Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club XI: Sprints and Marathons

The Supersuckers - Dead Meat

The intro has a feel of Metallica to it. Not bad, a bit heavier than I normally like but it works anyway. The music is better than the vocals, but I'm not put off by the voice. 8/10

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

I do like me some prog rock, and this song is the closest Iron Maiden came to being a full prog rock band. I love it. :lol 9/10

Best Coast - "Boyfriend"

This is an alternate world Rialto where the singer is a woman. And that's no criticism. I really like this, in fact I think I'll be looking for some more of their stuff. I like the slightly dirty, unpolished sound combined with Britpop guitars. 10/10

Propellerheads: "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

Wow, been an age since I heard this song - or the Propellerheads in general. Im not a huge fan but its listenable, much like Megz said, it could have been shorter and would have been better for it. But still a 6/10

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corrosion of Conformity - Without Wings

This is right down my aisle but it's bugging me that I've heard a slightly similar song and I don't know where. C.O.C. is another band where I know them but know nothing of what they do.

9/10

Richard Ashcroft - Check The Meaning

It really did not feel like an eight minute track but I feel it would have made a good track to fit in nicely at the five minute mark, but hey there is a radio edit out there. The Verve wasn't a band I really liked at all but I can get past this.

5/10

Supersuckers - Dead Meat

Another band I need to get round too, ever since they recorded some tracks with Ed Vedder. However this song doesn't quite do it for me. I liked the riff but the vocals are a bit naff.

4/10

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Unlike Megz, I like some chugging, not too much though and this song is alright I guess. Then at 7 minutes that solo just made my ears tingle a little. Iron Maiden aren't my thing, pretty much anything that came out of that genre isn't my thing though but I'm OK with this song but won't really actively search to listen again.

6/10

Best Coast - Boyfriend

I admit, I thought it was gonna be one of them songs. Title's called Boyfriend so it must be lumped into the pop-punk box. How wrong I was. It's exactly how Megz and Paul described it, it feels like a sweet adorable song. Might check them out.

9/10

Propellerheads - On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Yeah it should have been much more shorter. I'm not interested in gadget agent like songs that are pumped up, so my brain turned off in the first five minutes. The second half was a bit better though.

3/10

Best Coast seem to have struck a chord or two here, pun not intended, and that's pleasing. That song "Boyfriend" is the first track off the first album, and it continues much in the same vain for the next 30 minutes or so. Brilliant album. Full of the lo-fi production.

The album has that yellow cover with the cat on, which is the image in the vid I posted.

They have a second album with a black n white album cover. Same kind of songs but this time the production is crisp n clean.

Cheers!

Maxx, you can have your go if you like, just have to review Boyo's picks first.

Come on guys, let's get this back on track and get your reviews and picks in!

Edited by Shaun2J

Bullet Boyos

Best Coast - Boyfriend

This kinda reminds me of the Pixies/Sonic Youth but without the angst and regret. I didn't think I would like this at all but I gotta say it is pretty catchy and thankfully not long enough to be annoying. While I probably wouldn't listen to this again, I didn't hate it at all. It was nice and Innooffensive. Also the singer has a lovely voice. 7/10

PropellerHeads - On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Well that volume pedal(or whatever) intro was annoying. Really disappointed that it took two minutes for the hook to kick in because it's a really nice beat. Yeah no, I don't like this at all. It's really pretentious and that constant guitar with the wah got on my nerves fast. I don't ever need to hear this again. 3/10

My turn!

Sprint -

Allegaeon(AKA AlleGAYon or The Gay On :lol) - "The Ballad Ov Pluto"

[video=youtube;s6j8ibQ0bVs]

Marathon -

Man, did I go through a bunch of editing of this post. I had about seven or eight different songs I was gonna use before I settled on this one. It's totally NSFW

Ministry - So What [89-90 "In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up (Live)]"

[video=youtube;_TjzdbNwTCY]

Goddamn I wish I could have been at that show. I didn't see Ministry live until years later and while they were amazing, Chris Connelly wasn't there to do vocals for this song. That show was the first time in my life I thought I was gonna be murdered with sound.

Ok heres mine. Im afraid my first is a couple of seconds too long. I hope you'll forgive that.

