Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Future Endeavored

Guest Will O the Wisp

Guest Matt Black
He's a massive power guy, what kind of matches do you expect him to be having? His finisher is a submission, he's supposed to be methodical. I mean, it's your opinion if you don't like him and everything but what is he doing that's so bad? He's certainly more interesting that Yoshi, Bourne and Drew if nothing else just from his physique and agility for his size.

Brock Lesnar's a "massive power guy", but you don't see him slouching around the ring like a geriatric bear on sedatives.

Some people might buy into the whole MMA style monster, but I've seen it done so many times before and with better workers to be interested in a guy who you just know would have been slapped into unconsciousness in ten seconds flat in any genuine shoot match.

Also, it's painful to watch jobbers having to basically stand stock still and let him wallop them, especially guys like Sin Cara, who we're supposed to believe are quick and hard to catch in the ring.

And last of all, stop the commentary team calling his finisher "The Accolade", when it's a bloody Camel Clutch!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
He is boring as f*ck to be honest. He's like a bad mid-90's gimmick foreign heel. His manager is fit though, but yeah, he sucks.

Guest Magic
I've no interest in Rusev. The big, scary, foreign monster is a gimmick I just can't care about. All the anti-America pro-Russia stuff, meh, boring.

Guest Matt Black
He is boring as f*ck to be honest. He's like a bad mid-90's gimmick foreign heel. His manager is fit though, but yeah, he sucks.

Put a pair of tights on her please, why is US wrestling obsessed with bare female legs?

I've no interest in Rusev. The big, scary, foreign monster is a gimmick I just can't care about. All the anti-America pro-Russia stuff, meh, boring.

He has the facial expression of a confused bumpkin trying to order a coffee in Starbucks.

Guest bigmatt
I'd be depressed to think that even moderately talented guys like Tatsu, Bourne and McIntyre were canned to make room for Alexander Rusev.

I just watched him wrestle the same match against Xavier Woods, Zack Ryder and Sin Cara.

Slow, plodding and with a look on his face that seems to suggest that he's not particularly fussed about being in the ring in the first place, he stinks up the place so badly that you can smell it before his entrance music hits.

Slow and plodding is not always a bad thing though is it? I mean some people say that about Hulk Hogan, do you think he was a good worker?

Guest Matt Black
Slow and plodding is not always a bad thing though is it? I mean some people say that about Hulk Hogan, do you think he was a good worker?

For the record, I think that Hogan was an atrocious worker, but one of the best and most charismatic performers of his generation thanks to his understanding of how to work a crowd and put himself in the heart of their emotional response to what he did in the ring. But even then, Hogan was capable of breaking into a trot when required and he seldom went through a match with the gormless expressions that characterise Rusev at the moment.

I don't know, maybe he'll improve with time and exposure to the wider roster in the main WWE promotion, maybe not.

He'll be feuding with Cena though, that's almost a given, so we can look forward to a lumbering clod facing a cack-handed clown in the near future.

Guest Matt Black
Then you'd be wrong.

No, I'd be possessed of an opinion based upon the fact that his reputation was based upon his persona rather than his in ring work. He was a barely passable worker, but one of the greatest names in the history of the industry nonetheless.

No, I'd be possessed of an opinion based upon the fact that his reputation was based upon his persona rather than his in ring work. He was a barely passable worker, but one of the greatest names in the history of the industry nonetheless.
I can't believe this argument has sprung up again, but a great worker is not based on the number of moves you do.

Hogan was the best worker in the business. He could work a crowd like no other, he could get you invested in a match like no other and he could put his opponents over (until it was time to stop putting them over) like no other.

Guest Matt Black
I can't believe this argument has sprung up again, but a great worker is not based on the number of moves you do.

Hogan was the best worker in the business. He could work a crowd like no other, he could get you invested in a match like no other and he could put his opponents over (until it was time to stop putting them over) like no other.

Point taken.

Guest The Beltster
No, you'd be wrong. You are under the misinformed impression that the amount of moves you do in a match = the quality worker you are. We've had this discussion so many times, its surprising how many people get moves and working all mixed into the same category.

Moves doesnt have jack to do with being a worker. Hogan was the greatest worker ever. If you can get more over putting your hand to your ear than anybody else can doing flips and crazy moves, that says you're a better worker. Now, he might not be a better WRESTLER than alot of guys, but dont get it twisted. Hogan was an amazing worker. Dude could work a crowd of 65,000 people with a facial expression.

