Music Club XI: Sprints and Marathons

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sprint:

Without Wings - Corrosion of Conformity

[video=youtube;5SrQecls4kk]

A fair few of my sprint choices were instrumentals but I thought I'd go for one that people may not have heard before. this track was the reason I decided I wanted to learn to play guitar. I know instrumentals tend to go down like lead balloons but I really do love this track so f*ck it...

Marathon:

Check the Meaning - Richard Ashcroft

[video=youtube;JD71CDao4I0]

I'd forgotten that the Album version of this song was so much longer than the radio/video edit. I think you could take this as "preachy" if the minds take you but I tend to feel it's more about being chilled out, being at one with stuff.

Guest Boyo

Yeah I quite liked this. The kind of stuff I like to listen to in my big cans when I go to bed. Ironically, for a short track, I kept thinking this could be the much longer track. It had that feel. 6/10

Richard Ashcroft - Check The Meaning

I'm an Ashcroft fan, kinda. Insomuch that I buy his albums but only really like about 25% of the stuff he makes. This I do like though. 7/10

Cheers!

ODB - The Stomp

Toe tappingly good. I sometimes forget how much I like ODBs voice. Short and sweet, but then that's how I like my rap TBH. 6/10

Steezy Ant - Heavenz Fallen

Started promisingly, but the change in pace before the 20 second mark felt very clumsy. The voice is... so boring. Oh very sweary stuff time, this voice is sub par. But not utterly horrid. I don't know whats happening anymore. Oh god, somebody stop the 'Demons in my mind' guy, that voice is making me want to break my laptop in order to try to feel emotion rather than the tedium I currently feel. Oh God, if this had stopped before 3 minutes it would have scored a 2 or 3. As it is this is a 1/10.

OK, not much to say really. I like this quite a bit, chilled and mellow. I could have this on in the background while I worked or just relaxed in my room. Good choice indeed. 8/10

I do like some Ashcroft, he always looks smug in his videos but I love the voice. Yeah this isn't a bad song at all, I prefer the sprint you chose mind. 7/10

Omega

Always thought the CoC were on the verge of "breaking through" into the major leagues, but just couldn't quite get that last oomph to put them over the top. Damn shame. Pepper is such a laid back guy, doubt it even phases him. This is nice. It's chilled, and laid back and just screams "late at night with a brandy goblet". Nice.

8/10

Very similar picked acoustic start to the previous track; Gotta say I'm not a fan of Ashcroft - it's not that I actively hate him, I just find him like a blander version of Morrisey. And that's bland. This is quite jolly in it's simplicity though. Has that Ashcroft orchestral/epic kinda vibe to it. It's fine.

7/10

OK! Sorry for double posting, but it is what it is. My picks:

Sprint:

[video=youtube_share;UjMAldH41gA]

The Supersuckers - Dead Meat.

The finest song about pro wrestling by the greatest rock n' roll band in the world (self proclaimed)

Marathon:

[video=youtube;SFLVSxc8nVA]

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Maiden at their most pompous, and synthtastic, but still with a killer riff and vocal hook. Vastly overlooked album.

Oh sh*t, I know I'm not in this, but SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON, MOTHERFUDGERS!!

TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNE!! :lol

I've already played it twice, and now I'm headbanging in my kitchen while typing this and listening to it for the third time.

Guest Beefhead

ODB - The Stomp

Love ODB. Love this track! 9/10

Yeah I couldn't listen to all of this the first time I tried. Made it the second time but something about this cut made my head hurt. 1/10 sorry man, the ODB track was tight though!

Super suckers-dead meat

I think this track came up in another club.i liked it then, like it now. 8/10

Iron Maiden- Seventh son

An absolute epic of a track. Love everything about this one. Easily one of my favorite Iron Maiden tunes 10/10

The Supersuckers - Dead Meat.

I didn't really like it to be honest, something about the singers voice was really off putting for me and the fact that there was only one verse repeated 3 times didn't help. I think I've heard a couple of supersuckes tracks before and didn't like those either. 3/10

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Oh God, I wasn't overly keen on this one either to be brutally honest. I'm not a massive IM fan particularly, I liked Fear of the Dark as an album possibly because it felt more stripped back and contemporary but there's a lot of Maiden's back catalogue that leaves me pretty cold because it feels like a lot of chugging bas riff and not much guitar over the top which this song had in abundance. The Chorus was catchy though and the solos were fun so 6/10

Guest Beefhead
You didn't review mine bitch! :P

I skipped your cause I figured they were shit.

