Fan Clubs | beta

SmackDown vs. RAW 2009 - Details On WWE's New Videogame

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Guest The Beltster

The Road to WrestleMania in reality is under 3 months every year, it starts at the Rumble near the end of January, runs through February and March and thats it. So its pretty realistic keeping it at 3 months.

I just hope the control method goes back to classic instead of that horrible bullsh*t they had in 2008, and PLEASE I'm begging for new move animations. Every single time they release a new game, the wrestlers all move exactly the same and are animated the same for their moves over and over.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Evil Monkey

I am glad the career mode has been shortened - especially f you still have to take care of them during days off i.e. charisma building and all that jazz. I simply got bored of the last one after a few weeks, and its been collecting dust ever since - not something that has happened with the previous editions.

Simply put, I am going to wait and see what gamers think. Not the reviewers, but people who might play it constantly. If they like it, then I will seperate with my hard earned cash, if they don't - then I won't.

Match wise, theres not a lot left off to be honest, so you can understand why new matches arent always something they focus on, but refining old matches like Tables, Hell In A Cell and the Elimination Chamber should be high on Yukes'/THQ's list.

The rosters have always left a lot to be desired, having to confirm the roster by at latest, June/July time, it leaves a huge gap then to when the game is released. Hopefully the DLC can help satisfy our quite frankly silly minds and give us new downloadable wrestlers for the game. Either guys they missed out, or guys who debuted since they finalised the roster.

Controls wise, personally I think is spot on. They make proper use of the whole pad, all the buttons, but without you stuck overly thinking while in a match, but you can still be pretty tactical about how you play.

Obviously the animations for the moves, often are a little dated, hopefully they can remedy this, i think the new interactions with refs/tag partners etc will definetly add to this.

The season mode has always been a bummer. SmackDown 2 probably had it spot on without getting boring. SmackDown 3 was wrong in every sense of the word. Shut Your Mouth was actually pretty damned good, had it not had all the free roaming crap. But to have Superstar specific season mode is definetly a good thing. So it finishes early, play it back as someone else, different story and what not.

the main problem I had last year, was the commentary, most of what King and JR said was from the year previous, and most of what JBL said was just cut and pasted over what Tazz said the year before, against what Cole had said the year before. Sadly I know the new teams wont be in, and it'll probably be King/JR, Styles/Tazz and Cole/Coach but it'd be nice to have the proper 3 announce teams in as they are now.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

More details about the game:

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - July 3, 2008 - THQ Inc. and JAKKS Pacific, Inc. today announced that World Wrestling Entertainment® Superstars Triple H and Shawn Michaels will be featured on the cover of WWE® SmackDown® vs. Raw® 2009. The accolade marks an unprecedented fifth time that fan-favorite Triple H has appeared on a cover for the leading fighting videogame franchise, while storied veteran Michaels will make his cover debut.

“Triple H and Shawn Michaels have made headlines over the years when they unite as the infamous ‘D-Generation X’ tag team in WWE programming,” said Cory Ledesma, senior creative manager, THQ. “We selected them for the cover as a means to celebrate the unprecedented level of tag team functionality we will deliver in WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009. Our tag team matches will allow players to experience the true task of working together, and our new Road to WrestleMania® Mode will feature the franchise's first co-op tag team storyline."

About WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 upholds the franchise’s commitment to delivering the definitive videogame simulation of live WWE programming. The Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 system, PlayStation 2 system and PSP system versions of the game will unleash a brand new tag team experience, allowing players to build momentum and attributes, eliminate opponents with high impact double teams and finishers, as well as get the “hot tag” for the win. The franchise’s renowned creation system offers a brand new Create-A-Finisher option, while a new Road to WrestleMania Mode paves the way to WWE’s biggest event of the year and lets players experience co-op storylines for the first time. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 also extends the virtual WWE gameplay experience with robust online capabilities, including the highly anticipated debut of downloadable content.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Wii builds upon its inaugural offering by significantly expanding its match type options, giving players more ways to enjoy the platform’s unique pick-up-and-play experience. The game also takes full combat sports entertainment to the next level by giving players more Superstar control with interactive entrances and victory scenes. WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Wii will also include a wide variety of new weapons, the debut of online gameplay and much more.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 for Nintendo DS returns with new gameplay controls that utilize the stylus and D-pad to deliver a compelling handheld fighting game experience. The redesigned Season Mode takes a role-playing approach, allowing players to interact with Superstars, upgrade their abilities and complete missions on a quest toward legendary goals. In addition, a larger Superstar roster, new match types and the inclusion of Create-A-Superstar will provide players with a variety of intriguing options to enhance gameplay.

More information about WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 can be found at http://www.smackdownvsraw.com and http://www.thq.com.

Credit: THQ press release

Guest Rebekah
It's a good cover... until you notice HBGAY. :lol

Reno, pardon your ignorance!

This is a momentous day in the history of WWE Smackdown vs Raw video games, its the first time in Smackdown vs Raw video game history that ................................a diva has been on the cover :lol

Guest Reno

Yeah, photoshop can do wonders to a person. ;)

Though, to be fair, it is a pretty awesome cover. Triple H looks totally badass.

I was thinking; with the focus being on tag teams this year, do you think the Legends will feature classic tag teams rather than just singles wrestlers? Could we get Demolition?

Guest Fiona
I think what's hilarious about this whole thing is while the new game focuses on tag teams, the WWE in reality has just about destroyed any tag team division they had during the last draft. Oh well. Edited by Fiona

Guest MojoPogo
You're right there Fiona. I'd love Savage to be in, if only to have a Mega Powers team in there.....not gonna happen though is it?

Guest The Beltster
No, there will be no Demolition, Akeem etc, infact I expect them to drop the legends roster entirely seeing as they are releasing a legends only game called Legends of WrestleMania in March 2009, surely they will save all the old guys for that game and not give any away early. Makes more sense to me.

Guest The Beltster

For it being a next gen console, the graphics look like sh*t, same old nonsense as usual, no visual improvements whatsoever. If they can make MASSIVE games with amazing graphics like GTA IV, why cant they make improvements to small games like WWE?!

Look at Takers legs in that pic where he is crouched down near Kennedy, it looks crap!