Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE Royal Rumble 2014 Discussion Thread - January 26, 2014 from Pittsburgh, PA (#27)

TPIB

Guest Jimmy Redman
I agree completely............but it could be another plan to make the Rhodes brothers split???

What on earth should they split for? I know in real life they want to work Mania against each other, but I think it's a completely mental idea. The Rhodeses are a lot better together than they would be apart. Goldust turning heel is the worst idea of all time. Cody turning heel works better but he'd be standing at the back of a long line of guys who have more main event potential than him right now and he'd end up straight back in the midcard abyss. And once the Cody feud ends they'd probably can Goldust, which is also the worst idea of all time. All so they can have their masturbatory brother feud at Mania they always wanted. No thanks.

I get that the split is the ultimate reason for the team, but it's way too soon. They haven't been together FOUR MONTHS yet. Do it six months from now, do it next year, whatever.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fatherof10minis
Not terribly surprised to hear this but i read that Daniel Bryan has been cleared to return to in ring action. Is this fact?

I'm assuming that Daniel Bryan has been cleared to compete, seeing as they booked Bryan vs. Bray for the Rumble.

Speaking of which, CM Punk will be entering the Rumble Match at #1, which made me think, when was the last time that a Superstar was forced to start at #1 in the Rumble? I know that it has happened before, but the last instance I can remember was in 1999 when Vince put Austin in the match at #1 and Michaels (as the Commissioner) put Vince in at #2. Surely it has happened more recently than that.

I would love to see Punk enter at #1 then go on to win the whole thing, but the combined reality of Kane screwing Punk over and the fact that Batista seems to be all but guaranteed to be the one to win makes me doubt Punk will win.

For anyone who is curious, WWE has confirmed 21 of the 30 participants in this year's Rumble Match. I fully expect Sheamus to make his return in the match and I would not be surprised to see Rob Van Dam and/or Chris Jericho take part in it. Depending on where their matches fall on the card, I wouldn't be surprised to see Daniel Bryan, Bray Wyatt, Big Show, or Brock Lesnar join the match.

I'm rather disappointed and a bit surprised that WWE decided to put the WWE Tag Team Title match on the pre-show. In my opinion, I would rather see the tag title match on the card and Bryan/Bray on the pre-show.

Speaking of which, I think it is pretty much well-known at this point that WWE is aiming towards a Goldust vs. Cody Rhodes match at WrestleMania, so there's no doubt in my mind that the Rumble will see the start of that angle.

I also cannot help but notice how many first-timers are in this year's Rumble as, if I'm not mistaken, eight of the announced participants have never been in a Rumble before (Langston, Fandango, Xavier, Harper, Rowan, & The Shield). I expect very little from either Fandango or Xavier Woods and Harper & Rowan will likely not do anything special, but it will be interesting to see what they have planned for the Langston and The Shield in the match with Langston being Cena's "pet project" and the whole dissension angle with The Shield. I really hope they will put Roman Reigns over again and have him make a big impact on the Rumble Match by just going through a bunch of guys (similar to what they did with Reigns at Survivor Series).

I really hope this year's Rumble Match makes up for that horrible Rumble last year.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Speaking of which, CM Punk will be entering the Rumble Match at #1, which made me think, when was the last time that a Superstar was forced to start at #1 in the Rumble? I know that it has happened before, but the last instance I can remember was in 1999 when Vince put Austin in the match at #1 and Michaels (as the Commissioner) put Vince in at #2. Surely it has happened more recently than that.

Dolph Ziggler. 2013.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I'll believe it when I see it. People seem to be taking him having an undercard match as some sort of proof, which is ludicrous.

If they really don't put him in it at all the end of the Rumble will die a death. I mean, imagine that he doesn't come out by the time they get to the #30 entrant. If #30 is anyone other than Bryan at that point, the crowd will completely shit all over it.

This is one of those times where I can completely believe that WWE are stupid enough to actually do that, but I just hope that they aren't.

Guest The Beltster

Why is an Outlaws tag title run bad in any way whatsoever?! They aren't any worse now than they were 15 years ago, they look the same, they are over and it makes sense. Nothing wrong with that, I'd prefer them to have the belts than some shitty team like the Uso's.

Any why did WWE switch back from 40 guys to 30? I liked more old farts coming out with the higher number.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Why is an Outlaws tag title run bad in any way whatsoever?! They aren't any worse now than they were 15 years ago, they look the same, they are over and it makes sense. Nothing wrong with that, I'd prefer them to have the belts than some shitty team like the Uso's.

Any why did WWE switch back from 40 guys to 30? I liked more old farts coming out with the higher number.

I'd prefer more great tag team matches to more Outlaws doing babyface schtick while they're supposed to be heels and having meh matches.

40 was a one-off in 2011, they never did it again.

Guest The Beltster

I know it was a one off but any specific reason they didn't do it again I'm asking? Does anybody know or was it just a gimmick because they felt the show needed a little extra something? I'm interested to know.

And as for the Outlaws, I'd be fine with them having a run. The tag belts and the division in general seems to have had somewhat of an upswing, them getting a run and being dicks for HHH works for me.

Guest Jimmy Redman
I know it was a one off but any specific reason they didn't do it again I'm asking? Does anybody know or was it just a gimmick because they felt the show needed a little extra something? I'm interested to know.

And as for the Outlaws, I'd be fine with them having a run. The tag belts and the division in general seems to have had somewhat of an upswing, them getting a run and being dicks for HHH works for me.

I'm pretty sure it was just a one-off gimmick to sell it as "the biggest Rumble ever". Whether they ever wanted to do it again I don't know, but I don't think they had the roster depth for it anyway, and the 2011 match dragged.

I'm not against the Outlaws on spec, I love Road Dogg, but their whole deal is just confusing to me since they supposedly made this dastardly turn on Punk and are Authority lackeys, but still come out like babyfaces and do their schtick to get the crowd on their side. The entire face/heel divide of the Authority angle is stupid as shit and makes me not care about any of it.

And again, tag team matches have been awesome lately, and I'd much rather more Goldust in peril rather than having to watch Outlaws matches instead.

Guest The Beltster
Lack of roster depth would mean more old geezers or maybe some international guys like they used to do in the mid-late 90's. In reality it would probably mean WWE developmental guys. Eh.

is Road Dogg in peril any worse than Goldust in peril, seeing as that is how pretty much 90% of the NAO matches back in the day played out?

And I'd be all for more one off appearances in the Rumble match, although like Beltster says it'd probably just mean more WWE developmental guys rather than the sort of lineups we saw in the mid 90's in that match. Looking back at them now some crazy people came in from Japan and Mexico to compete in it.

Guest Jimmy Redman
is Road Dogg in peril any worse than Goldust in peril, seeing as that is how pretty much 90% of the NAO matches back in the day played out?

Yes?

Goldust in peril is very near to the top of the list of the best things currently in wrestling. The damn Road Dogg, of all people, working peril segments does not quite have the same ring to it.

It's funny to imagine the outsiders they brought in for the Rumble in today's context. The 90s gave us Tenryu and Carlos Colon and shit. I can't even imagine what, like, a Nakamura or a Rush or a Kojima or whoever guest appearance in a WWE ring would even look like.

EDIT: Holy shit, get L.A. Park in the Rumble immediately!

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest The Beltster
Yes?

Goldust in peril is very near to the top of the list of the best things currently in wrestling.

Yeah thats more a sign of the current state of wrestling (as in, its sh*t) than a compliment to Goldust, who has never been more than average at best.