Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE SummerSlam 2013 Discussion Thread - August 18, 2013 from Los Angeles, CA (#26)

TPIB

The backbreaker has never really broken any backs. It should be called the backhurter. /mattdenton
Didn't WCW go on a bit of a phase where they stopped calling things "-breakers" and instead went with backbender, neckbender, etc?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so they have put Triple H in as the Special Referee for the WWE Title match. However, to me, that is not the most interesting new development regarding this match. According to F4WOnline.com and some other wrestling sites, John Cena is scheduled for elbow surgery after SummerSlam. That should really make things interesting for the title match. I fully expect Cena to retain against Bryan, but I see Orton cashing in to take the title.

They have also booked Dean Ambrose vs. Rob Van Dam for the U.S. Title on the Kickoff Pre-Show and Natalya vs. Brie Bella on the main card. That sentence is wrong in so many ways. While Ambrose/RVD may not be the show-stealer, it definitely deserves to be on the main card over some pointless Divas match that is just a way to boost ratings for that Total Divas show that WWE won't shut up about.

I would actually enjoy seeing RVD as the U.S. Champion. It's one of the few current WWE titles that he has not held yet and, given WWE's booking of The Shield as of late, it would help make the title matter again (maybe).

Also, I would not be surprised to see a WWE Tag Team Title match added to the card at some point. Rollins & Reigns vs. Big Show & Mark Henry perhaps?

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, I can see an Orton cash in, and an Orton/Bryan feud. Whether Cena wins or not, I don't know. The obvious thing is Cena wins, then Orton cashes in, but, for dramas sake, I'd much rather they do something where Bryan either wins, or gets close to winning, or just doesn't lose, but then Orton's cash in f*cks it up for him, so they have a legitimate beef going into it. Probably won't happen that way and it'll be Cena winning, and then Orton cashing in, but I think it's more fun.

Yeah, I can see an Orton cash in, and an Orton/Bryan feud. Whether Cena wins or not, I don't know. The obvious thing is Cena wins, then Orton cashes in, but, for dramas sake, I'd much rather they do something where Bryan either wins, or gets close to winning, or just doesn't lose, but then Orton's cash in f*cks it up for him, so they have a legitimate beef going into it. Probably won't happen that way and it'll be Cena winning, and then Orton cashing in, but I think it's more fun.

I would like to see them do an awkward cash-in similar to what they did with the 24/7 rule for the Hardcore Title once upon a time. Have the title match still be in progress when both or either Cena and Bryan are down, then have Orton rush in and cash in on Cena to win the title. I could see this scenario playing out while some sort of chicanery is going on with Special Referee Triple H and Vince or something. There are a lot of interesting directions they could take the cash-in.

Guest Jamster26
When was the last time Cena tapped? Did Del Rio make him tap one time? I think it would be amazing if he were to tap to Bryan's finish.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I don't think he would have tapped to Alberto. Alberto pinned him at Vengeance. I think that was the only time he beat him.

I doubt that Cena has submitted (as the finish to a match I mean) since he became a top guy. I certainly can't think of any specific example. If so, I have a feeling the last time would have been Angle submitting him in 2005. I'll check it out.

EDIT: Yeah. When I said 2005 I meant 2004, Cena submitted in the triple threat at No Way Out 2004. So February 2004 is the last time.

There was at least one fake "tap your unconscious hand" submission during the Cena vs Bischoff era, I am almost certain. But that hardly counts.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Guest str0ntiumd0g
I reckon it will be Cena beats Bryan with some outside McMahon/Triple H shennanigans to set up this family feud thing thats happening. Don't think Orton will cash in yet. If WWE are smart they can do a nice long build up to a heel turn for him (finally!). Let Cena win a PPV or two more then have Orton take him out at Survivor Series. Hopefully with the support Daniel Bryan is getting they keep the belt off him and have him win the main event next year's Mania.

I'm thinking some McMahon/HHH shenanigans will get in the way near the end of the match and Orton will ue the briefcase before a fall is reached so No one loses out and there's a feud to come back to when Cena comes back from injury.

I reckon they should play up on Cena's bad elbow. Have him "injure" it worse during the match, and then have him have to tap to the Yes! Lock?

