Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Why hate John Cena?

Guest Iceman000

You know what was meant! :P

It's not rocket science, even when The Shield beat Evolution or Wyatt beat Cena, it's always by some flukey means, or some form of shenanigans (or in The Shield's case, is just referred to as lucky). I think it's time for younger, hungrier folks to start picking off the older alpha males.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you're saying, I wanted to know Iceman's position though. He's saying Cena being face is a big issue since the audience is split on him but what does jobbing him out to the newbies accomplish? It satisfies 50% of the audience, the 50% most likely to gravitate away from the product. I'm just not clear on what he really wants.

Guest FreeSpirit

I have a great deal of respect for all the stuff Cena does outside the ring, especially with Make-a-Wish.

I just think personally his in-ring character needs a change as it's getting a bit stale, but if he makes WWE a ton of money I can see why they are hesitant to do so.

That being said though he is one of the hardest working Superstars who you can tell has a genuine love for the business. As he's such an establish star, not having him on a show like last week's RAW, he was missed by me!!

Guest Ciaran The King
WWE's argument about Cena changing character is that it will lose revenue, however if WWE had bothered to create talent in that decade since Cena's debut they wouldn't find themselves in a tight spot now

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smartmark00

John Cena has had the same rapper gimmick for 12 years he has been a face for 10 years he can't wrestle and can't cut a promo how is wwe still alive with john cena still the face of wwe for so many years.

john cena should be fired and never wrestle anywhere ever again he should never have been given a main event spot for 9 years john cena should be erased from history.

John Cena has had the same rapper gimmick for 12 years he has been a face for 10 years he can't wrestle and can't cut a promo how is wwe still alive with john cena still the face of wwe for so many years.

john cena should be fired and never wrestle anywhere ever again he should never have been given a main event spot for 9 years john cena should be erased from history.

You are either the worst gimmick poster ever or the least smart smark ever. Either way, way to go champ.

People can hate on Cena all day, it doesn't matter because we, as in the 18+ male demo, will either watch or not anyway. John isn't driving numbers down, but he shifts a shitload of merch, does tons for charity, and makes WWE look good in pretty much every outside thing he ever does.

He could switch his entire gimmick and be a massive heel and people would still complain because the real problem people have has nothing to do with his ability to wrestle, or his gimmick, and everything to do with the fact they feel he's the hand picked company guy being forced down their throats.

WWE's argument about Cena changing character is that it will lose revenue, however if WWE had bothered to create talent in that decade since Cena's debut they wouldn't find themselves in a tight spot now

It's not like they didn't try, Cena just connects in a way the rest of the guys don't, and I think it's because he really is a genuine wrestling mark who legit loves wrestling, just like the kids who love him.

Edited by etz

Guest Ciaran The King
Yes they attempted to make talent but their start/stop policy of pushing talent prohibited that

Yeah, I think "Cena connects better than the other guys with the crowd" is pushing it a little.

WWE have had potential replacements for Cena fall into their lap, yet when that's wavered slightly (mainly due to WWE not having a clue when it comes to booking anything other than Cena overcoming odds) they've jumped right back onto the Cena bandwagon.

Look at Punk. He had the whole wrestling world hanging on his every word following MitB 2011, yet WWE insisted on trying to turn him into their interpretation of a babyface, instead of letting Punk be Punk and continue with the good work he'd already done. The crowd was already on side, so WWE trying to force him into something that he just wasn't effectively killed his momentum. Happy smiley babyface Punk? But didn't we all buy into anti-authortarian "stick it to the man" Punk? B*tch please...

Daniel Bryan got himself over as hell through hard work, then creative get their paws on him and suddenly we start getting yes chants rammed down our throats. I had no problem before because it was just one aspect of Bryan. Now WWE are making it the main thing about him. The "YES" movement is a pretty terrible idea when you think about it. Let's reduce everything this guy has to just getting the crowd to chant a word. F*cks sake.

Even to a lesser extent, guys like Big E have suffered from WWE trying to make them into what they think the fans want, instead of letting them connect with the fans naturally. The list goes on of people who showed a glimmer of something, only for it to be snuffed out by WWE saying "that's not what you fans want, THIS is what you really want" and forcing us to deal with some awful watered down version of what we used to love.

See also Paige (let's glam up our anti-diva!), Fandango (YOU WILL DO THE DANCE!!), and probably Adam Rose soon if Michael Cole doesn't calm his sh*t at the announce desk whenever Rose appears. Bray's also tiptoeing a fine line with us constantly having "He's got the whole world in his hands" forced upon us week after week.

