Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  12 members  ·  Free

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy XII

Guest Bluestiger99

Guest Seabass

FFXII - Awesome, Awesome, Awesome... This could very well eclipse, let alone the awesomeness of FF7 and FF10. Yes it has a few faults - Gambit customising and spending your LP (license points) wisely can be a pain and there's the occasional pop-up, but the strengths pretty much make you forgive that, plus it shows you have to use your noggin a bit more this time.

The battle system is pure real time and there's almost no delay from start to finish (aside from when you beat mid-boss battles, your characters celebrate...weird.) The interesting thing is that it feels like your playing an offline version of a online game. I wouldn't be surprised to see if this is Square's way of testing a improved version of FFXI: Online.

One of the games biggest strengths is the dialouge and the characters. You feel that the level grinding (it comes earlier then usual thanks to the LP system) and toughness start to wear you down. Then you come accross a cut scene and you feel its been worth it. An FF story has never been this engaging since FF7 (yes even FF10's plot was a bit lacking) and its thanks to the characters. Fran is just a hottie and Baltheir will even have men swooning over his cool voice and charming yet baddass attitude (Hell he's the Han Solo of FF.) The others do just as good enough job to make you care about them. Even leader Vahn, who could be mistaken for being Tidus younger cousin has enough character flaws that you don't find him annoying.

One cool thing is that isnetad of having for you to wait for hours (in double figures,) you get access to some side-quests pretty quickly and the LP system - while not as fun as the Grid system - is a fantastic way of building up your characters. yes it's overwhelming at times, but it's means you can costimise your characters the way you want to.

I may play this further and start to get bogged down or find another fault. But for now, I'm loving it so much. Square's last hurrah to the PS2 is truly fitting.

The world may be holding its breath for FFXIII (and those who are holding their breath for an FF7 remake may be dying of oxygen starvation. But for now, they can get their kicks from FFXII ^_^

The crack cocaine of the RPG world just got purer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dpddave
just got the game and im only a couple of hours in.i would"nt be crazy on the combat system but other than that its been ok so far

Guest OiOiOi
I'm borrowing this from a friend and I'm about 8 odd hours in and I must say it is excellent! I was quite skeptical of the gambit system at first but it turns out I'm really enjoying it. The license/gambit system is easy the equal of the sphere grid/materia/junction systems, if not better. Good plot too so far, very absorbing.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kanenite

How's everyone getting on with this? I'm doing ok, it seems like a decent game but I can't sit and play for a long time like I could on previous ones. The License Grid is cool, a nice touch and the battles are great, beats the **** out of the random encounters which were really annoying.

I'd say i'm about half way through:

I've just beat Vinuskar in the Stilshrine of Miriam thingy. Such an easy battle!

Guest Twig
I finished it about a month and a half ago. About 200 hours of gameplay (I missed a load of the hunts).

Damn. I remember honing FF VII down to 40 hours playing it as "fast" as I could.

heh, that just wouldnt be possible on 12. Maybe down to 150ish, but not much less. You really need to do a lot of the side quests so you can build up. In fact I am going to go back to my last save and see if I can do all the extra quests.

Guest Twig
heh, that just wouldnt be possible on 12. Maybe down to 150ish, but not much less. You really need to do a lot of the side quests so you can build up. In fact I am going to go back to my last save and see if I can do all the extra quests.

Damn... I wish I had a PS2... or 3... or 1 for that matter.

Finished it yesterday in 65 hours. Best. Ending. Ever.

The only problem is that the combat system was so good, its going to make re-playing old FFs a difficulty. And rumour has it #13 is going back to the ol' turn based antics of yore.

Guest dpddave

i havent played it since i got back from hoildays...maybe il start back again over the weekend.

i was about 35hours in...

Finished it yesterday in 65 hours. Best. Ending. Ever.

The only problem is that the combat system was so good, its going to make re-playing old FFs a difficulty. And rumour has it #13 is going back to the ol' turn based antics of yore.

Hmmm I don't think it's going back to turn based but I think from what I heard they are re-thinking 12's combat system. The main change is the how the camera works I believe as in 12 at times was a problem.

I never had a problem with it. There was a target lock and the ability to move the camera in, out and around with the analogue stick....unlike Kingdom Hearts, man that was frustrating. Must be why I gave up after about 2 hours into it.

How the hell did you manage that?

I dont know, as Im surprised by the high times listed here. I didnt skip anything and I did at least a couple dozen hunts. :?

EDIT- Did anyone else think the end boss was a bit too easy? Jenova/Sephorith double bill was rock hard. Triple Vayne was a breeze.

Edited by Rog

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wolverine

I started a new game a few days ago. 'Tis going much better than last time. I'm at Raithwall's tomb, just beat the Demon Wall(s).

Did you guys just level up your three main characters or did you level up everyone in the party at the same rate? I've got a main party of Vaan/Ashe/Fran, who are 2-3 levels higher than everyone else. I'm wondering whether to bother levelling up the other three or not.

I started a new game a few days ago. 'Tis going much better than last time. I'm at Raithwall's tomb, just beat the Demon Wall(s).

Did you guys just level up your three main characters or did you level up everyone in the party at the same rate? I've got a main party of Vaan/Ashe/Fran, who are 2-3 levels higher than everyone else. I'm wondering whether to bother levelling up the other three or not.

When I cleared it my group, Vaan Ashe and Basch were all level 64, whilst the rest were 23-25. It depends on your strategy. I used my main three to physical attack ad then Id bring in my back up team to hit with Quickenings. But for the most part thats what they were, a backup team to quickly fill in untill the main group was replenished.

Guest Kanenite

I've got everyone at the same level. So far i'm at Mt. Whatever it's called and i'm lvl 30. I just feel it's easier to fall back on the other team if you die and can rely on them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kanenite
Finally finished it today. Really good game, not as good as other FF's i've played but better than FFX-2. Cool ending aswell, but I found the other battles pretty easy towards the end, maybe I levelled to much but I was only lvl 51 with my top 3, still that's a good thing.