Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Random Fight Forum News and Comments

Guest Saz

I think I've finally decided to get into the UFC properly. I've taken a little notice here and there over the years, but now's the time to make a bit of an effort for it. I'm not fussed for watching old stuff, I find it difficult to get into any competitive sport that isn't live, but when is the next event? What UK channel is it on? And who should I be looking out for?

Cheers guys! :D

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
You chose the best time to do this. It's on ESPN, which is free this weekend, as is a show on Saturday night featuring the greatest man alive, Nick Diaz. Check out the Diaz vs. Condit thread in this very forum for more on that show, but, yeah, it's on ESPN, and you don't need to be an ESPN subscriber to watch it.

Current UFC on FOX 3 Card:

Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller

Lavar Johnson vs. Pat Barry

I hope they're getting a decent main event sorted for that show otherwise it's going to be a tough sell.

Also, Brandon Vera has got his re-match against Thiago Silva on an FX show, Silva's coming off his 12 month suspension for handing in non-human urine for his drug test.

Guest John Hancock
Current UFC on FOX 3 Card:

Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller

Lavar Johnson vs. Pat Barry

I hope they're getting a decent main event sorted for that show otherwise it's going to be a tough sell.

Also, Brandon Vera has got his re-match against Thiago Silva on an FX show, Silva's coming off his 12 month suspension for handing in non-human urine for his drug test.

Looks like they don't. According to Caesar Gracie on Twitter, Diaz/Miller is going to be the main event. If that true, it says a lot either about the lack of depth in UFC's roster, or how seriously they're taking this FOX thing. Or both. I mean, it'll be a good fight, and I love me some Diaz Brothers, but the main event? On the back of the Heavyweight Title fight and a Light-Heavyweight number one contender/Middleweight number one contender double headliner? Hopefully Caesar's got his facts wrong, because, if that's the case, UFC are in really trouble this year.

Guest John Hancock
Other than Ali, who did he work with? I think CNN mentioned Sugar Ray too. I don't really know anything about boxing outside of the ring.

His first world champion was Carmen Basilio and the last elite fighter he worked with was De La Hoya when he fought Pacquiao. Nacho Beristain was De La Hoya's main trainer but Dundee worked as a strategist. Aside from those two, he was George Foreman's trainer during his comeback and worked with many other excellent fighters, including Willie Pastrano, Luis Rodriguez, Jose Napoles, Wilfredo Gomez, Michael Nunn and quite a few more.

Rodriguez, Ali, Leonard, Napoles, Gomez, Nunn and Foreman would all rank inside the top 10 greatest fighters in their division, so it's quite a record that Dundee worked with all of them.

Guest Dusty Finish
Looks like they don't. According to Caesar Gracie on Twitter, Diaz/Miller is going to be the main event. If that true, it says a lot either about the lack of depth in UFC's roster, or how seriously they're taking this FOX thing. Or both. I mean, it'll be a good fight, and I love me some Diaz Brothers, but the main event? On the back of the Heavyweight Title fight and a Light-Heavyweight number one contender/Middleweight number one contender double headliner? Hopefully Caesar's got his facts wrong, because, if that's the case, UFC are in really trouble this year.

Suits me as a main, to be honest. They can't continually give up stuff like Cain-JDS, Chael-Bisping & Rashad on free TV; that's akin to burning money. I've long thought they'd be foolish not to use the Fox deal to build the lighter weight classes into something as noteworthy to the masses as the ones above (not that I understand these folks for a minute, how people can be more interested in the shallow heavyweight division & gentleman's club atop 205lbs than the ultra-stacked Lightweights, who seldom fail to deliver the goods... but that's another story for another time, and in all walks of culture there's hardly any correlation with what's popular and what's good).

In truth, they're probably just after something that's guaranteed good times, after delivering a one fight show where the fight went one minute, and following it up with a five round one sided borefest. After all, most existing fans watch everything anyway, and any newbies they've picked up/are picking up don't really know Lyoto Machida from TJ Waldberger yet, so it makes little odds.

