Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2007

Dead Crow

Guest The Great Ahmar
So I've seen the first two Flair/Steamboat matches, I usually disagree with Meltzer's Five Star matches, yet they were both utterly fantastic. I can't recommend them enough.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

From Larry King last night...

King: "John, your opinion?"

Cena: "Hulk Hogan said it best"

And again...

One more time...

Cena on: HULK 'THE GREATEST WRESTLER EVER' HOGAN: "HULK HOGAN SAID IT BEST"

Finally, Cena making some sense.

Cena is the 2nd biggest Hulkamaniac in the world behind me :lol

Edited by The Beltster

Guest The Beltster
Sometimes your only as good as the people around you.

Hogan had big, over, supporting stars.

I'd challenge that somewhat. When Hogan first took over huge, who did he have? Nobody. Piper didnt come on the scene for a year and even when he did, he only worked Hogan for 9 months. Orndorff was nother UNTIL Hogan took him to that next level by teaming with him and then him turning on Hogan. If Orndorff did that same angle with anybody else, wouldnt have mattered, it was only because of Hogan.

Andre wasnt a big support guy for years, he was always in the mid card.

Hogans supporting cast until 1988 really was Stuff, Bundy, Volkoff, Shiek, Muracco, Valentine, JYD, Piper, Andre, Orton, Adonis, Beefcake and so on. It really wasnt THAT special, unlike Austin and Rock who had Taker, Kane, Manind, HHH, HBK, the rest of DX, Owen, Bret at times, Shamrock, Vader, Vince himself and all those other guys.

Hogans main crew of role players really started coming into its own in late 87/early 88 with Jake, DiBiase, Honky, Savage and Steamboat had become more integral by then aswell, Warrior came in etc.

Guest DanielFullard
9. 99% of his matches are given shortcuts/gimmicks/spots that all the rest of the card are not allowed, so therefore he gets a somewhat better match than the rest, funny that.

But shouldnt the main event be given priority when it comes to such things? I certainly think so.

From Larry King last night...

And again...

One more time...

Cena on: HULK 'THE GREATEST WRESTLER EVER' HOGAN: "HULK HOGAN SAID IT BEST"

Finally, Cena making some sense.

Cena is the 2nd biggest Hulkamaniac in the world behind me :lol

Said it best, not did it best ;)

A fan he may be, but he'll always be Sting v2 :)

EDIT: I did have a point for coming in here...

SmackDown this fact!

By Alissa Fuhrman

Written: July 11, 2007

Want to become the No.1 contender for an “A” next semester? Defeat your classmates in your report or presentation and become the “Verbiage Champion” of the classroom? Well, students, now you can!

Ladies and Gentleman, after Friday Night SmackDown was created and launched by WWE in 1999, SmackDown has become a major part of pop culture. Now, the official word smack•down has been added to the 2007 Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition.

On a yearly basis, Merriam-Webster carefully selects and adds new words to the collegiate list. This year less than 100 words were chosen, and SmackDown was one of them! This truly shows the impact of the show on pop culture, making SmackDown a commonly used term among the general public.

Smack•down is officially defined as:

1: the act of knocking down or bringing down an opponent 2: a contest in entertainment wrestling 3: a decisive defeat 4: a confrontation between rivals or competitors

Now that SmackDown is officially added to the dictionary and part of the latest lingo, make sure you stay conversed to impress by picking up your copy this fall of the 2007 Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition. Trust me; your mom will be proud.

Guest Adam Gill

I've just been watching some random wrestling video's on YouTube, Dailymotion etc, and quite a few were from the Attitude Era. Anyway, it really hit home to me how awesome JR and Jerry Lawler were on commentary back then and just how horrible they are these days.

The change is quite remarkable really.

I'd challenge that somewhat. When Hogan first took over huge, who did he have? Nobody. Piper didnt come on the scene for a year and even when he did, he only worked Hogan for 9 months. Orndorff was nother UNTIL Hogan took him to that next level by teaming with him and then him turning on Hogan. If Orndorff did that same angle with anybody else, wouldnt have mattered, it was only because of Hogan.

Andre wasnt a big support guy for years, he was always in the mid card.

Hogans supporting cast until 1988 really was Stuff, Bundy, Volkoff, Shiek, Muracco, Valentine, JYD, Piper, Andre, Orton, Adonis, Beefcake and so on. It really wasnt THAT special, unlike Austin and Rock who had Taker, Kane, Manind, HHH, HBK, the rest of DX, Owen, Bret at times, Shamrock, Vader, Vince himself and all those other guys.