There have been plenty who could potentially have been built to replace Cena, I just don't think WWE know how. They seemingly only know how to push someone in one of three ways:

1. Overcoming the odds, Cena style

2. Winning something like MitB, only to be jobbed out for months after it, because then no-one will see the cash in coming. Unfortunately, after months of being jobbed out to all and sundry, no-one will really care either.

3. Twigging that something has caught on with the fans, and then repeating it over and over and over and over until we're sick to death of it, instead of entertained by it anymore.

The only thing that gives me any hope whatsoever is the sterling job that has been done booking the Shield. The only problem there is that as they start to become more prominent, their booking duties will no doubt get handed over to whichever ham fisted hack lucks out, and they'll be slotted into one of the three pushes from above. It's infuriating to see that someone in Titan Towers obviously gets how to build people (look at The Shield's last 18 months) but they don't spread this mentality throughout the whole company.

Guest Ciaran The King

Look at Punk. He had the whole wrestling world hanging on his every word following MitB 2011, yet WWE insisted on trying to turn him into their interpretation of a babyface, instead of letting Punk be Punk and continue with the good work he'd already done. The crowd was already on side, so WWE trying to force him into something that he just wasn't effectively killed his momentum.

I completely agree with this. Punk was effectively but not quite the 2011 version of the Stone Cold character, a bad guy yet respected by the fans for standing up to the man. By Wrestlemania 28 Punk was another face lost in the shuffle reaction wise, the turn at 100oth Raw was much a much needed improvement on the character.

I also feel the current direction of Cesaro could be affected by WWE's inability to just let him be, although I don't disagree with the Heyman partnership I think it's a spanner in the works of where the Cesaro character was headed

Cesaro's a great example. He was heading towards HUGE face turn territory, and now it's like WWE are actively trying to make you hate him, but it's just not working. They've put him with Heyman, but Paul still gets pops from our demographic since he's associated with Brock and he's the Godfather of ECW. Look at how the "My client BROOOOOCK LESNAR" stuff is over with the crowd now. It's like they want us to hate Cesaro, but nobody's buying into it for a second.

Again, they don't know what they're doing booking wise either. They have Cesaro trying to get some cheap heat (well Heyman does it for him, but whatevs) and then they pop the crowd by having him break out the Cesaro Swing during a match?! You can't have it both ways WWE, either make hima true heel and stop the moves that pander to the audience, or let him forge his own path and see how the crowd reacts.

Personally I'd have let Cesaro's slow burn face turn continue, but alas WWE will insist on giving us what they think we want instead of listening to what we actually want.

Guest Ciaran The King
After watching the current feud between Sheamus and Cesaro grow I think WWE will attempt a double turn at Payback

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Matt Black

I get frustrated with the way in which you see some people becoming bizarrely down on anyone who criticizes Cena at the moment, as if it's gone so far with the hating of the guy that the new "in thing" to do is defend the guy against any negative comments and bang on about how there can't be anything wrong with him on account of his extended time at the top and how all the great matches he had must have been at least 50% his doing and so he can't be a ****y worker after all (conveniently ignoring all of the matches that he regularly reduces to a series of cack-handed howlers).

Yes, he sells merchandise, kids love him and you could used his jaw as a spirit-level...but that's not why I loathe the sight of him on my screen every week.

He kills the momentum of those against whom he feuds, he's massively stale and hasn't learned a thing about selling or pacing a match in more than a decade of headlining.

But even those aren't my main criticisms of the man.

What frustrates me is the fact that the WWE has allowed him to become that way whilst failing to build up any viable alternative to replace him. People go on about how dedicated Cena is to the company, dedicating his career to treating us to those same unconvincing moves until the day he retires. But has anyone considered that the decision might not be his to make? What happens if he gets injured in the next big match? Who steps into his shoes and becomes the man around whom the promotion is built? Right now, no one, that's who.

Edited by dsrchris

Guest Ciaran The King

What frustrates me is the fact that the WWE has allowed him to become that way whilst failing to build up any viable alternative to replace him. People go on about how dedicated Cena is to the company, dedicating his career to treating us to those same unconvincing moves until the day he retires. But has anyone considered that the decision might not be his to make? What happens if he gets injured in the next big match? Who steps into his shoes and becomes the man around whom the promotion is built? Right now, no one, that's who.

Roman Reigns says hello

Guest Matt Black
Roman Reigns says hello

Not nearly ready to headline as a solo performer, the U-turn on the Shield splitting a few months back and the fact that Rollins was the first to go pretty much show that the WWE are not thinking of pushing him in that direction just yet.

Edited by dsrchris

Guest Matt Black
You hate a man who has made over 400 dying kids very happy, shame on you.

Who said that they hated Cena?

I just dislike his in-ring persona.

Don't invoke any number of dying kids in the name of your slander.

Edited by dsrchris