NSFW

Violent Delight - I Wish I Was A Girl

This makes me chuckle, always did.

[video=youtube;0-Ehsx5-dq0]

Suede - Stay Together

Excuse the crappy video, it was the best I could find. I love this song, hard! IIRC Mr Hancock isn't a Suede fan...

[video=youtube;BTEEVRL9OZo]

Lols! I remember this song coming out back in the day and thought it was pretty catchy at the time, that's prob ably the first uncensored version I've ever heard. For the slight silliness of the lyrics I really liked this at the time and still like it now. 8/10

Suede - Stay Together

I'm a bit meh on Suede, there are a couple of tracks I think are good and then the rest I don't really care for. this is a meh one for me, again it could be 5 minutes shorter and be fine, it just drags on as they explore every genre possible for the same 4 chords. I don't hate it, I don't love it. It's margarine. 5/10

Allegaeon(AKA AlleGAYon or The Gay On ) - "The Ballad Ov Pluto"

Well, it was quick. The sentiment was amusing but.... well I like the music club because I get to listen to other bands and what they are about and maybe get into them. I can;t do that with this track so I'm left a little disappointed. 3/10

Marathon -

Ministry - So What

I liked it, I liked the first 4 minutes of it. Then it didn't change and I got bored. So i'm happy I listened to it but I wouldn't listen again particularly. 6/10

Allegaeon - The Ballad Ov Pluto

Sorry Maxx, didn't get much out of this. Very short songs sometimes amuse me but this looked like more of a teaser, which it probably is.

2/10

Ministry - So What (Live)

I went to listen to the studio track to get a first impression before listening to the live version. I haven't heard much from Ministry, which is quite weird cause I'd always try and search bands from the 80's/90's and Ministry was one that would hang around with the acts from the earlier Lollapalooza's (1992 was the shit, I'm telling you.). Anyway this track is the beast and that stage setting!

8/10

Nice sprint, although not my cup of tea I giggled a little. This would fit perfectly for a gimmick on the Indy scene.

6/10

Suede - Stay Together

I'm a bit indifferent on this, given the right day which happens to be today I'd like it but I'd skip it the next day. That said, I thought the lyrics were also a bit of a hit or miss. The music did it for me I guess, so there's that.

5/10

Just sent a PM to everyone just to take notice that this music club is wrapping up in a few days. So get your reviews and picks in!

Also Paul, your PM box is full. :greets4:

Edited by Shaun2J

Allegaeon(AKA AlleGAYon or The Gay On ) - "The Ballad Ov Pluto"

I.. what? 1/10

The guitars remind me of a Manics song (that came out after this). In fact this track, other than length, could have come straight off of The Holy Bible album. Vocals are inconsistent for me, but not too bad for how I normally deal with Maxx's tracks. :lol 5/10

Yeah Megz, I prefer the shorter version of Stay together. :lol

PM Box empty.

Sorry, guise, that Allegaeon(it's really "Ah-legion") track is an actual song, not a teaser. It's not on the album though. For a little taste of what they really sound like try this.

[video=youtube;hVGcwoqgbyE]

Melodic death metal + The Gay On + Science = AMAZING!

PaulStars

This is childish, immature, degrading, and just flat out disgusting. 8/10

Suede - Stay Together

Sorry, man, just not feeling this at all. Now I know how you feel listening to my picks. I wanted to tap out halfway through but stuck with it in the name of the club. The vocals got on my nerves something awful. The music itself wasn't too bad. It would have actually been pretty nice if it wasn't so little all over the place. Maybe I just don't get it. What the hell was with the whale mating call during the last 30 seconds? More of that and I would have scored this higher. :lol 4/10

I think Brett Anderson's vocal style is so particular that you either like it or loathe it. Bernard Butler is actually a really good guitarist but I get the feeling in this song he was taking out all his frustrations of being stuck playing the Suede style and just went on and on. To give some perspective give these a listen:

[video=youtube;a0SuX1IvJys]

[video=youtube;fxtIwh1Nz0k]

Without Wings - Corrosion of Conformity - An acoustic guitar instrumental...my main problem with this style of music is the noise of the guitar pick (I think that's what it's called?) or whatever it is that makes a squeaky sound between each note, and it distracts me immensely. I'm fine with acoustic guitar stuff when it's combined with other things, but by itself I'm not a big fan of it. Still, this one gets extra points for the violin. 4/10.

