Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club XI: Sprints and Marathons

Guest Beefhead

Best Coast - Boyfriend - Yeah I didnt like this one much. Not sure Id listen to anything else by Best Coast. 3/10

Propellerheads - On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Others hit my main points on this one pretty well. seems like more than one song, and first half is better than second half. 6/10

Allegaeon - What. The Actual. F! 2/10

Ministry - So What (Live) - Its Ministry, Its live, Its Epic 9/10

Violent Delight - I Wish I Was A Girl - Hmmm 3/10

Suede - Stay Together - I dont like the vocals of this at all. The music is pretty good though. Wont listen again but made it all the way through5/10

Neil Young- The needle and the damage done.

[video=youtube_share;fi2XCsPKlY8]http://youtu.be/fi2XCsPKlY8

The Doors- The End

[video=youtube_share;LahtWvVn1Ro]

Edit: After you press play on the end scroll up and watch Innos Avatar dance to it. I am

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Def Benny

I don't need to listen to either of these songs since I'm so familiar with them, but I'll do it anyway(I really ended up regretting listening to the Doors. I should have skipped it. It would have had a much higher score)

Neil Young- The Needle and The Damage Done

One of my all time favorite Neil Young songs. Not that I have many, but still... Great vocals, nice little blusy guitar line. Simple but good. 7/10

The Doors- The End

As far as the Doors go, this song is over rated with me. Maybe because I've heard it so many goddamn times. This is one of those songs like Stairway to Heaven and Hotel California. When they come on, I'm like, Oh Jesus, here we go... *sigh* Everyone thinks they're so great because they're long and ethereal but they're honestly boring. Sure they were innovative and maybe even profound during their time but now it's just one of those songs I just want to end. I feel the same way about Pink Floyd and so many of my friends give me crap because I don't care for Floyd and think they're overrated. "WHAT?! YOU DON'T LIKE PINK FLOYD? YOUR TASTE IN MUSIC SUCKS!" Yeah so what, I'm not trying to impress anyone with my taste in music.

You know what, I was gonna give this a decent score just based on it's own merit in being one of the most recognizable classic rock songs of all time, but it got me on a rant and kinda made me mad so I'll base my score on how it made me feel. Nothing against you, Benny, but f*ck the Doors right now... and Pink Floyd... and Led Zeppelin... and The Eagles... ESPECIALLY the f*cking Eagles.... 2/10

Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done

Same as Maxx, hands down one of my favourite Neil Young songs and one of my first I tried to learn on guitar. It's so chilling and to the point, nice pick Def.

9/10

The Doors - The End

I too know this too well but won't go on a Maxx rant. :D This is a song that I don't over expose with myself but will listen to occasionally. I love it though and the live version from the Hollywood Bowl is some insane stuff from Jim Morrison. It's an awesome ride towards the end.

9/10

So let's get on with my picks.

Sprint:

HBS, otherwise known as Ben Shepherd of Soundgarden fame came out with a camp fire like solo album last year. Check it out.

HBS - Koda

[video=youtube;uhBGcVFp4ZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBGcVFp4ZE

Marathon:

Had a hard time picking this one but this song nicked it.

Jane's Addiction - Three Days

[video=youtube;CD8UeWHGl-A]

Neil Young- The Needle and The Damage Done

Oh yeah, love this... love.....this. Neil Young can be a 50/50 thing for me but when he does something good I generally f*cking lvoe it, like this. Wish it was longer. 9/10

The Doors- The End

Too many drugs. The Doors feel like a band that could have been bigger and better if they were around now, the horrible 60's clichés are a bit cheesy for something so experimental. Like, these guys would be like The White Stripes or something like that, not quite mainstream but catchy and listenable I like the first 3 minutes of this song, the rest is just high people riffing endlessly. 6/10

HBS - Koda

The singers voice really reminded me of someone, but I can; place it. The song itself had a slight sludgy edge to it that put me in mind of Corrosion of Conformity actually. Damn, I wish I could think of what song this reminds me of... oh, it's Soundgarden! but maybe not as good though, :) 5/10

On a bit of a hiding to nothing because I hate Perry Farrell's voice. To be honest it just felt like someone had 3 songs with great verses and no real chorus so stuck them one afetr the other. plus a 2 minute guitar solo is just self ****y-ness. 2/10

