once you do that then TRT helps. Henderson has regressed over the years and relies on his right hand of doom. Overeem is just too big due to the TRT and bulking up and that has effected his speed and cardio. Plus he was over hyped to begin with, he got to the top of some very average heavyweight ranks in some poor companies and suddenly he's the second coming - he isn't - he's a light heavy punching above his weight due to abuse of drugs.

Finally Sonnen these days doesn't care about fights, he cares about being a celeb of the MMA world. He is all about the money and that's it and doesn't care if he wins or loses, in fact I have never seen a man who was so just unbothered by losing a title match as he was against Jon Jones. He reached his peak in the first Silva fight and has regressed ever since.

I wouldn't say Anderson was done either. Shogun, now he is done, Leben as well, Sonnen, Henderson - these are fighters who plod forward, do the same old things because their body and mind won't let them do anything else. Silva was obviously not the same fighter in regards to his chin as he used to be otherwise he wouldn't have got dropped in the first fight when he was clowning or in the second in the clinch - this is after all the same guy who took bombs from Hendo in his prime and was unfazed.

But that is the beauty of this finish in some respects - the fact is we'll never know how it would have panned out over five rounds and if Weidman had surpassed him completely. It will forever preserve his legacy so long as he doesn't come back, if ever can, and spoil it.

Edited by Evil Gringo

Guest John Hancock

Silva's doctor has said the injury came pretty close to Silva possibly losing his leg. F*cking hell.

Also, the same doctor said Silva has already asked about when he can start training again, so you never know.

Guest The Beltster

His corner said they heard it crack the first time I think. Meltzer said the people ringside said the sound when it snapped was so loud it was like a baseball bat snapping. F*ck that! Ouch.

Reading this article, seems like a very positive outlook for him all things considered.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/30/5258958/anderson-silva-expected-to-return-to-training-in-six-to-nine-months

Edited by The Beltster

It does him a disservice to state the facts? The first fight was a fluke, Anderson was clowning him but he was also winning the fight, and he got caught with a fluke shot. Weidman didn't line it up, its not like he nailed him with pin point accurate striking, he was flailing his arms around like a mad man and one lucky shot connected. And the second fight was an injury loss, regardless of whether Weidman was winning the fight or not. Sonnen was winning the fight for 4 3/4 rounds and lost, so...
What was flukey about Weidman choosing to stand and throw shots rather than go to the ground, which had been effective in the first round? It isn't a fluke to throw jab feints, and then left hook off the jab. It was the perfect choice, knowing full well that Silva's defence is entirely based upon reflexes, so Weidman countered that defence, landing the left hook and then knocking him out? It's very easy to say that it was a fluke but that is clearly nonsense. Weidman had stopped trying to take Silva down, he was getting closer with his punches and then, as early the second round, it worked perfectly for him. It wasn't a fight that Silva had dominated for 4 rounds and then got caught with a silly shot, Weidman may have been getting clowned but his gameplan worked perfectly.

So yeah, it does him a disservice to dismiss his first win as being a fluke. He didn't shut his eyes, swing and land a lucky shot, Weidman knocked Silva out because he's a flawed fighter who had his flaws exposed.

If Weidman's win over Silva is going to be dismissed as a fluke, I suppose Silva's win over Belfort would also be considered a "fluke" too? Of course not. Things don't happen in fighting because of a fluke. The fighters work hard in the gym every day for months in order to focus on the smallest perceived weakness in their opponent and when they get their strategy right, as Weidman did, then it works out for them. Like I said, Weidman didn't just close his eyes, swing an arm out and luckily catch Silva, he was feinting his jab, he was hooking off the jab and he got it spot on.

I've gotta tell you, this is quite a lot of horse shit Jack. Yes, Weidman stuck to the game plan in the 2nd, but the fact is people check leg kicks all the time, it was a freak injury that ended the fight, not Weidmans superior skills or Andersons fading talent, come on! And how has his decline been obvious? He had mangled ribs in the first fight with Sonnen and still won, try even getting up off the couch with broken or cracked ribs let alone fight a wrestler when that it your weakest skill. After than he destroyed Okami, came back and hammered Sonnen, went up a weight class at the last minute and was like the Matrix against Stephan Bonner, and finished him in the 1st round when nobody had EVER finished Bonner, then he came in, was beating Weidman and got caught with a fluke and broke his leg in the second fight, so what are you on about bro?! Its like you're just making this up for shits and giggles without having paid attention to what has actually been happening.