Nah, somehow skipped right over them. On the app you don't see the videos just text until you click the post so must have scrolled right past. I'll give a listen now.

Guest Beefhead

Omega

Yeah I quite liked this. Never even heard of these guys. Is this what to expect if I seek out more or is this a change of pace kinda track.

8/10

Somebody said this was bland and I'll agree it was. I did make it all the way to the end, and felt like I would probably listen to more of this guys music. Assuming it's all shorter anyways.

7/10

Why? Because I'm mutherf*cking Maxximus and I set examples, that's why!

ShaolinHandJibber

Ol' Dirty Bastard - The Stomp

This is why I love ODB. It's simple, innovative and catchy. 8/10

I might have liked this without the chorus and if it wasn't so brutally long. A few of the MCs were pretty good. Others were terrible. Seriously that chorus made me want to choke kittens. Maybe that was the point, I dunno. 4/10

ShutUpMeg

Corrosion of Conformity- Without Wings

I've been a Corrosion of Conformity fan for years and I consider them one of the innovators of sludge. This is fantastic. I don't even mind no Pepper vocals. 9/10

Richard Ashcroft - Check The Meaning

Don't think I know who this is. Should be interesting... Oh the Verve guy. Okay.

Wow! I really like the vocals and big, almost orchestral feel to it. That chorus is lovely and smooth. I always go into new things thinking I won't like them that way when I do it's a nice little surprise and this track embodies that perfectly. Really nice pacing too. It didn't feel like an eight minute song at all. Cheers for the introduction to this, 'Megaman. 8/10

Innovator

Supersuckers - Dead Meat

That goddamn guitar riff! I've heard this before many times and it's nasty is the best possible way. Makes me want to piledrive bitches; both metaphorically and literally. 8/10

Iron Maiden-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

....Annnnnnnd my day just got epic. What else can be said but this is one of the greatest metal songs of the 80's if not all time. Also, like dsr, I listened to this a few times. 10/10

Really? That's it, guys? Who's slacking here so I can beat that ass? C'mon, I'm not even entered and I reviewed everything(I also didn't check the OP so forgive me if everyone's caught up)

Also, Mookie, is it cool if I get a turn? I'm good to go whenever.

Supersuckers - Dead Meat

I kiiiiiinda liked this I guess. Nice riffage going on and had a good punchy tempo. Enjoyed it, but don't really want to hear it again. 5/10

Iron Maiden -Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Iron Maiden are a band I feel I should like, but have seemed to completely pass me by in life. After hearing this, I'm not sorry I missed them. Didn't really enjoy this that much, although the guitars were pretty decent. Just wanted the guy to shut up if I'm honest. 4/10

Cheers!

Sprint:

Best Coast - "Boyfriend"

[video=youtube;oKFpsKtvJaE]

I really like this song, and I'm glad it just about makes the cut. Would have preferred "Tick" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs but, for reasons unknown, the internet forbade it. Nothing I could do would make the video link!? Anyway, Best Coast are a sugary sweet little favourite of mine, and I hope you enjoy.

Marathon:

Propellerheads: "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

[video=youtube;7O1_0hikl-A]

Epic sh*thottedness from 90's mavericks, the Propellerheads, who came from nowhere, made one of the most phenomenal albums you've ever heard, and then disappeared. Their take on the James Bond theme is staggering.

Cheers!

Edited by Boyo

Sprint:

Best Coast - "Boyfriend"

I heard this on Zane Lowe's show on Radio 1 once and I really liked then and I still really like it now. There's a weird sort of surfer meets northern brit pop vibe in the guitar and I adore the backing vocals. Ironically I think it could have been even shorter that it was and have been just as punchy and great. 8/10

Marathon:

Propellerheads: "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

I didn't get this one. it only got interesting for me after about 7 minutes in so really it could have been a 3 minute track and been more enjoyable.I'm just not a fan I guess. 3/10