The Book Club

What are you reading?

Guest Anime Otaku

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest big pau hoolinator
Next I am reading an analysis of the bible done by a Christian but examining it as an Athiest would as if it was fact and seeing how it being taken as fact has affected our society.

Guest The Joker

Stephen King - IT.

I brought it a year ago. But now Im starting to read it again, where I left off. Which isnt actually that far into it.

Guest Sparrow
Stephen King - IT.

I brought it a year ago. But now Im starting to read it again, where I left off. Which isnt actually that far into it.

Yeah I bought this ages ago, got really into it but then TWOstars and other stuff began to take over more and more. I really wanna get back into this. Hmm may take it to college to read during lunch.

Guest Dazoggsta
Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites and Bram Stocker's Dracula. I start off with Dracula and then when I get too scared I switch to Equal Rites!

1984 and another book I picked up today, bit of chick lit. 1984 is good, but quite a taxing read. I only read a few chapters at a time to digest it properly.

Guest Dazoggsta
Haha yeah me too. I struggle with classics though, always takes me a while to get into the language. Generally worth the effort though I reckon.

I've read a few Shakespeare (Othello, Anthony and Cleopatra, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth), Dickens (Hard Times for these times), Plath (The Bell Jar) and so on. Read a few plays aswell, including A streetcar named desire and Death of a salesman, maybe not classics but pretty imporant plays. Once I've finished 1984 I'm not sure what I'll move onto.

Guest Anime Otaku

If you are looking for a good book similar to 1984 I'd recommend 'A brave new world' by Aldous Huxley. Animal Farm is a must too and it has the advantage of being able to finish in about 2 days, though knowing the basics about Karl Marx and Soviet Russia under Stalin between the wars helps to get everything out of it. A Clockwork Orange is a great book too, and again very short.

If you want a longer read then Lord of the Flies is a good but hard read. One flew over the cuckoo's nest is a book I've been meaning to read for ages and a classic. Also, so you don't get too depressed after all those, anything by Terry Pratchett is worth reading, even his kids books 'Diggers. 'Truckers' and 'Wings' or 'Only you can save Mankind', 'Johnny and the dead' and 'Johnny and the bomb'

Edited by Anime Otaku

Guest Jimmy Redman
If you are looking for a good book similar to 1984 I'd recommend 'A brave new world' by Aldous Huxley.

Brave New World annoyed the crap out of me. Its great in bits, like the conversation between John and Mustafa for example. But the book as a whole just didnt do it for me. It was trying too hard to be allegorical and technical, rather than tell the story properly. I mean its great for themes and techniques for my English exam, but as a novel it fell flat for me.

In other news, I dont tend to read novels at all, and right now is no exception as I'm reading a couple of Elizabeth I biographies, by Christopher Haigh and Susan Bassnett.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Heartbreak and Triumph - The Shawn Michaels Story

Heh, thats here too, I had to go back to it to remember which year the whole Kilq was in the WWF :P

Guest dpddave
I love reading but haven't a clue about author's etc. so when i go in to Eason's or that and see thousand's of book's im like "fu*k that" how can ye pick one. So i just end up buying magazine's!!

Just finished Potter and am now onto the book of fabulous questions because my social skills need brushing up now the ladies seem to be taking an interest in me.