Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

What are you reading?

Guest Anime Otaku

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a few Shakespeare (Othello, Anthony and Cleopatra, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth), Dickens (Hard Times for these times), Plath (The Bell Jar) and so on. Read a few plays aswell, including A streetcar named desire and Death of a salesman, maybe not classics but pretty imporant plays. Once I've finished 1984 I'm not sure what I'll move onto.

Try A Handmaids Tale, a fantastic dystopian novel.

I finished reading 1984, and I can honestly say its a horrible piece of literature. Pretty much hated it from start to finish, and the ending made me feel pretty sick actually.

I have to disagree 100%, its the greatest thing I have ever read. But differing tastes and all that. Though saying its bad literature is wrong, its accepted as one of the best and most important English language bokes of the 20th centuary.

Which ending did you read as there are actually 2 different ones. :P

Guest Dazoggsta
I finished reading 1984, and I can honestly say its a horrible piece of literature. Pretty much hated it from start to finish, and the ending made me feel pretty sick actually.

What made you dislike it, I mean when you say it's a horrible piece of literature do you think it's badly written or dislike the subject matter or something else?

Which ending did you read as there are actually 2 different ones. :P

I didn't know that! I'll have to find them both now.

Guest Al Stevens
You've all going to look at me like i have two heads or no head now but whats the gist of this 1984? (none spoilers because if it sounds good i might have to go and get it)

I didn't know that! I'll have to find them both now.

There are 3 'main' versions of the book; the origional published version, a version printed with a 'happy' ending as people thought it was too depressing and then the version that Orwell actually wanted to be released.

Yes I have read al 3. :lol

Guest Dazoggsta
You've all going to look at me like i have two heads or no head now but whats the gist of this 1984? (none spoilers because if it sounds good i might have to go and get it)

Very basically it's about a totalitarian future society and one man's attempt to rebel against the restrictions placed on all aspects of his life, including thought.

Someone else will have to elaborate because I cant think how to phrase it. Or you could always have a look at the customer reviews on amazon.co.uk.

Definately worth the read. :)

There are 3 'main' versions of the book; the origional published version, a version printed with a 'happy' ending as people thought it was too depressing and then the version that Orwell actually wanted to be released.

Yes I have read al 3. :lol

Sweeet, finding them will be something to do when I get bored of uni work!

Guest Al Stevens
Very basically it's about a totalitarian future society and one man's attempt to rebel against the restrictions placed on all aspects of his life, including thought.

Someone else will have to elaborate because I cant think how to phrase it. Or you could always have a look at the customer reviews on amazon.co.uk.

Definately worth the read. :)

Wow that sounds really good actually, it sounds to me a bit like the film Equilibrium (which i loved)

Guest The Joker
I wonder if my Library card is still valid, I haven't used it in over 11 years :lol

Last time I used mine was when I was 4. So 13 years ago. They should just update you on their system. They did with me :xyx

I read the version where he actually gets released, talks to Julia, and then goes on to claim to love Big Brother.

I'm not saying is poorly written or anything, because the writing is excellent. The subject matter I found horrible, especially towards the end. An incredibly bleak book.

Guest Dazoggsta

Yes it is. Animal Farm is pretty bleak too, in some ways I found it worse that 1984.

To Adrian and Nemesis, I have 3 library cards, all used within the last year too :P

Edited by Dazoggsta

I don't have a library card. A new bookshop has opened in worcester, all books are brand new, many hardbacked, yet they aren't anymore than £3 each. Nothing really recent in there, but some decent looking stuff. I'm going to grab something new this week once I've finished "The Bitch Goddess notebook" which so far has been really good.

I'm not saying is poorly written or anything, because the writing is excellent. The subject matter I found horrible, especially towards the end. An incredibly bleak book.

Ahhh, my apologies. Fair enough then.

In the 'happy' ending

he refuses to acept the reality of 2+2=5 and, from what I remember, doesnt betray Julia. He is released from Minilove and meets up with Julia in teh cafe and the book ends with them holding hands and smiling

sucky or what! Ruins the point for me.

How the hell would that happen though? I thought the whole point of room 101 was to finally cure them and to make them accept Big Brothers version of reality. That ending sounds screwy compared to the whole philosophy of the book.

Exactly, obviously its not as simple as I made it out but I only read that version once about fifteen years ago so the details could be wrong, the only bit I am 100% on is him refusing to belive about 2+2. It just never worked for me.

Guest Anime Otaku
I read the version where he actually gets released, talks to Julia, and then goes on to claim to love Big Brother.

In that case ignore my earlier recommendations of Battle Royale, One flew over the Cuckoo's nest, A brave new world and Lord of the Flies.

Edited by Anime Otaku