Suits me as a main, to be honest. They can't continually give up stuff like Cain-JDS, Chael-Bisping & Rashad on free TV; that's akin to burning money. I've long thought they'd be foolish not to use the Fox deal to build the lighter weight classes into something as noteworthy to the masses as the ones above (not that I understand these folks for a minute, how people can be more interested in the shallow heavyweight division & gentleman's club atop 205lbs than the ultra-stacked Lightweights, who seldom fail to deliver the goods... but that's another story for another time, and in all walks of culture there's hardly any correlation with what's popular and what's good).

In truth, they're probably just after something that's guaranteed good times, after delivering a one fight show where the fight went one minute, and following it up with a five round one sided borefest. After all, most existing fans watch everything anyway, and any newbies they've picked up/are picking up don't really know Lyoto Machida from TJ Waldberger yet, so it makes little odds.

I can see where you're coming from, but right now it's not the right decision. When UFC has been on FOX for a year then this is fine, but they're still trying to get established on network TV, and with it being such a ratings based industry they can't afford to put on a show without a big main event to draw viewers. The second show saw the ratings lower than the first show, and if/when the third show with this main event has even lower ratings then FOX may start asking questions about whether the money and time they are spending on the UFC is warranted.

If they want a fun fight they already have Barry/Johnson, and having two good fights and a main event with top names is probably the better formula. It's a risk that I certainly wouldn't be willing to take at this stage, and I really hope this doesn't end up biting them in the backside. Also, it's been confirmed that this is the ME as both Diaz and Miller have agreed to a five round fight.

So I'm pretty much a newb to all this MMA stuff, so I'm currently forming my opinions on who I like and I don't like, yadda, yadda, yadda.

This video right here is possibly one of the greatest things I've seen so far:

[video=youtube;TpT2W4zRzzM]

News just in, Brazil has computers! :eek

Oh Chael... :wub

Main Events aplenty announced today:

According to a Twitter post by Lorenzo Fertitta early Friday morning, UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior dos Santos will defend his title against No. 1 contender Alistair Overeem on Saturday, May 26 in Las Vegas, NV.

In a twitter discussion, Lorenzo Feritta listed July 7 in Las Vegas as the date for the Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber bantamweight title match.

It'll be interesting to see if that July 7 fight for Cruz/Faber is a PPV (I'm guessing it will be) or if they'll tie it into the Ultimate Fighter series at all.

Guest John Hancock

They have a PPV scheduled for July 7th, so I suppose Cruz/Faber will be on that.

Poor Dos Santos getting bumped from the Brazil card because of Sonnen. I still love you JDS, I still care.

Guest The Beltster
Angelo Dundee has passed away at the age of 90. Very sad day for boxing. A true legend and one of the best trainers of all time.
And one of the most crooked f*ckers ever too, but boxing is a shady as anything else.

Guest Frank Botch

My reaction was somewhat similar. NO HOMO.

Thank goodness for that phrase.

Couple of boring bits of news:

Shane Mosley is fighting Saul Alvarez on the Mayweather/Cotto undercard.

Roger Gracie, who's been in some fun fights,, has signed with the UFC.

Bisping has left Wolfslair

Griffin/Tito 3 looks to be happening. Hooray.

Edited by Frank Botch

There's a UFC on Fuel card on this Wednesday, headlined by Diego Sanchez and Jake Ellenberger in what could actually be a very good fight. The whole card looks pretty entertaining actually.

Unfortunately if you're in the UK it's not on anywhere. Except UFC.tv, but that means staying up until 3am on a Wednesday night to watch a C-Level show on your computer.

In other news Lorenzo has confirmed the shocking surprise that the UFC are moving off ESPN in the UK to "somewhere big".

Well that's just even more sucky. From the looks of it there would be a scheduling conflict, there's a live NBA game on ESPN from 2am on Weds/Thurs and I'd imagine ESPN have already paid to showed that as part of one big deal, whereas the UFC seem a bit more show-by-show basis.

To make up for it, here's an awesome KO, fast forward to 2:55 for the fight:

[video=youtube;4awSmJfuhbU]

Guest Frank Botch

It's free to watch on .tv, you just have to register I believe. You pay to subscribe and get... other stuff(library I assume).

I want to see the top two fights so I'm staying up, Ellenberger should smash Diego. And Struve really is quite tall.