BRM

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Beltster

This practice of having black actors portray long-standing white characters does my f*cking head in! Why?! Its like doing it for the sake of it. It would be like having Orlando Bloom play Shaft...retarded! Remember a few years back when they were talking about having a black guy be James Bond? Lame.

Lex Luthor is white, Denzel Washington is a fine actor (who the hell is Idris whoever?!), but have him be some f*cker else in the film if you want to cast him!

Guest Yodahew
Idris elba is heimdell in thor, nelson mandela in the film about him, luther in luther. He has played a lotta roles. Heimdell was also white in the comics and caused uproar when he was cast.

Guest The Beltster
Oh I like Idris Elba then :lol Still, thats irrelevant, Luthor is a white character and should be portrayed by a white guy. There is no reason for him not to be played by a white guy, its not like there is a severe lack of good white actors to pick from. I'd be saying the same thing if a white dude was cast as Luke Cage. Its just unnecessary. Nick Fury was annoying enough, even though Sam L Jackson is class.

Nick Fury was annoying enough, even though Sam L Jackson is class.
To be fair, Nick Fury was changed to black in the comics long before Samuel L. Jackson was cast in the role from Iron Man onwards.

Guest John Hancock

Wasn't Nick Fury in the comics supposed to be Samuel L. Jackson for years before Samuel L. Jackson actually played him in the films?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/UltimateNickFury.jpg

Personally, I don't care either way about Lex Luther being black, it doesn't really change the backstory. It bothers me when they talk about making James Bond black, because there's an established backstory to him being descended from Scottish gentry, but, with Luther, why couldn't he be black? There's black criminals and there's black Presidents, so, yeah, I don't care.

It's not like it doesn't happen the other way. Look at the Hunger Games, black heroine in the book, white heroine in the films, and no one seems to mind. There's even a bunch of recent movies where real non-white people have been recast as white actors and no one seemed to mind like 21 and The Bling Ring, both of which are real stories of Asian-Americans, made into films in which all the Asian characters are white, with English names.

The Bling Ring;

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2013/06/13/13-the-bling-ring-7.o.jpg/a_610x408.jpg

The cast of the movie The Bling Ring;

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/5/16/1368699954191/The-Bling-Ring-Photocall--008.jpg

Edited by John Hancock

Guest John Hancock
I don't think there was a specific reason. The change over happened when The Ultimates started, he just turned up one day and he was black. They even joke, in the comic, that he looks like Jackson.

"When the character resurfaced in 2002 in The Ultimates, he had been redesigned to look like actor Samuel L. Jackson. Jackson did not originally give his consent for Marvel Comics to use his likeness in their redesign of the Fury character for The Ultimates, and first appeared with this revised look in The Ultimates #1, as drawn by Bryan Hitch. The similarity is even noted within the comic itself, in a scene in which the Ultimates discuss who they think should play each of them in a hypothetical movie about the team. Fury's answer for himself is "Mr. Samuel L. Jackson, of course, no discussion." It was only after seeing the redesigned Nick Fury in the first issue of The Ultimates that Samuel L. Jackson learned of the use of his likeness and contacted Marvel in order to secure the role of Nick Fury in any future movies which will feature the character."

Credit: Wiki

Edited by DC

Movies stand alone from their source work, for the most part, so I don't care if a fictional character is black one place and white another or whatever. They don't actually exist, so they don't actually have a race. Even if they did, it's not a huge issue.

Take Schindlers List. Ben Kingsley isn't a Jew or Polish, he's a Gujurati Indian. Yet it's not exactly a problem.

In fact, the biggest complaint I have of anything remotely of this type is that it's slightly annoying that Hobbits weren't portrayed by dwarves.

I kind of chuckled at the thought of Idris Elba playing Lex Luther thinking it was someone getting mixed up as he plays a character called John Luther In the series Luther. However I wouldn't be against him playing Lex Luther as well he's a fine actor. Can't see it happening though.

Guest The Beltster
with Luther, why couldn't he be black?
Because he's white, thats why. There doesn't need to be any better reason than that. He is white.

If I created a character and then somebody else came along later and changed his ethnicity for no reason, I'd be pretty pissed off. If Lex Luthor was meant to be black, Jerry Siegal and Joe Shuster would have created him black. And its no difference from Bond at all, he's white, Luthor is white. Backstory about the family tree of a fictional character doesn't matter, the people who created him created him as a white man, so he should be portrayed by a white man. Why change it aside from doing it just to do it, which is the reason this reeks of.

I hate when they do this shit with anything because its altering what the creator chose, I dont like it, pointless. I dont remember which character it was but they changed the character from a man to a woman in a film and I'm sat there wondering whats the f*cking point?! Just stick with what the person who imagined them up in the first place imagined them to be.

And from reading your post, you seem to be insinuating that I'm only annoyed because a white guy has been re-cast/re-imaged black, which in turn would make out that I'm a racist or something...if thats what you think I'm saying, you're getting the wrong end of the stick. Like I said earlier, Orlando Bloom as Shaft would be just as wretched and stupid, it has nothing to do with which race they are changing into another, just that they are changing it at all for no reason when that character has always been what they are. If they re-booted the A-Team again and B.A was white, it would be bent! Who would wanna see that shit?! Nobody.

Edited by The Beltster