Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE SummerSlam 2013 Discussion Thread - August 18, 2013 from Los Angeles, CA (#26)

TPIB

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman

I've said my piece on Payback. And the feud was with Heyman, technically.

Literally cannot think of anything else particularly interesting he did this time around. The best match that he was in was the Shield match from February, which had little to do with him. He had a couple of good TV matches I guess, but I mean, so has The Miz. I also think he got less out of Ryback than almost every opponent of his so far (Punk, Cena, Bryan, Cesaro, etc.).

I just think I'm at the point where I'm not buying what he is selling anymore, namely the 'forced workrate epic' stuff that I have already ranted about. It's tired, and there are numerous other guys on the roster who work the style better.

I'm with you in the sense that if he didn't come back after his Fozzy tour I wouldn't miss him that much. You're right he was just there kinda taking up space almost. There was no passion behind him because everyone knew his role was just to get other guys over. Besides like dsr and I and even yourself(I believe) said, how do you get guys over if all your doing is getting guys over? Sure he's Chris freaking Jericho but that's ALL he is and I'm even starting to wonder if that means anything at all anymore? And besides did he even do his job? Who did he really put over big? I don't think anyone he lost to got a rub of any measurable quality.

I'm probably just rehashing everything you've already said about Y2J.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yeah, there's no value in beating Jericho anymore because he jobs to everyone. Fandango beat him at Mania and it didn't mean anything. They tried to use "BIGGEST UPSET IN WRESTLEMANIA HISTORY" as a talking point, and it literally wouldn't have made the slightest difference to his career if Jericho won that match instead.

I don't think he's been bad or anything, and he's always going to be over so he's useful to have around, but I don't think he really contributes anything substantial anymore. He's just a more over version of Christian, a veteran who's job is to put guys over. Which is fine, and again useful, but it doesn't really matter if he stays or goes anymore. Plus to me he is incredibly stale in the ring.

He's just a more over version of Christian, a veteran who's job is to put guys over. Which is fine, and again useful, but it doesn't really matter if he stays or goes anymore. Plus to me he is incredibly stale in the ring.

That's a good analogy.

Do you think it's like some have been saying, that Jericho is "tarnishing his legacy" by being used this way? Are people gonna look back in 10, 15 years and see Jericho as nothing more than a midcard jobber? Or do you think he's done enough in his career to be safe? I mean, He was up there with Austin, Rocky, Trips, Angle, Krispen Waugh, ect. in the attitude days and you don't see any of them coming back to do the job. Certainly not The Rock. Or is it maybe Jericho is the least marky wrestler to ever lace his boots and he doesn't care what anyone thinks of his legacy as long as he's making money?

Also, Goddammit, Dean!

Guest Jimmy Redman
That's a good analogy.

Do you think it's like some have been saying, that Jericho is "tarnishing his legacy" by being used this way? Are people gonna look back in 10, 15 years and see Jericho as nothing more than a midcard jobber? Or do you think he's done enough in his career to be safe? I mean, He was up there with Austin, Rocky, Trips, Angle, Krispen Waugh, ect. in the attitude days and you don't see any of them coming back to do the job. Certainly not The Rock. Or is it maybe Jericho is the least marky wrestler to ever lace his boots and he doesn't care what anyone thinks of his legacy as long as he's making money?

To your last point, yes. Jericho has always come off as very reasonable about booking, he understands his roles and has no problem showing ass or doing the job. I don't think he gives a single f*ck about losing matches.

Secondly, he's certainly not on an Austin or Rock level. He's not a guy who can come back for a run and be protected because of how much of a megastar he is.

He's a star from that era, and I think does well when you compare him to comparable guys; Angle, RVD, Foley, Kane, etc. I mean, don't forget that he had that big run from 2008 to early 2010 where he was a pretty effective main eventer/World Champion/Smackdown ace. He managed to remain relevant on top for a very long time, and is a guy who is always going to be effortlessly over. I compare him to Christian for his current role, but he's a far bigger deal than Christian and always will be.

Anyway, no, I don't think it tarnishes his legacy that he's a veteran JTTS now that he is a veteran. If there are actually people saying that I think they need to take a deep breath. All wrestlers get old and stop being main eventers.

Guest Ciaran The King

Jimmy has a valid point, how many of us wanted the Rock, Hogan, Austin to stay on top forever??

Everyone's time comes to an end and and if they are the true superstar they go out the right way. Austin, Rock and Hogan all gave superstars the helping hand towards the end of their WWE tenure. In my opinion a superstars aura in only enhanced further by doing what's right

Guest mrkennedy
Summerslam is shaping up to be good. I hope sandow rhodes gets on the card and they dont waste the match on raw or the youtube pre show.

Guest babycitagirl

Do you know what would absolutely kick at SUMMERSLAM?

Everyone and their brothers and sisters is expecting Ricardo Rodriguez to either cost ADR, or Christian, the WHC Sunday night. That said, here's MY 2-cents...

ADR and Christian are going at it hot and heavy, when a guy in street clothes - hoodie, jeans, Doc Martens - and a hockey mask storms to the ring. At first, he seems to be on ADR's side when he takes out Christian with the Backbreaker. But then, just as ADR is about to pick up the scraps, BAM! HE gets taken out with the Backbreaker. The hood comes off, and so does the mask...

Ricardo.

And he has a sadistic smile on his face as he leaves both men out.

Think an antihero gimmick would work for him? GO!

Guest babycitagirl
Backbreaker? :lol

It would be fun but I don't see that happening.

Oh, Lord, thanks for pointing it out, Maxximus.

I mean to say, "Backstabber." Thanks.

Do you know what would absolutely kick at SUMMERSLAM?

Everyone and their brothers and sisters is expecting Ricardo Rodriguez to either cost ADR, or Christian, the WHC Sunday night. That said, here's MY 2-cents...

ADR and Christian are going at it hot and heavy, when a guy in street clothes - hoodie, jeans, Doc Martens - and a hockey mask storms to the ring. At first, he seems to be on ADR's side when he takes out Christian with the Backbreaker. But then, just as ADR is about to pick up the scraps, BAM! HE gets taken out with the Backbreaker. The hood comes off, and so does the mask...

Ricardo.

And he has a sadistic smile on his face as he leaves both men out.

Think an antihero gimmick would work for him? GO!

No. Entirely no. As far as WWE are concerned, Ricardo is a bit player with no wrestling skills. It's more likely that he come back under a hood as El Local/Chimaera or be flat out released than that ever taking place.

Guest John Hancock
Speaking of backbreakers, were it not for Dark Knight Rises making it a bit of an obvious reference, Brock Lesnar should totally be backbreaking the f*ck out of people, Orton-punt style.