Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE RAW Discussion Thread - January 27, 2014 from Cleveland, OH (#1079)

TPIB

Guest Ciaran The King

Enjoyed Raw because of Wyatt's/Bryan/Shield/Brock

The opening promo was marred by the fans not being able to chant properly, either way the Bryan part was good but I thought HHH's whole act seemed as if he couldn't stand the fact that fans wanted to see someone like Bryan win the Rumble ahead of Batista. I feel it made the McMahon's and WWE look silly.

Main event was great. The Shield are the still the best thing going in WWE right now.....do they really need to split????

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
I think that was supposed to be the point of Triple H's whole promo by the way. He's a heel, he's supposed to look incorrect and out of touch with the fans and occasionally silly. I thought it was a very good make-good on twenty-four hours notice, and I thought Trips played his part well. I was especially, ecstatically glad that he called in The Shield instead of just being Triple H and Pedigreeing Daniel Bryan 19 times for standing up to him.

I hate Stephanie McMahon not in a heel way, but in a I despise you and i always fast forward or turn of your segments because you are useless and if it wasn't for your dad you would be working in Macdonalds way.

Guest Jimmy Redman

Man I love Steph though. She stole the show from Hunter once again with "cheap parlour tricks" and trolling the crowd into getting their shit together.

Main event was awesome on all levels. Cena picked up his game tremendously from last night. Sheamus and Reigns continuing their feud from 12 months ago is awesome. Seth Rollins was outstanding all night starting with the barricade incident and continuing through the Bryan Hot Tag. I appreciated them cosplaying as themselves from six months ago. Ambrose is great in his role as the stooge. Reigns is really starting to look like pre-turn Batista. Everything ruled here.

Guest Ciaran The King
I can see all three member of the Shield having fruitful careers in WWE, all 3 have future Intercontinental/World champions stamped all over them.

I can see all three member of the Shield having fruitful careers in WWE, all 3 have future Intercontinental/World champions stamped all over them.

I'm not convinced they will, not because they don't all have the required talent in their own different ways, just because I can't imagine that they will get the pushes and characters right for all three of them. Have no idea which one will get derailed at this point and even if I did, I'm sure the end result would surprise me, but I'd be pleasantly shocked if more than one of them ends up a World Champion at some point.

Only Reigns looks credible enough to pull off World Champ due to his size and overall look. The other 2 have good IC champ type level written all over then
CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, both of whom have spent time with the belt in the past couple of years would suggest otherwise. I know people are all over Reigns right now, and rightly so, but it's not impossible to imagine that somehow his push gets botched or he gets an injury at just the wrong time (he's also not as big as you perceive him to be either), while Rollins or Ambrose connect with just the right character at the right time and really take off.

I think they all have the potential to do big things individually, I'm really looking forward to seeing which one ends up achieving the most.

Guest Jimmy Redman

The fact that Reigns is perceived as such a big man is a testament to both WWE's booking and protection of him, and to Reigns himself knowing how to work "bigger" than his size to fulfill his role as the enforcer of the group.

My thing about the others is that Ambrose is a once-in-a-generation talent on the mic. He is THAT good, and the one thing that will frustrate me the most going forward is if he gets stuck in the midcard mute abyss where nobody is allowed to speak. He's been lucky so far in that The Shield have got above average promo time and he's been given decent stuff to say. But if he gets stuck in the Kofi Kingston merry-go-round and never gets to speak, God help us. I really don't care how far up the card Ambrose ever gets, to me his long-term appeal lies in keeping his character intact, and being involved in interesting and personal storylines where he has the opportunity to just go completely nuts on the mic. He's Jake Roberts, he's Mick Foley, he's Roddy Piper. He just needs to cut promos on people forever, and I'll be happy.

Rollins truly doesn't have the size or the promo voice to ever get to World Champion level, but that's by the by because he almost has a guaranteed future in the company as a workhorse. They are clearly impressed with him by how they put him over and have him look good vs Cena, Bryan and everyone else. To his credit, he has improved a metric f*cktonne in all areas since debuting. I doubted his viability in singles and I am now gladly eating my words because the dude is legit and has made himself with this run. 'World Title' shouldn't be the standard you measure a guy like that by, because he's going to have a very long and very good career in the company without ever sniffing the World Title most probably, and that should be classed as an overwhelming success for Tyler Black in WWE.

