Fan Clubs | beta

SmackDown vs. RAW 2009 - Details On WWE's New Videogame

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 is Official

This year's installment is chockfull of tag team action, DLC, and a whole lot more.

US, March 27, 2008 - It's been about four months since we had any substantial grappling news from THQ, but the Los Angeles County-based publisher put an end to that today: WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 is coming.

Although it won't be formally announced until tomorrow, THQ has confirmed with IGN that the latest installment in the storied wrestling franchise will be making its way to the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP, PlayStation 2 and mobile devices this fall while boasting a bevy of bells and whistles.

On the Xbox 360, PS3, PSP and PS2, the biggest change in the action will come with a strong focus on tag teams. For the first time ever, players will be able to team up for co-op storylines in the Road to WrestleMania mode and take advantage of an overhauled tag structure to earn attributes on their way to the top. Tag teams -- both in and out of Road to WrestleMania -- will utilize the same momentum meter, break opponents with double team finishers and make "hot tags" for the win. Also making its debut will be Create-A-Finisher, which allows fans to choose from more than 500 animations in their quest to build the ultimate move. Specifically on the 360 and PS3, fans can look for the debut of SVR downloadable content, although THQ is mum about what it might be.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 marks the franchise's second title on the Wii, and THQ looks to be building on the motion controls and interactivity of the first outing. The game promises more match types, more weapons and the debut of online gameplay, which will feature matches and rankings. Although the title will pack Road to WrestleMania like the aforementioned versions, the Wii copy of SVR '09 will be the only place to find interactive entrances and victory celebrations that range from posing on the ramp to slapping the taste out of a beaten opponent. Successfully get the crowd hyped on your way to the ring and you'll get an in-match bonus.

Seasoned players who pick up SVR '09 on the Nintendo DS will probably be in for more than a few surprises. Gone are the stylus-heavy controls of last year and in their place is a more traditional d-pad/grapple system gamers that have grown up with, although the stylus will still play some part in the action. Being developed by Tose, the folks behind Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, the DS version of SVR '09 will pack a season mode with an RPG approach. Players will interact with Superstars, upgrade their abilities and complete missions to become the champion. Create-A-Superstar will make its Nintendo handheld debut, there will be a larger roster of Superstars, and the title will pack a wealth of new match types.

"The ambitious cross-platform launch of WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 last year yielded tremendous growth for the franchise, as we delivered multiple gameplay experiences across seven platforms and greatly expanded our audience of WWE videogame fans," said Bob Aniello, senior vice president, worldwide marketing, THQ. "With dynamic new features and the extension of our gameplay experience through downloadable content, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 will bring more console, handheld and wireless gamers together to enjoy the virtual world of WWE."

Think that's all the news you'll get on this momentous day? It's not even close. First, let's confirm that Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Randy Orton, Mr. Kennedy, Undertaker and John Cena are all in the game. Second, why not click on over to our interview with THQ Creative Manager Cory Ledesma for nine pages of information about what Road to WrestleMania is all about, hints on the DLC and tons more. Then, go download the brand new trailer. Next, grab some screens from the gallery below.

Gallery of screenshots for Smackdown vs Raw 2009

After all that, you have our permission to fall into a SVR '09 coma until the fall.

Credit: IGN.com

Didn't know if there was a thread about this so thought would make one. I am hoping this one will be much better the the 2008 version which got old really fast, from what I read there aand seen in the images it is looking like an improvement

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of good stuff being mentioned in that interview. If they can pull it off, it should make up for 2008's poor performance.

I'm especially excited about the focus on tag-teams as I love tag-team wrestling but feel that it didn't feel right on the Smackdown/SvR games.

Create a finisher did they say?

If they pull it off I will die a happy man... although why a finisher? Why not moves and have them saved on the memory card for use in other move sets. Like say you don't like the animation on the Swinging Fisherman's Suplex and want to make it better.... why does that then have to be the finisher you use?

But either way that will make it worth buying for me alone as finally I can make the Shock Therapy and DSP in a game!

Plus if you can make double team finishers then you can make great moves like the Super Busaiku or The Touch the Sky...

Awesome.

Big damn yawninmy opinion, they are desperate to make money off the next roster update with a tweak to justify the pricetag!

Like 2008 it will be sold off for cheap after a month!

I honestly think 2008 was put out unfinished, and it does sound like they've listened to the feedback and started work on this one a lot earlier.

With the TNA game coming out (and to a lesser extent, Fire Pro in Europe), they will have some competition to deal with as well.

I know I'll buy it regardless, so I hope they can do what they say.

