Fan Clubs | beta

WWE And THQ Announce WWE Legends Of WrestleMania

Fletch

Guest Al Stevens
These are the superstars that will be in the game:

Were is your source on that. At the moment the only two we know that been announced has been Hogan and Andre

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Black Knight
Were is your source on that. At the moment the only two we know that been announced has been Hogan and Andre
originally posted on the No Mercy Zone.

Guest Al Stevens

Do they have the source off a different site or is there guess work? sorry if i seem like i am coming down on this but at the moment on sites i have been to there hasn't been any announcement other than the trailer we saw in the E3 topic. If they have actually announced the roster then i will say sorry

Guest bigmatt

That list is a list of all current wrestlers on a legends contract.It was put up for specualtion on who will make the game.It isn't a list of who will be on the game.

No Mercy Zone is one of the most unreliable sites I know. These are the same site that reported that No Mercy 2 would be released on PS2 and whatnot many years ago. Tosh.

Although technically, No Mercy 2 is in the pipelines for the Wii online shop service I do believe, well an updated No Mercy at any rate

Roster doesn't bother me that much as SDvR is just same game with roster update, what I want to know if this is another hash with the old engine and will it be overcomplicated nonsense like the recent games?

Roster doesn't bother me that much as SDvR is just same game with roster update, what I want to know if this is another hash with the old engine and will it be overcomplicated nonsense like the recent games?
It certainly looks like a different engine and the noises being made suggest a different style to the fighting (more emphasis on grapples and less on strikes), but until a more in-depth video is released (there is a link to a teaser - which looks stunning - in the E3 thread) we'll just have to hope.

This is a quote from the article containing the video that does indeed give me hope...

"Legends aims to recreate the telecasts of the time with "signature ring entrances, renowned commentators, notable venues and much more" and will also implement a brand new combo fighting system that is grapple-based. Taunts, strike attacks, and reversals will also make up the control scheme as Superstars battle in "current and nostalgic match types."

The bolded parts are what makes me think that the old-school commentators (Gorilla, Heenan with even McMahon and Ventura a possibility) will be doing the mic work, The Fink will cover the entrances and "Mean" Gene Okerlund will take care of backstage interviews.

With all respect to what the article says, it's marketing rhetoric.

i think I'll only be happy it's a different game engine and control system when it's out, I mean it's THQ, the latest WWE games are basically roster updates with a tweak to the engine to justify the price tag and each time they spout out the same marketing nonsense about it being a different game that "focuses" on something.

Jeeze, how about a game you can just sit down and play?

Currently it sounds like they've taken the engine, bumped up the graphics added something that will probably be so fiddley to learn we'll end up doing the punch punch grapple moves we are all used to.

I hate to be the one to bring this thread down, but after the last crap that's been laid on the table by THQ for the past 2 years, the glass is definitely half empty!

With all respect to what the article says, it's marketing rhetoric.

i think I'll only be happy it's a different game engine and control system when it's out, I mean it's THQ, the latest WWE games are basically roster updates with a tweak to the engine to justify the price tag and each time they spout out the same marketing nonsense about it being a different game that "focuses" on something.

Jeeze, how about a game you can just sit down and play?

Currently it sounds like they've taken the engine, bumped up the graphics added something that will probably be so fiddley to learn we'll end up doing the punch punch grapple moves we are all used to.

I hate to be the one to bring this thread down, but after the last crap that's been laid on the table by THQ for the past 2 years, the glass is definitely half empty!

The part in bold can be said about almost all sporting franchises (EA are particularly guilty of this), so it's not like THQ are the only ones.

As for the marketing rhetoric; maybe it is and maybe it isn't, but I do feel that, even if the game engine isn't that different, the roster, venues and general feel of the game itself could compensate.

Guest Da Showstoppa
As long as the game features I.R.S i'll be happy.