Check the Meaning - Richard Ashcroft - Something about this sounds oddly familiar, which is weird because I know for a fact that I've never heard it before. Anyway, the music is fine, if I was reviewing this even a year ago I would probably have dismissed it entirely, but I can appreciate it now. As for the lyrics, not a huge fan, but they don't annoy me or anything. I would have liked this far more as an instrumental track I think. It is a bit long though. 5/10.

The Supersuckers - Dead Meat - Not sure on this one. I didn't hate it, but it really didn't do anything for me music wise or lyrics wise. Not a fan of this one, sorry. 3/10.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - Can't say I'm a fan of this. The music didn't do anything for me, and I can't say I'm a fan of the vocals either. Plus it feels overlong, I had honestly had enough of it at around the 4-minute mark. Didn't really like this. 2/10.

Best Coast - Boyfriend - The lyrics of this annoyed me almost immediately. "I WISH HE WAS MY BOOOOOOYYYYYYFRIEEEENDDDD!!!!" Blargh. The music didn't annoy me, but the lyrics did....a lot. 1/10.

Propellerheads - On Her Majesty's Secret Service - I actually quite liked this, it could have been shorter though, or maybe even split into two separate songs. I like how instead of repeating itself for 9 minutes, it changes constantly while maintaining its original form, at least for the most part. The last few minutes weren't as good as the first 6 though. I can't really say much more than that. 5/10.

Allegaeon - The Ballad Ov Pluto - Does this even count as a song? :lol How can I possibly rate this? Far too short. ?/10.

Ministry - So What (Live) - Not bad, could have been shorter though. The big gaps between verses didn't help, that combined with the length makes it sound more repetitive. Still, it's okay. 5/10.

Violent Delight - I Wish I Was A Girl - What the hell was that?!? 7/10.

Suede - Stay Together - Voice sounds like blargh. Blargh I say! Music does nothing for me at all, voice is blargh. Plus it's too long for what it is. 1/10.

my main problem with this style of music is the noise of the guitar pick (I think that's what it's called?) or whatever it is that makes a squeaky sound between each note

It's not the pick, it's the sound of your fretting hand sliding across the strings. When played on an acoustic it's near impossible not to make that sound. I love it myself.

you can reduced it somewhat by oiling your strings and how the mic is set up on the guitar makes a difference too. It;s actually something I love hearing, it reminds me that a person is playing the song. It's an honest sound.

Welsh slang for a Young Adult Male

Best Coast - "Boyfriend"

JINGLY JANGLY JINGLY JANGLY - oh wait, can't do that any more, dagnabbit. Jangly guitars. Harmonies, rapid delivery of vocals. It's a bit Cast-ish which I kinda dig. I approve.

7/10

Propellerheads: "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

I never hopped on the Propellorheads bandwagon. I think this is the first time I've really listened to anything they've done knowingly. This is the kind of thing that I'd wager five whole pounds sterling on Matt Mira and Matt Gourlay loving on their "James Bonding" podcast. It's OK. Can't say I hate it, can't say I love it.

6/10

Obama's Next Door Neighbour

Allegaeon - "The Ballad Ov Pluto"

RAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! HURR!

2/10

Al F'N Jourgensen YEAH! I likes this, I likes this so much, I want to buy golf clothes, wear them, tell this song "hey, you're alright" and dance to it on the 18th green.

10/10

Paul (if that really is his real name)

Too long. Has to be 2.30 or under. It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You lose! Good day, sir! You get nothing, you lose. GOOD DAY, SIR! (I kid, I dig this really)

7/10

I SAID GOOD DAY!

Suede - Stay Together

"Hoooh witturns yoooo uuuuu-uh-un! UUUUUU-UH-UN!" That's about as much of Brett Anderson's voice I can really stomach in one sitting. I like Butler's guitar playing, but Jeebus, that voice. It would make van Gogh cut his other ear off. Not my bag, sorry.

1/10