Guest MojoPogo
Im not buying it until i've read the review in Games tm and Edge this time. No way am i getting caught out in the headache inducing career mode again. Its the TNA game thats got my attention this year. And i already have Fire Pro to cover. It had really, really better be a step on this time. You know, even after all this time my favourite Smackdown game is Here Comes the Pain. That roster probably wont ever be matched in a WWE or TNA game.

AH... has your Fire Pro arrived yet?

If so have you made GA and given her the running elbow smash as a finisher seen as she is deadly with them?

Back onto SD v Raw.

I love the series and either go out of my way to get the game or (in the past) when I did not have the console it was on I would ensure I lent my friends console for a good.... ohh month or so to ensure I did all I could on it.

I still play '08 AND '07 on my PSP now and again even now and so I will be getting this one seen as the idea of making a great tag team and their moves and going onto to form a path together to the top is a big, big draw for me.

Will be interesting to see what the Wii version will be like this year as well.

Guest MojoPogo
AH... has your Fire Pro arrived yet?

If so have you made GA and given her the running elbow smash as a finisher seen as she is deadly with them?

Back onto SD v Raw.

I love the series and either go out of my way to get the game or (in the past) when I did not have the console it was on I would ensure I lent my friends console for a good.... ohh month or so to ensure I did all I could on it.

I still play '08 AND '07 on my PSP now and again even now and so I will be getting this one seen as the idea of making a great tag team and their moves and going onto to form a path together to the top is a big, big draw for me.

Will be interesting to see what the Wii version will be like this year as well.

Yeah, i've got it. Im sitting trying to decide what everyones finishers are going to be. I love it. I often stick it on, then watch an AI match to pick up tips. I had my first double KO in any wrestling game ever the other day...Ironically enough in a Nash v Hogan match.

Guest The Joker

Ive never been a fan of the Tag Team action in the games. Constantly performing the same finish to every Tag match in Season. Knockout your oppenent and having to run into the other and punching him off the ropes so you can get the Pin, all because your partner never responds quick enough to help secure the pinfall. But putting that aside I do enjoy it and Im glad they are trying to improve it, but I doubt anything amazing will come from it. If they focus on improving more of the gameplay then that will be good, but nothing will really take my interest and I cant see myself buying this game. I wasnt just let down by last years flop, I havent enjoyed playing on SmacDown! since HCTP.

One other thing that bothers me is the logo, its so boring to look at now. Every year its the same apart from the year. Cant they call it something else or at least change the look of it.

Guest Chriscare

The Co-op career and create a finisher is what i've been dying to see in a Smackdown game for years. I hope they really understand what wrestling fans want when they make a career mode, i don't understand how they can get it pretty much spot on with Smackdown 2, but so wrong with every other installment. I hope they bring back the superstar and legend challenges too, they really added a longer life to the game and surely don't take much effort to include.

But like Adrian says, the regular tag team matches need alot of improvement or there's really no point have a tag team career mode. They should get on old school tag team to help work on tag matches with them, because potentially they could be amazing fun.

Edited by Chriscare

Yeah, i've got it. Im sitting trying to decide what everyones finishers are going to be. I love it. I often stick it on, then watch an AI match to pick up tips. I had my first double KO in any wrestling game ever the other day...Ironically enough in a Nash v Hogan match.

When you create me (if you do), give me a stupidly ridiculous finiser wiht lots of flips in. :lol

IGN has two new videos up of actual Tag Team game play and Create-a-finisher.
Can you post a link please?

EDIT - Here are the videos on YouTube.

Tagging

Create-a-finisher

Having watched the CAF video, I can honestly say that I will be spending hours at a time on that mode alone (if they manage to get it how it looks here).

Edited by DC

Guest Al Stevens

Having watched the CAF video, I can honestly say that I will be spending hours at a time on that mode alone (if they manage to get it how it looks here).

If they can get the CAF like that its going to be a great addition to the game.

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Co-Op season's a great idea and it was arguably one of Smackdown 2's highlights (despite the weird booking season mode employed on an alarmingly consistent basis).

It'd be cool if you could abandon your partner during a tag match and instigate a stable split in exhibition or seasonn,it could come up the first time you try it with a warning of ' if you walk away now the stable is split up ' and then afterwards it's on your own head if you do it.

Heck...it could even influence storylines in season if you were Lance Cade for example and you abandoned Murdoch during a tag match,you could end up being thrown into a good old grudge feud.

Create a finisher sounds promising so long as it isn't too unbelievable (like powerbombing someone 6 times in a row and then applying a sharpshooter for example)