Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Make contentious statements about combat sports

Guest Dusty Finish

Guest Dusty Finish

... because a thread that can hang about for a while might be fun.

MMA, boxing, K1, whatever.... post something you think/believe that goes against the prevailing concensus. Debate or second others' statements, or just post your own.

To get things started:

Georges St Pierre is still yet to surpass Matt Hughes as the greatest 170lber in MMA to date.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anime Otaku
Boxing is more interesting to watch than MMA since it doesn't devolve into two guys lying on the floor cuddling for 3 minute stretches.

Guest Sparrow
Boxing is more interesting to watch than MMA since it doesn't devolve into two guys lying on the floor cuddling for 3 minute stretches.

Boxers do all their cuddling standing up.

Guest Sparrow
GSP and Anderson Silva are overrated.

GSP Overrated?! What is wrong with you man!?

So do you Spazz. So do you...

It is were I do my best cuddling.

Guest Sparrow
Yeah, Sparrow. I think GSP is overrated. Josh Koscheck is gonna shock the word!

:lol With GSP and Brock Lesnar both losing, Dana would have a heart attack.

Brock has a glass chin. Ok, so it might be safety glass as opposed to single pane crap, but he doesn't like getting hit in the face, not one little bit. I think it's more psychological than physical.

MMA is more interesting than boxing because boxers stand there trading mild brain damage for WAY to long. Seriously, I get horribly bored after 3 or so rounds (usually less, actually).

MMA:

- MMA is the best combat sport in the world, since so much can happen in it. It isn't limited to one thing, like Boxing or other combat sports.

- Josh Koscheck sucks, and he is a really overrated fighter who trash talks to much. Plus, his hair looks silly.

- Anderson Silva rules.

- GSP is a really good fighter, but some of his fights tend to be less exciting than they should be.

- The UFC should never have released Gabriel Gonzaga.

- Dan Severn should have his retirement fight (whenever that happens) in the UFC.

K-1:

- K-1 is the second best combat sport in the world (second only to MMA) and it is fast paced and really exciting. Unlike boxing, K-1 allows kicks, knees and punches, and is far less limited than boxing.

- K-1 should be far more popular/well-known worldwide than it currently is.

Boxing:

- I have a like/hate relationship with boxing.....on one hand, I like the sport as an artform (the head movement and footwork of boxers is pretty much an artform), but I don't like the death rate/brain injury rate of boxing overall.

- I don't believe that boxing is ever going to go anywhere, unlike the people who thing that boxing will be killed off by MMA.

Edited by ShaolinHandLock

Guest John Hancock

- Fedor gets beaten up in pretty much every fight he's in until he somehow pulls of a random armbar.

- No one cares about Lightweights.

- Ju Jitsu isn't particularly interesting from a spectator's point of view.

- 99% of MMA fighters can't throw a punch for sh*t.

- UFC needs PRIDE style fighter entrances immediately.

- Jake Shields IS boring.

Guest Jayfunk
99% of MMA fighters can't throw a punch for sh*t.

And yet they will knock the fake dye out of you :lol

Edit This is a joke I am sure JH is not a natural blond or even worse a ginger but most poeple on seasme streek are (elmos)

Guest John Hancock
Edit This is a joke I am sure JH is not a natural blond or even worse a ginger but most poeple on seasme streek are (elmos)

...eh?

- Ju Jitsu isn't particularly interesting from a spectator's point of view.

I'd say this is true, but only when they aren't doing anything. That is, just laying there.

I really like the submissions that come from Jiu-Jitsu, and I also like exciting Jiu-Jitsu fighters (that is, the ones that don't just lay there).

- No one cares about Lightweights.

I do.....Shinya Aoki, BJ Penn, Caol Uno, Nate Diaz, Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett.....the list of really good lightweight fighters goes on and on, and I will never not care about them.

- 99% of MMA fighters can't throw a punch for sh*t.

Except the ones that can......

- UFC needs PRIDE style fighter entrances immediately.

That would be fun. :)

I believe that would fall in the 1% category.

Well I don't believe it.

And if you're only basing the "can't punch for s**t" thing on boxing, you have to remember that punching in boxing and MMA is completely different. Boxers can punch so well because that's their primary weapon, mixed martial artists however train in a bit of everything, so their punches aren't going to be comparable.

BJ Penn is the greatest mma fighter in the UFC. Hell, in probably the entire damn world. All his losses have been flukes. Josh Koscheck comes in a close second.

No.....just no. :lol

And I like BJ Penn, but still.....no.

Oh, and just to add my opinion.....Anderson Silva is the best fighter in the UFC. Possible the world (at least in his weight class).