I would bet on it - he was one half of one of the greatest heel tag teams in history. I hope the Mountie is in there too! Not that he really did much. :lol

Credit to 007Nayman at IGN forums...

The following is an article from F4Wonline.com's Jereme Warneck, who attended the E3 convention in Los Angeles and got an exclusive look at WWE's new Legends of WrestleMania video game.

WWE Legends of WrestleMania First Look

July 15, 2008

E3 2008 at the Los Angeles Convention Center-Los Angeles, California

"I am proud to say I was the first, and to this point possibly only journalist to see WWE Legends of WrestleMania. Therefore, this preview will be short to be first."

"First the numbers. The game is going to be exclusive to the XBOX 360 and PS3. It has a firm release date of in the period right before WrestleMania XXV. The game is going to have a roster of around 40 Superstars. Anyone who is under a WWE Legends contract is eligible to be placed in the game. The game will feature 4 player online multi-player. Today they announced 1 venue, the Pontiac Silverdome. The developers are still in discussions about adding the cart thing that drove the wrestlers to the ring during WrestleMania III."

"The game was playable today, just not for the press. The match was, of course, Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant with Bobby "the Brain" Heenan. Those were the only Superstars announced for the game, so far. However, there was the strong suggestion that Mr.Fuji may appear in the game. Managers are going to play a major role in this game, hearkening back to the old days when managers played a major role in matches. THQ was unable to comment at this time if Divas would be included in the game. They were unprepared to announce who would be calling these classic matches. They were unable to announce who the ring announcer would be, however it is a safe guess that Howard Finkel will get the call for that job."

"There will be a create-a-legend mode, similar to the create-a-superstar mode in SmackDown! vs. Raw. However, it will be much more limited. Since it is a Legends game they are trying to keep it somewhat authentic to the times, which means not even the created legend will be able to break out the 630 splash. The older Superstar's move package has been beefed up, though. The designers felt Hogan and Andre needed more then 4 moves to have a match that would be enjoyable for players to recreate. The game will feature a classic arcade style game play. That means only the left analog stick and 4 face buttons will be used. The shoulder buttons, triggers, and right analog stick will serve as decoration for this game. Players will even have the option of using the D-pad and foregoing the left analog stick for an even more retro feel. The wrestlers have been made larger then life, as they are designed to have been remembered when players were children. In this game Andre is 10 feet tall and has the body of a Greek god. Hogan looks like the next Mr. Universe. There is still some tweaking with the graphics to be done, though. The giant yellow Hogan number 1 fingers the crowd was waving were bigger then 2 people in the crowd."

"There is going to be a tour mode. There players can re-enact great matches from history and change the outcomes or add wacky stipulations. For example Hogan vs. Andre can now be in a cage and Andre would win. The most exciting feature of the game for me is that they announced real footage from the WWE vault will be used in the game. They were unable to announce how they are going to use the footage, but there are a lot of interesting possibilities open for them to explore. There was also talk of a possible special edition game featuring some of the matches that are recreated in the game. That is very speculative, though. Email me any questions you guys have. I will answer every one about this game or anything else I see at E3. My contact info is at the bottom."

Guest The Beltster
That means only the left analog stick and 4 face buttons will be used. The shoulder buttons, triggers, and right analog stick will serve as decoration for this game. Players will even have the option of using the D-pad and foregoing the left analog stick for an even more retro feel.
Everything I read there sounds fantastic, I especially like the part I quoted above. A simpler control method with less crazy moves adds to the game's authenticity IMO, a great decision on behalf of THQ.

It sounds like they are really putting the time and effort into this, with the larger graphics and more cartoony feel, the real footage to hype the old angles for those who didnt catch them as they happened is also such a great idea.

I cannot wait to play this game!

Makes you wonder who the 40 will be. I hope they mean 40 wrestlers and then the managers and valets on top.

Although with them saying WWE legends being eligible, that rules out Savage and Warrior, which is a great shame.