Guest The Beltster
The fact that Reigns is perceived as such a big man is a testament to both WWE's booking and protection of him, and to Reigns himself knowing how to work "bigger" than his size to fulfill his role as the enforcer of the group.
And the fact that wrestlers in general now are much smaller than they used to be.

Just saying that nothing's a given. The way they've made Reigns look big and destructive is a testament to them, but it shouldn't be used as some sort of assurance that he'll definitely be the one that achieves the most.

Ambrose is that good on the mic that it's not a huge stretch to imagine that they line him up with just the right feud at just the right time to have him blow up.

or they could give Rollins the equivalent of that YES chant and if it catches on it'll instantly atone for the shortcomings that you've stated above, apparently.

When the group debuted most of the talk, at least on the internet, surrounded Ambrose being the break out star. That's changed over the time they've spent on screen. Nothing to say that it couldn't easily change again.

Guest Edgehead
My thing about the others is that Ambrose is a once-in-a-generation talent on the mic. He is THAT good, and the one thing that will frustrate me the most going forward is if he gets stuck in the midcard mute abyss where nobody is allowed to speak. He's been lucky so far in that The Shield have got above average promo time and he's been given decent stuff to say. But if he gets stuck in the Kofi Kingston merry-go-round and never gets to speak, God help us. I really don't care how far up the card Ambrose ever gets, to me his long-term appeal lies in keeping his character intact, and being involved in interesting and personal storylines where he has the opportunity to just go completely nuts on the mic. He's Jake Roberts, he's Mick Foley, he's Roddy Piper. He just needs to cut promos on people forever, and I'll be happy.

This.

Although Reigns is currently considered the breakout star of The Shield, Ambrose is my personal favourite, mainly because his mic skills are that damn good. Don't get me wrong I like Reigns a lot & I hope he does well but I'd love to see Ambrose go all the way & have at least one run as World Champ.

Never really been bothered about Rollins, I know he's a talented worker but he doesn't really interest me

Guest Ciaran The King

Ambrose like Pillman is a one of a kind. Those type of characters only come along once a generation. Amborse will endorse feuds and matches with promo work alone in the future and he can easily be the character you want to see get hammered but yet he still keeps his aura. I believe he's a future World champion but a long term champ but some to carry the belt 2/3 months at a time before the heroic face recaptures it.

Rollins is CM Punk but without the promo ability....at the moment. I really feel Rollins can become quite a face within the company. I wanna see him in 20-30 minute matches, just tearing it up with everyone he works with. He, Ambrose, Big E, Rusev and many others could bring the IC title division back to prominence.

And Reigns is Reigns. He will be World Champion

I've always loved Seth. Loved him. So there's nothing new I can say about him. The guy pretty much tears it apart every single night and hopefully he can become a Shawn Michael-esque circa DX douchebag when The Shield eventually split up.

At first I didn't get the hype circling Ambrose but I've gotta admit that I've fell in love with the guy. He's just pure gold on the mic. He literally looks like an mentally unstable person, so kudos for his acting.

And as far as Reigns goes, it looks like he'll be the one to turn face out of the three. But I hope to dear "god" that WWE don't make him a cookie cut face. He needs to keep his "animal"-esque characteristics. The roars, Super Man punch etc... Just be a "cool/animal" face like Batista years ago.

Reigns is easily gonna be the babyface (you could literally hear the ladies getting moist about him on Sunday/Monday, seriously, listen to the ladies in the crowd during Raw), Ambrose is gonna be the natural psycho heel, but i'm interested in seeing where Seth is gonna go in this. So far he's been the voice of reason trying to calm Roman and Dean down, so I'm actually more interested in what part Rollins is gonna have to play in the whole Shield split, rather than the other two since their future roles seem so easily defined?

Guest Jimmy Redman
The problem with Rollins is that he's another one of those guys who has a character that screams heel, but an in-ring style that screams babyface.

Guest Ciaran The King
He could easily play both but I feel if he was to turn face within the next month he could end up like Orton at the end of 2004. WWE should just let it play out as it is. Just allow Reigns to continue in the role and gain respect, there is no need to have him run in and save Cena or Bryan within a few months