MyManMookie

HBS - Koda

I really like this. It's swampy and sludgy; two of my favorite things. You'd think the 'frog chirping' would get annoying, but it didn't bother me at all and really set the tone. The bass and drums sound really good as do the vocals and I love love love the way it just cut off at the end. Great pick. If the rest of the album is like this, it's a must get for me. Frog chirping for the win! 7/10

Another song I'm super familiar with that I didn't need to listen to but did anyway as it's one of my favorite Jane's Addiction songs and the very first bass line I ever learned how to play. Perry's vox never sounded so good and the official video for this is pretty great too. Damn, this really takes me back. I love the tempo and time signature change when the drums kick in and give this song a much deeper dimension. It even shows how good a guitarist Dave Navaaro can be when he tries. This is an all around fantastic song and the fact that it's over 10 minutes doesn't bother me at all. The lyrics are great too. For me at least, this song is a classic. Because it's not Stop! which is easily the best song on the album I'll give this a... 8/10

Edited by Maxximus

Neil Young- The Needle and The Damage Done - Not a fan of this at all, sorry. 1/10.

The Doors- The End - This didn't do much for me at all, it feels too slow paced and the music doesn't do anything for me. The vocals feel too spread apart from each other, and they don't do anything for me anyway. This dragged on too long, I have nothing against long songs and there are even long songs that are very repetitive that I like, but this just feels like it drags on to me. If it was shorter I would probably still not like it, but it wouldn't bug me as much. Sorry. 1/10.

HBS - Koda - This sounds like it was recorded by someone riding a lillypad in the middle of a frog infested swamp. :lol The music is fine, the frog noises and whatever the hell else in the background added to it. Not really a fan of the vocals though. This is another one of those things that I think I'd like a lot more as an instrumental. 4/10.

Jane's Addiction - Three Days - I actually quite liked the first few minutes of this, but then it morphed into a different song which I didn't like as much. And after a few minutes it morphs yet again into a different song. This sounds like 3 songs squished together, which I guess could make sense since it's called 'Three Days', but I still feel that this would be better as 3 separate songs, I wasn't really a fan of the middle part, but the rest is okay I guess. It just sounds too all over the place, so it loses points for that. 3.5/10.

Neil Young- The needle and the damage done.

:wub This is beautiful. Love it hard. 10/10

The Doors- The End

Always been a fan of this song, but it suffers a bit by being out of its time now I think - other bands have done similar and better. The vocals and the lyrics are great, but the music in places feels too self indulgent. Still its nit picking, this is a solid 7/10

HBS - Koda

Eh, its OK. Feels unfinished, like more was intended but they thought 'f*ck it' and just settled. Quickly started to get annoying, they stopped it just a few seconds late for me. 5/10

Not a fan of his voice in the first 'act', but it suits the later bits more. This one is a non entity for me, and I think as my first experience of the band its not been a great one. Reminds me of some of Marillions worse prog rock moments. 4/10

Guest Beefhead

HBS - Koda

Like Paul said feels unfinished. Its like a unreleased, unfinished song, from a deceased artist released for a cash grab. They definitely needed to polish and fine tune this one 5/10

I love Dave Navarro his work in Jane's addiction makes me forgive him for almost killing RHCP. This song is a good one. There are a lot of things I liked about it. The intro is perfect, though Perry's vocals at the start are pretty rough. The music builds nicely and its easy to pick out the "acts" so to speak in the song. Maybe instead of different acts these should have been different songs. I don't know but I liked it. Quite a bit! 8/10

tête de bœuf

Neil Young - Needle and The Damage Done

I love this track, I still go through phases of listening to nothing but Neil Young (Like A Hurricane is my all time favourite track of his) and this is superb. Young is as good as anyone when he's not trying to "mess with the man"

9/10

The Doors - The End

I must be honest. I despise The Doors. Over rated, style over substance, you name it, I think it of them. The End is far from their worst, but it's no Riders On The Storm either.

3/10

Shaun4k

HBS - Koda

Very swampy, very sludgy, like a cajun Screaming Trees. Think I might check more of this band out. I dig this a lot

8/10

Jane's are a very subjective band, you love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em, but only in short phases - I listen to loads, or I listen to none. This is one of my faves, didn't need to listen to it, but I did because it's awesome.

9/10