Edited by The Beltster

Guest Matt Black
No, you'd be wrong. As usual a person who is under the misinformed (read: wrong) impression that the amount of moves you do in a match = the quality 'worker' you are. Moves doesnt have jack to do with being a worker. Hogan was the greatest worker ever. If you can get more over putting your hand to your ear than anybody else can doing flips and crazy moves, that says you're a better worker. Now, he might not be a better WRESTLER than alot of guys, but dont get it twisted. Hogan was an amazing worker. Dude could work a crowd of 65,000 people with a facial expression.

As I just said, point taken.

Actually I'm guilty of being unclear as to the definition of a particular word in pro-wrestling terminology, in as much as mistaking the broader meaning of worker in encompassing more than proficiency at executing impressive moves and including capacity to make use of psychology as well.

So that's clear now, worker takes into account all elements of ringcraft, lesson learned.

Edited by Matt Black

Guest The Beltster
To be fair to Hogan, he was a vastly underrated wrestler too. Later in his career he became lazy as hell and wasn't really interested, but in his early WWF run he was decent and on occasion he had wicked matches with alot of different guys. In Japan he showed he could really wrestle a more technical style too. Hogan wasn't as shit as many people might want you to believe.

Guest Matt Black
To be fair to Hogan, he was a vastly underrated wrestler too. Later in his career he became lazy as hell and wasn't really interested, but in his early WWF run he was decent and on occasion he had wicked matches with alot of different guys. In Japan he showed he could really wrestle a more technical style too. Hogan wasn't as shit as many people might want you to believe.

No more whippings please...hung over from GOT season finale last night...you win.

Guest Matt Black
[video=youtube;UdtSp8LTxU0]

[video=youtube;u8khKSMBrPc]

How flabby were that guys thighs...I mean really?

Guest Ciaran The King

I have read that his Japan run was well received by all

Curt Hawkins comments on his release, courtesy of PWTorch.com:

Curt Hawkins, who was released by WWE last Thursday, says he felt relieved when he was informed that WWE was letting him go.

"It was expected to an extent. Really I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders," Hawkins said on the Shining Wizards podcast.

"They weren’t using me and I was just living this life of sitting and waiting around and not able to commit to things in my real life. Like if I wanted to go a wedding, I never know if they (WWE) are going to come calling. It was kind of annoying, to be honest with you."

Hawkins added that he's looking forward to returning to the independent wrestling scene.

"Anyone that knows me knows that I’m just crazy about wrestling, and I’ve had my pulse on the indy scene and it’s something I’ve been dying to dive into and now I finally can," Hawkins said.

I know I'm a bit late on commenting on these releases. I've known about them since they happened, I'm just a procrastinator.

In reference to the Hawkins interview above, if I was Hawkins, I would be relieved too. They haven't used Hawkins for much more than a jobber since they split him and Zack Ryder up. I also enjoyed Hawkins' tweet to Mark Henry on the day Hawkins got released. I can't post it here, but it's worth a read.

For the most part, these releases were a long time coming and the fact that guys like JTG, Hawkins, Yoshi, Brodus, and Camacho were employed as long as they were is a mystery that even Sherlock Holmes (the actual guy, not Damien Sandow) could not solve. As far as Aksana goes, she's never really been of any use and definitely falls under the "dead weight" category.

Evan Bourne's release was probably a relief to Bourne, I imagine. Wasn't he cleared to compete more than a year ago? In any case, Bourne is one of those guys who never really seemed to get a fair shot in WWE. Whether it was suspensions or injuries, Bourne never stayed active long and that's a shame as he seems to have some legitimate talent.

I'm kind of surprised by them letting Theodore Long go. As long as he's been with WWE and in the business overall seemed like they would keep him around in some capacity. I legitimately expected Long to be inducted to the Hall of Fame at some point. I thought he would be one of those guys who would have lifetime employment with WWE.

Drew McIntyre was the release I was most disappointed about. I've always been a fan of McIntyre's and it just seemed like WWE was wasting his potential. Maybe it's just me, but I always saw McIntyre as being too good for the 3MB group. They seemed to have a lot of confidence in McIntyre early on, but they gave up on him pretty quickly.

As far as Jinder Mahal goes, I've only grown to hate him more over time. He didn't have charisma, he didn't have in-ring ability, he didn't have mic skills. He was a bore to watch and I don't recall a time where he was ever over.

Was Marc Harris the referee who kept screwing up matches and JBL tore into him on commentary? If so, then good riddance.