If only losing on a fluke and by breaking your leg means you aren't good enough anymore, then I guess he isn't good enough anymore.

I'm not that interested in the results because his opponents were poor, so it's not a reflection of Silva's ability at that point. You mention Bonnar but he was a pretty average fighter at his best years ago and the version Silva beat was absolutely finished, so of course Silva dominated him. One of the guys Silva constantly mentions is Roy Jones Jr., who has won his last three fights, dominated in all of them yet he's still a shot fighter who has nothing left against a reasonable opponent. The fact that Silva could beat Bonnar, Sonnen, Okami and Belfort easily didn't surprise me, nor does it change my opinion that Silva was still aging. He was, he just still had enough left to beat those but his decline was still apparent.

Like I said, the signs of Silva aging are clear to see. Compare his footwork now to back when he stopped Franklin. Look at his timing, his speed, his reflexes. Everything that is associated with a fighter aging is now a serious issue for Silva, and they're the reason he lost twice in a row against Weidman, who isn't a special talent. The version of Silva from 2007, 2008, 2009 or whatever, would have knocked Weidman out without breaking much of a sweat and now in 2013, he loses to him twice. That's a significant decline.

Assuming Silva recovers from his injury and chooses to fight again, I imagine he'd beat a few decent level opponents. If he showboats whilst doing, the odd few will get conned into believing he's back to his best, I'm sure, but I don't see much future for him in MMA and I hope those around him see that too. There's no point in him spoiling his legacy.

Yeah, Belfort is a drugs cheat who shouldn't be anywhere near a fighting sport. The fact the UFC allow him to take PEDs is disgraceful and his career resurgence is far more about his drug use than anything else.

EDIT: I say that as a former fan of his too, probably since the early 2000s. He should be banned, without question.

Edited by Jack

Guest The Beltster
What was flukey about Weidman choosing to stand and throw shots rather than go to the ground, which had been effective in the first round? It isn't a fluke to throw jab feints, and then left hook off the jab. It was the perfect choice, knowing full well that Silva's defence is entirely based upon reflexes, so Weidman countered that defence, landing the left hook and then knocking him out? It's very easy to say that it was a fluke but that is clearly nonsense. Weidman had stopped trying to take Silva down, he was getting closer with his punches and then, as early the second round, it worked perfectly for him. It wasn't a fight that Silva had dominated for 4 rounds and then got caught with a silly shot, Weidman may have been getting clowned but his gameplan worked perfectly.
Did you not see the shot that dropped him?! He wasn't throwing jab feints and he didn't line up the hook, he was flailing around hoping for the best. Anybody who saw it would agree it was a fluke shot that dropped him. Taking nothing away from Weidmans power or the fact he won, for all we know it was the second huge shot on the ground which ended it, but the one that dropped him WAS a fluke, saying otherwise is nonsense. And his game plan didn't work perfectly, his game plan was to take Silva down and beat him with his wrestling, Andersons clowning completely took Weidman OUT of his game plan. Honestly, it really comes across here like you have no idea what you're talking about...

yeah, it does him a disservice to dismiss his first win as being a fluke. He didn't shut his eyes, swing and land a lucky shot, Weidman knocked Silva out because he's a flawed fighter who had his flaws exposed.
Sorry but thats bullshit. It was a fluke, it was a lucky shot, it wasn't like he has pinpoint accuracy, he got lucky. Has nothing to do with Silvas flaws either. If he is so flawed why had he, until that point, heated 17 guys in a row in the UFC in several weight divisions with the vast majority being clean finishes? Yeah bro, he's so flawed...you sound like a guy who is nothing more than a Silva hater who is savouring in the moment the greatest MMA fighter ever finally lost and using crazy reasons to explain it.