Guest The Beltster

Warrior is under a legends deal, its just not with WWE, he signed directly with Jakks Pacific, but so did Bret Hart and Honky, I'd not rule Warrior out yet. Savage, yeah, no chance.

I'm hoping they fill it with big name stars and no jobbers like Brooklyn Brawler etc.

Guest nWoHitman

I know warrior has a legend deal for action figures but i hear even that is very limited compared to other wrestlers.

As for being in the game it's unlikely because warrior isn't a fan of thq's as he sued them back in 2003 for using his trademarks and character without his permission then still making his character available through some kinda codes as i recall.

I hope warrior is in but it's more than likely he won't.

Warrior is under a legends deal, its just not with WWE, he signed directly with Jakks Pacific, but so did Bret Hart and Honky, I'd not rule Warrior out yet. Savage, yeah, no chance.

I'm hoping they fill it with big name stars and no jobbers like Brooklyn Brawler etc.

Thing is though I mean I imagine they'll be say Austin, Rock, Taker, Hogan, HBK, Bret, Road Warriors, Flair, Andre, Jake, Dibiase, Foley, Steamboat, Dusty, Piper etc as guarantees.

Which leaves the likes of Demolition, Bossman, Warrior, Earthquake, Honky, Hall, Nash, Rude, Jannety, Vader, The Bulldogs, etc as hopefuls.

I actually think a few of the more regular jobbers of the era would be a cool inclusion. It would seem strangely awesome being able to mutilate the Brooklyn Brawler and SD Jones.. :lol

Or at least as exclusive extra characters in the Tour/Story mode, it would be a cool realistic feature, kinda like they did in Legends of Wrestling II.

Guest The Beltster
I actually think a few of the more regular jobbers of the era would be a cool inclusion. It would seem strangely awesome being able to mutilate the Brooklyn Brawler and SD Jones.
I'm not against them having Pez Whatley or Steve Gatorwolf etc, but I'd hate for them to be put in there and not Honky or Snuka or Akeem, somebody who would be so much better.

With only 40 roster spots, there are alot of guys to fit in there.

My list would be like this:

1. Hulk Hogan

2. Ultimate Warrior

3. Andre the Giant

4. Randy Savage

5. Rick Rude

6. Ted DiBiase

7. Jake Roberts

8. Rick Martel

9. Brutus Beefcake

10. Roddy Piper

11. Bret Hart

12. Ax

13. Smash

14. Jim Neidhart

15. Tito Santana

16. Akeem

17. Big Bossman

18. Paul Orndorff

19. Undertaker

20. Steve Austin

21. Dusty Rhodes

22. The Rock

23. Ric Flair

24. Shawn Michaels

25. Marty Jannety

26. British Bulldog

27. Arn Anderson

28. Tully Blanchard

29. Sgt. Slaughter

30. Koko B Ware

31. Earthquake

32. Dino Bravo

33. King Kong Bundy

34. Greg Valentine

35. Jim Duggan

36. Iron Shiek

37. Warlord

38. Barbarian

39. Jimmy Snuka

40. Mr Perfect

Then, as managers and so on, unplayable characters I mean, I'd have:

1. Bobby Heenan

2. Jimmy Hart

3. Virgil

4. Sherri

5. Elizabeth

6. Slick

7. Mr Fuji

8. Mean Gene

9. Vince

10. Jesse

11. Monsoon

12. Saphire

And as far as arena's go, I'd have:

1. Silverdome - WM3

2. SkyDome - WM6

3. MSG - WM1

4. Generic WrestleMania arena

5. Generic SummerSlam arena

6. Wembley - SS92

7. Generic Survivor Series arena

8. Generic Royal Rumble arena

9. Generic SNME arena

10. Generic Superstars of Wrestling arena

If the game includes some sort of combo of those things, I'm happy. Sh*t, it has Hogan vs Andre in the Silverdome, I'm already happy.