Fan Clubs | beta

WWE And THQ Announce WWE Legends Of WrestleMania

Fletch

US, May 6, 2008 - During an afternoon investor conference call to report its 2008 fiscal earnings, THQ announced that it is working on a brand-new wrestling property for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

It's called WWE Legends of WrestleMania, it'll star former Superstars, and it's in addition to the WWE SmackDown vs. RAW franchise. Details are still a bit hazy at this point in time, but a THQ press release says the game will arrive in March 2009 to coincide with WrestleMania 25, in Houston, Texas.

"We have generated significant year-over-year growth in key global territories with WWE-licensed videogames, including tremendous success with the WWE SmackDown vs. RAW franchise," said Peter Matiss, vice president, global brand management, THQ. "The development capabilities afforded by next generation hardware, combined with our established history and deep understanding of fighting videogames, allow us to leverage the strength of the WWE brand to further extend our leadership in the fighting videogame genre and bring this new property to market."

Credit IGN.com

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

HOLY SH*T! Thats my first reaction, and if it comes to be as I'd like to think, HOLY F*CKING SHITEROO!!! will be my next reaction.

The thought of a game including the 1985 - 1998 roster from the WWWF/WWF/WWE, NWA/WCW, WCCW, ECW etc and the old blue cage and WrestleMania 3 and 6 arena's and so on along with proper theme music, great graphics and the SmackDown engine...thats awesome.

Guest Clarkey
I know it is being overly cynical as I should like nigh on everyone be excited, but this was always inevitable when Acclaim went belly up and took Legends of Wrestling with it. Be interesting to see who they can get on board and whether they have the funds to do the game justice (hopefully that is where Vinnie steps in and helps).

Guest DarkMatchJobber
It's gonna be Legends of Wrestling meets Smackdown but with licensed entrance music,titantrons and names.

Guest Jack

Sounds awesome. Although the gameplay on THQ games is horrible, the roster alone is probably enough to get me interested. Hopefully they can get the big names in for it, though. It'd be a shame for the likes of Warrior and Savage not to make it in because of their personal problems with McMahon. Still, as long as certain guys are in, Hogan, Andre, Flair etc., it should still be interesting. I'd love it if they could get Ventura and Monsoon commentating, too. They should be able to, and it'd be shite if Cole or Tazz were commentating. I'm pleased to see it won't be on any of the older consoles, too.

It has a lot of potential.

Guest Jung

Yeah have to agree with what everyone else has said. The potential is enormous.

I mean the old arenas, the old ring aprons, the blue bars cage, old commentary teams, classic wrestlers, classic managers, classic themes etc etc.

If they really put a lot of effort into it, it could be monumentally good. But I don't want to think like that and then be disappointed.

As long as there's a classic roster and a decent engine, I'll be happy.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Sounds awesome. Although the gameplay on THQ games is horrible, the roster alone is probably enough to get me interested. Hopefully they can get the big names in for it, though. It'd be a shame for the likes of Warrior and Savage not to make it in because of their personal problems with McMahon. Still, as long as certain guys are in, Hogan, Andre, Flair etc., it should still be interesting. I'd love it if they could get Ventura and Monsoon commentating, too. They should be able to, and it'd be shite if Cole or Tazz were commentating. I'm pleased to see it won't be on any of the older consoles, too.

It has a lot of potential.

Isnt Gorilla Monsoon dead? Problem with that being that they would have to tape the commentary for the game, and it would be slightly difficult..

Guest Jung
Isnt Gorilla Monsoon dead? Problem with that being that they would have to tape the commentary for the game, and it would be slightly difficult..

I assume Jack meant with the hundreds to thousands of hours of commentary they have of Monsoon, they could make a digital copy and then use various phrases and what not. Especially if you just have him commentate on certain wrestlers, era's, arenas etc. As obviously you won't be hearing him say anything about John Cena, Triple H etc.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Yeah, I considered that as an option, I just figured it more likely that they'd want to do it the easy way. Although I agree they could try that, not much choice as to old school PBP otherwise.

Guest Rog
I loved the concept of the old Legends of Wrestling games, pity the engine was rubbish. Hope they can get it right this time though

Guest The Beltster
I assume Jack meant with the hundreds to thousands of hours of commentary they have of Monsoon, they could make a digital copy and then use various phrases and what not. Especially if you just have him commentate on certain wrestlers, era's, arenas etc. As obviously you won't be hearing him say anything about John Cena, Triple H etc.
If it sticks with a legends only roster, he wont have to say John Cena and Triple H etc, which means they might be able to work it somehow.

Maybe they will have Vince and Jesse do it seeing as they worked so well at SNME back in the day.

Guest Jung
If it sticks with a legends only roster, he wont have to say John Cena and Triple H etc, which means they might be able to work it somehow.

Maybe they will have Vince and Jesse do it seeing as they worked so well at SNME back in the day.

Yeah but even if its a legends only roster I imagine the likes of Cena and HHH will be there, I'd find it astonishing if they weren't. I mean they'd want to sell modern day WWE and all.

Guest The Beltster

I hope not, they are talking about coinsiding the release with SD! vs RAW 09 so there would be no need to ruin the legends game with the likes of Cena and Orton.

Fingers crossed they leave it legends only.

Guest Jung

I was thinking that and if its called Legends of WrestleMania surely it would make sense too.

But Belty I think they'll have to include the odd modern name so it appeals also to the modern fan. I mean you want it to appeal to the widest demographic. So I'd expect the likes of Cena, HHH, Batista, Undertaker, Kane, Jericho, Orton and Edge to be there as after all they've had some big matches in a lot of WrestleMania's. Thus does that make them modern day "legends of WrestleMania"?

The "modern" fan will buy Smackdown! v RAW 2009; this will be, IMO, aimed at those who won't buy SvR, but would shell out for a game featuring the wrestlers they enjoyed, like Dino Bravo, Earthquake, etc.