Weidman's win over Silva is going to be dismissed as a fluke, I suppose Silva's win over Belfort would also be considered a "fluke" too? Of course not. Things don't happen in fighting because of a fluke. The fighters work hard in the gym every day for months in order to focus on the smallest perceived weakness in their opponent and when they get their strategy right, as Weidman did, then it works out for them. Like I said, Weidman didn't just close his eyes, swing an arm out and luckily catch Silva, he was feinting his jab, he was hooking off the jab and he got it spot on.
Christ are you insane or something? You can clearly see Anderson watch for his opening in the Vitor fight and drill him with that kick as opposed to Weidmans flailing arms. I know you're not stupid, but you are saying stupid shit.

not that interested in the results because his opponents were poor, so it's not a reflection of Silva's ability at that point. You mention Bonnar but he was a pretty average fighter at his best years ago and the version Silva beat was absolutely finished, so of course Silva dominated him. One of the guys Silva constantly mentions is Roy Jones Jr., who has won his last three fights, dominated in all of them yet he's still a shot fighter who has nothing left against a reasonable opponent. The fact that Silva could beat Bonnar, Sonnen, Okami and Belfort easily didn't surprise me, nor does it change my opinion that Silva was still aging. He was, he just still had enough left to beat those but his decline was still apparent.
Silvas opponents were poor? :lol You know what bro, whatever. Its pointless even bothering at this point, you dont know what you're on about.

Like I said, the signs of Silva aging are clear to see. Compare his footwork now to back when he stopped Franklin. Look at his timing, his speed, his reflexes. Everything that is associated with a fighter aging is now a serious issue for Silva, and they're the reason he lost twice in a row against Weidman, who isn't a special talent. The version of Silva from 2007, 2008, 2009 or whatever, would have knocked Weidman out without breaking much of a sweat and now in 2013, he loses to him twice. That's a significant decline.
You're comparing a 31 year old fighter to a 37 year old fighter, of course there is going to be a certain degree of drop off, but nowhere near as much as you seem to want to claim. Even in the first fight with Weidman he was showing a different level of speed compared to Weidman, making Chris look like he was walking in mud. The reason he lost the first time was bad luck, the reason he lost the 2nd fight was a broken leg, lets not making out he was going to lose that fight before the break because thats ifs, ands or buts and there have been plenty of times people have been in trouble in a fight and gone on to win, including Silva himself.

Assuming Silva recovers from his injury and chooses to fight again, I imagine he'd beat a few decent level opponents. If he showboats whilst doing, the odd few will get conned into believing he's back to his best, I'm sure, but I don't see much future for him in MMA and I hope those around him see that too. There's no point in him spoiling his legacy.
Docs say his leg will not only be back at flu strength in max of 9 months but stronger with the titanium rod, so lets see. If he comes back and he has aged, fair enough, but his injury won't have a bearing and its not something that a guy of 38 can't heal from at the same speed as an 18 year old according to the guy who did the surgery.

You say I'm doing a disservice to Weidman by stating facts, yet you are doing a massive disservice to the GOAT by making up he is not only washed up, but has been for ages and only got wins over other guys who are even more washed up. From everything you've written it tells me it would be best you stick to talking about boxing, something you actually know something about, rather than MMA, which you have always seemed to have weird and wonderful opinions on that dont seem to make much sense.

Yeah, Belfort is a drugs cheat who shouldn't be anywhere near a fighting sport. The fact the UFC allow him to take PEDs is disgraceful and his career resurgence is far more about his drug use than anything else.
Yeah right, the TRT is the only reason right? Even though everybody else who is on it hasn't looked any better and has, infact, only looked worse. Vitor must be taking a special super brand of TRT that nobody else knows about :lol

Funny, of all you people who want to credit the TRT for Vitors skill and talent, you dont want to actually explain why ONLY he has shown this quality of fighting while all the others have looked like dog shit...

Oh dear.

Edited by The Beltster

Looks like the Belfort/TRT argument is going to have its climax. Weidman vs. Belfort is almost as good as set for Nevada, a place where fighters have to seek permission to use TRT, and as Belfort has failed a steroids test in the past he is very unlikely to be granted a TRT exemption and thus will not be allowed to use it.

So I will go on record and say that if Belfort doesn't get his TRT exemption and still beats Weidman then I will accept that Belfort is a better fighter than I give him credit for.