Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2007

Dead Crow

Has the Mickie James-Murdoch thing been dropped or what? I was interested in seeing that play out. They'd make sweet, sweet loving together and raise about 17 young uns', I reckon. I'm guessing Candice getting injured and Mickie having to slot in there as sole babyface challenger to the title has resulted in it just being totally forgotten about.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late 96 or so when Austin started tearing sh*t up and calling out Bret through to 97 with the Hart Foundation and then into 98 with Vince vs. Austin was much stronger than 1999. The latter half of 1999 in particular is horrible and the WWF didn't start picking up until the buildup to the Rumble at which time they didn't look back for the following year or so.

One thing about crowds I loved during that era that I've mentioned before was the HUGE number of crowd signs, makes for a tremendous visual watching on television.

Guest The Beltster

I thought in 1999 the product was good, for two main reasons:

1. There were alot of bonafide big time stars.

2. EVERYBODY seemed relevant.

At that point, they were breaking new ground and being innovative, everybody seemed to have a reason to be there, even the lower card guys. Everybody had a gimmick/character that got over.

That was the main thing Russo did that was good at that time: he made sure everybody seemed important. These days, you have the main event guys, and everybody else is inconsequential.

Guest The Beltster
2000 did that far better. Not only did the midcard mean something, but the storylines all made sense and the in-ring action was great. 1999 was too much of a rush with too much over-the-top stuff.

Their tag division was far better too.

I wouldnt disagree with that. Dont get me wrong here, I dont rate 1999 as anything spectacular, but its miles ahead of what we have seen since 2001/2002 give or take the odd PPV (WMXIX in 03 and SSlam 05).

The latter part of 1997 was the best year the WWF had post-Hogan, with Bret and Austin, before Austin became a gimmick and he lost his natural persona for the WWF-pushed one, which worked wonders no doubt. 1998 was much better than 1999 aswell. People in general seem to think 1999 was the peak of 'Attitude', I disagree, but it was decent overall.

I watched the first half of the DiBiase shoot, having missed it Monday night, pretty good stuff. I like shoots more from the older generation who worked the territories and whatnot than recent guys. DiBiase also became roughly the 182789374th wrestler to do a Jim Barnett impression. Must be competing with Da Mehcan Dweam for the most impersonated wrestling personality in history award.

Guest The Beltster
I watched the first half of the DiBiase shoot, having missed it Monday night, pretty good stuff. I like shoots more from the older generation who worked the territories and whatnot than recent guys. DiBiase also became roughly the 182789374th wrestler to do a Jim Barnett impression. Must be competing with Da Mehcan Dweam for the most impersonated wrestling personality in history award.
Dont forget Snuka, everybody does the guy. "Hey Bruddah" with the quiet voice. Did DiBiase sh*t on Bill Watts like everybody else? I dont remember.

A shoot (or shoot's) I'd recommend are Honky Tonk's, the guy is charismatic as ever and hillarious. "Ohhhh yeah!" He rips all the legends, but also gives them credit when due, which is cool.

Edited by The Beltster

Doesn't really sh*t over him, he says he was a bully who motivated through intimidation and was a slave driver but that was nothing new, everyone says that about Watts. He gives him a lot of credit for having a great mind for wrestling and talks about how much he liked working in Mid South.

Guest The Great Ahmar
Raven and Honky Tonk's shoot is pretty darn awesome IMO. Speaking of Honky some more, he, Iron Sheik and New Jack all star in some new RF Video shoot which can only be pure awesomeness.

Cornette is still the benchmark for me as far as shoot interviews go. The one they showed on TWC went 4 hours and he could have talked for another 24. Of the guys who have never done one, Paul E would be interesting stuff.

Feinstein is a horrible interviewer though on the RF Shoots, really poorly researched and whatnot. I have no clue who the guy behind the camera that chimes in with stuff every now and then is but he'd be far better than Feinstein.

Guest The Beltster
Feinstein is a horrible interviewer though on the RF Shoots, really poorly researched and whatnot. I have no clue who the guy behind the camera that chimes in with stuff every now and then is but he'd be far better than Feinstein.
Rob is too busy organising his next pedo convention to worry about what grown up wrestlers have to say!

Guest Jimmy Redman
I read on the last page an idea for Burke and Shelton to reform the New Breed with Kenny or whoever. The way its going, I think a better idea would be to put them with Henry/BDV as their monster team and run through both shows. Heel stables are good when they're strong and seemingly able to do anything they want, the muscle will be good for that. And obviously Burke can talk for them.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I've been using my new found free time to watch a stackload of WWE PPVs that I have on tape, so I'll probably be bombarding this thread with random comments.

I watched Bad Blood 2004, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not a bad match, from what I can remember. Jericho got a decent match out of Tomko, Tag match was decent, Women's match was Trish v Lita v Gail Kim v Victoria and was a damn good women's match at a time when TRISH was becoming 10 shades of awesome, Eugene v Coach was at a time when Eugene was actually fun, WHC match was decent with fun psychology. I was thinking I wouldnt like the HIAC match considering I cant stand HHH or HBK these days, but it was still really good, albeit getting a bit boring after the half-hour mark.

And to my main point, Orton v Shelton for the IC belt was fantastic. Just goes to show you how damn good Orton was at that time, and should be now. The whole deal from Orton's promo and going psycho on the crowd, to Shelton coming out and getting a reaction, to their great match they then had, to Flair's involvement, to Randy's sneaky win, the swine. It was all so damn good. And yes, all in all really underrated PPV.

And I just watched the first MITB as I walked into my brother's room, and while its still good its kinda short, and not as action-packed as MITB 3, which I rate as the best. I watched WM23 yesterday and the MITB is just so exciting. I want to watch the second one again.

And I also watched Summerslam 2005. John Cena v Chris Jericho was a damn good match. I couldnt remember how good it was in the general Cena scheme of things considering I hadnt seen it for so long and Cena's matches have exploded into awesomeness x 100 in the past 18 months, but it is GREAT. And it was the first 'Cena reaction' that had ever happened really, so the excitement of it made it so much more awesome. And then afterward I watched Hogan v HBK, the extent of the man's tantrum is UNBELIEVABLE. I got so frustrated with HBK that I then thoroughly enjoyed Hogan Hulking Up and pinning his ass.

Royal Rumble 2006 with John Cena regaining against Edge was fun too. They generally tend to put on a good match, but again, I couldnt remember how good it was. The actual Rumble match wasnt as exciting as others I've seen.

Mickie James v Lita at Survivor Series 2006, Lita's last match, was surprisingly good too. I sort of overlooked it in my head considering Mickie hasnt been interesting since Trish and Lita was really horrible in the ring towards the end of her career. But to their credit (especially Lita's) they put one a hell of a match. Better wrestling than Trish v Lita the previous month, I dare say.

WWE have uploaded their Raw openers for every year from the beginning until now.

They seem to think that the 1993-1996 openers were quite good. I beg to differ. 1993, maybe. But I've seen the Nitro intro of 1995 and it wiped the floor with the WWE intro until the 1997 Raw Is War one came into play.

That 1997 one is still my favourite ever.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/raw15/videosraw15/rawopenings/