• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ciaran The King

There WM match is much better

Orton/Bryan - Summerslam 2013, just an amazingly great match

Edited by Ciaran The King

Guest Jimmy Redman

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada - New Beginnings 2012, Dominion 2012, Wrestle Kingdom VII, Invasion Attack 2013, G1 Climax 2013 Day 8

Finally got around to watching the entire Tana/Okada feud.

I feel like Invasion Attack was the first (and only) time that they really nailed what they were going for and had me buying what they were trying to sell. The first three matches were good, and had exciting finishes, but when you have these matches being pimped to the level that they are, you're looking for something more than "good", I guess. I enjoyed them, but in no way saw what makes them the greatest matches of all time to other people.

In general I think the quality of all these matches was a direct inverse relation to how much Tana felt the need to work the leg during it. As a Cena fan I don't go crazy about sh*tty offense as a rule, but Jesus, he needs to stop working the leg unless he can a) make it compelling, and b) find someone who will sell it. Looking at him and the roster, neither of those looks particularly likely. But the leg work as nothing more than first half filler really took me out of the first three matches. The story of the constant search for the Rainmaker was actually the only thing I really liked about them.

Invasion Attack picked up substantially in quality, mainly because Tana abandoned leg work in favour of working over the lariat arm instead, which Okada sold marginally better and which actually played into the rest of the match and wasn't blown off. They also really kicked the familiarity and playing off moments from previous matches into overdrive, which I loved. And the stretch was appropriately epic and completely sucked me in after I was getting pretty bored in the middle. Far and away their best match.

The recent G1 match was probably the second best. Tana went back to working the leg, but they did a better job than previous attempts, Okada sold it relatively well, but in every single match the inconsistent selling has bothered me. The best parts about it were other things, like the opening continuation of the familiarity angle, and Tana hitting the Rainmaker. Still, not something I see as on the level of the previous match, or especially the top New Japan matches of the year.

Its a good series of matches, by all means. They work well together. And Invasion Attack is a VERY high end match. But Jesus Christ people are overrating the sh*t out of them.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Brock Lesnar vs Triple H (Cage), Extreme Rules 2013

I never watched this at the time because F*ck a Hunter, but after being reminded of just how good Brock is I thought that it was silly to miss one of his few Second Career matches, so I popped it on.

This was a terrible idea.

What a piece of crap this was. Maybe an exaggeration, but I did not like this at all. Hunter in this role against Brock is THE most uninteresting and ineffective babyface to ever live. He was painfully mediocre in this, contributed nothing, and his selling of the kimura was pathetically bad. Brock was of course good, he looked beastly in the first part of the match, his selling was really good and his interactions with Heyman were the best part of the match. But he was running up a steep hill here and couldn't really save the match.

Despite the in-built story of Brock selling the leg the match kind of just meandered and never really got going. Hunter working the leg was woeful. Not to mention that Brock selling the leg was a terrible idea in the first place. But I guess THE ALMIGHTY HUNTOR felt like what his feud with Brock really needed was for him to look MORE DOMINANT. Lots of other stupid sh*t like the random F5 kickout in the first 10 minutes for no reason, Heyman no-selling a Pedigree to save Brock from a beating (wow...that is a real sentence), and Brock climbing the cage with a broken leg while Hunter stood 6 INCHES FROM THE DOOR and chose not to walk out.

F*ck this match. They managed to make BURRAWCK LESSSNUR look like sh*t, which again should not be even possible.

Guest Ciaran The King
But Jimmy you're forgetting that HHH is the king of kings, cerebral assassin and he's tougher than a former UFC heavyweight champion????

Guest Jimmy Redman

Either way, can we please not put current matches in here when there is a show thread open right there for that? Yeah, there was just a PPV on, no sh*t, you watched the main event.

No spoilers in here please.

Guest Fatherof10minis
Was running through the attitude era DVD and ended up checking out the Armaggeddon Hell In The Cell 6 Man one more time. Never gets dull and man was the roster deep back then.

Guest Ciaran The King
That was such a great match, I remember the raw/SD before when Vince tried to stop it and got everyone's finisher!