Sells Bryan's submission as a legitimate crippler, Cena gets time off for his injury (both legit and kayfabe), and as Bryan's celebrating Orton comes out and cashes in on him to give them a feud moving forwards for the next couple of months.

I think it ties in well because Bryan's been hitting the whole "you're not a wrestler" schtick. It'd make sense that an actual wrestler like Bryan would target a wounded body part and punish the holy hell out of it?

I was gonna post why they didn't sell the Anaconda Vice during the Punk/Lesnar feud but with the Yes! Lock also being a possible finisher, it's better to focus on one.

Guest Ruderz

I've actually really enjoyed everything RVD has done since he came back, it'd be great to see him as US champ. Growing a sheer resentment for Total Divas though, RVD/Ambrose should NOT be pre-show.

I forsee Daniel Bryan winning and Orton cash in. Would make sense for Bryan to make Cena tap out and give him time off but would also make the fans want to see Bryan as champ even more since Orton would take the title right after he won it. Makes total sense to me.

And then Vince can screw Bryan out of getting another title shot, which means the only way Daniel Bryan would get his deserved match for the title that Orton "stole" from him would be by winning the Royal Rumble. Which he will.

Hell, if they wanted to really drive home the Vince vs. HHH ready for a WrestleMania blow off, they could have Vince skew the Rumble picks so Bryan ends up as number 1, just for him to outlast the other 29 (or even 39) guys and win the Mania main event slot.

That's what I'd do anyways. Come WrestleMania next year you should have a legit main eventer in Bryan who's gonna give the 30th anniversary a huge happy ending by finally becoming the WWE Champion. Nice.

Guest Ruderz

Anyway, here are my predictions for SummerSlam.

I predict Dean Ambrose to win, most likely through DQ as the Shield mass attack Van Dam. I'd like RVD to pick up the US title for a bit, I feel he'd be a great champ as he seems really on form.

Brie Bella to win to promote the crappy Total Divas. Can't believe this got on the PPV over the US title defence.

Cody Rhodes to pick up the win against Sandow I reckon.

Del Rio to beat Christian. Deep down I'd love Christian to win, but I know it's not going to happen.

Probably Dolph Ziggler and Kaitlyn to win, but I'd prefer AJ and Big E.

Bray Wyatt to beat Kane. I hope that after Kane gets defeated, he gets converted into joining the Wyatt family as others have said before me.

Daniel Bryan to beat Cena, Orton to cash in and beat Bryan. I forsee some kind of Vince/HHH misplay or power struggle too.

Punk to beat Lesnar. Could surprise everyone though and have Lesnar beat Punk, would be out of the blue.

Guest HH-Evolution
I love how there's an element of unpredictability here - we can all SEE how it would be easier for things to go as they would with the normal parties, but with all of the elements currently in play for a lot of matches, it feels like summerslam has an aura that some real surprises are coming - color me kinda excited, should be a fun night!

It's never been done before but there's actually no rule as to when the case should be cashed in. If there is, then it flew right above me.

I predict Dean Ambrose to win, most likely through DQ as the Shield mass attack Van Dam. I'd like RVD to pick up the US title for a bit, I feel he'd be a great champ as he seems really on form.

Brie Bella to win to promote the crappy Total Divas. Can't believe this got on the PPV over the US title defence.

I imagine they have higher profile matches on the pre-show for ratings and to make sure people are watching early for when the PPV actually starts.

They've had three title defences in the last five pre-shows, so it's not without precedent. Also the matches on the pre-shows have been good-to-great so far.

Bray Wyatt to beat Kane. I hope that after Kane gets defeated, he gets converted into joining the Wyatt family as others have said before me.
I believe Kane is going to be injured and taken off screen to give him time to film See No Evil 2.

Guest Ruderz
I imagine they have higher profile matches on the pre-show for ratings and to make sure people are watching early for when the PPV actually starts.

They've had three title defences in the last five pre-shows, so it's not without precedent. Also the matches on the pre-shows have been good-to-great so far.

I believe Kane is going to be injured and taken off screen to give him time to film See No Evil 2.

Fair enough, I thought that the US match had been dropped to pre-show to give the divas match a slot instead. I'm sure it'll be a great match regardless.

Had no idea the sequel was in the works, I have to agree with you now that I know.