Hogans main crew of role players really started coming into its own in late 87/early 88 with Jake, DiBiase, Honky, Savage and Steamboat had become more integral by then aswell, Warrior came in etc.

Thing is though the majority of the guys you mentioned with Rock and Austin were mostly midcard too.

While Hogan had nobody instantly to begin with, he throughout his tenure always had a good supporting line up, throughout the card. The Bulldogs and Harts for tag stuff, the likes of Valentine, JYD etc midcard, then Andre, Orndorff, Piper, Bundy, and later on Savage, Warrior, Dibiase etc to help headline.

What I mean is you can use your same arguments with say Austin. Would the Undertaker angle have gotten over as much in 98 if it was with HHH? Probably not.

But I think we got confused. I didn't mean supporting cast necessarily as in talent, I mainly meant as in drawing power to the arenas.

I mean the guys you mentioned like Orton, Piper etc weren't necessarily 5 star wrestlers but they were very over. Thus similar to say Austin/Rock's support stars. With Cena now I look and think how many midcard or supporting guys are anywhere near as over as Beefcake, Sheik, Volkoff, Piper, Andre etc? Any? Or Shamrock, DX, Taker, Foley etc?

Thats more what I was getting at.

Guest The Beltster

I just realised how many typo's and how retarded my last post sounded with them all :lol

I agree with you that alot of Hogans lower and midcard support was over, but my point was that Hogan never really had any main event level guys to work with, he was stuck with Bundy, Studd, Orton, Valentine, Muracco, Sika, Sheik, Volkoff etc, it was only occasionally that he got a guy like Piper or Andre and by that time he was already the biggest draw ever. Hogan could draw with anybody which was the true measure of whether you can draw or not, whereas Austin was a huge draw but I dont know if he would have drawn facing Volkoff and Muracco around the loop every night.

Of all the era's, Austin had the most topline talent to work with, its no wonder he was such a massive draw. He was working Rock, Taker, HHH, Foley and Vince. Austin was the man, I just question whether he could have drawn against guys people really didnt give a toss about, like Hogan did for many years.

I just realised how many typo's and how retarded my last post sounded with them all :lol

I agree with you that alot of Hogans lower and midcard support was over, but my point was that Hogan never really had any main event level guys to work with, he was stuck with Bundy, Studd, Orton, Valentine, Muracco, Sika, Sheik, Volkoff etc, it was only occasionally that he got a guy like Piper or Andre and by that time he was already the biggest draw ever. Hogan could draw with anybody which was the true measure of whether you can draw or not, whereas Austin was a huge draw but I dont know if he would have drawn facing Volkoff and Muracco around the loop every night.

Of all the era's, Austin had the most topline talent to work with, its no wonder he was such a massive draw. He was working Rock, Taker, HHH, Foley and Vince. Austin was the man, I just question whether he could have drawn against guys people really didnt give a toss about, like Hogan did for many years.

I see what you mean. Austin though did headline house shows against the likes of Billy Gunn, Shamrock, Farooq heck not big guys and they still did great business.

Ultimately its impossible to compare cause of the different climates. With less than 5 PPV's a year, you pretty much knew Hogan had to face either Piper or Andre cause they were the biggest stars and those were the biggest events.

With Austin and 12 PPV's, they could never really get away with him facing say 2 guys all year, thus in 98 you get Kane, HBK, Taker, Foley, Rock, Bossman etc all facing him. Have to keep interest.

But did Hogan really draw with guys people didn't give a toss about?

I mean those guys you mentioned were all really over and midcarders at worst, the likes of Muraco, Sheik and Bundy being headliners at one stage too.

I mean who knows if Hogan would have drawn massively against Jim Powers?

Guest The Beltster
I see what you mean. Austin though did headline house shows against the likes of Billy Gunn, Shamrock, Farooq heck not big guys and they still did great business.
Shamrock was a heavily pushed IC champion and part of the Corporate Ministry and Billy Gunn was a hugely over part of DX. I never remember hearing Austin working houses with Farooq but the others were pretty big stars.

But did Hogan really draw with guys people didn't give a toss about?

I mean those guys you mentioned were all really over and midcarders at worst, the likes of Muraco, Sheik and Bundy being headliners at one stage too.

I mean who knows if Hogan would have drawn massively against Jim Powers?

Hogan would have drawn against Powers, Hogan would have drawn against me. Sheik, Muraco and Bundy were never headliners really, only temp guys who were thrown into the main event when nobody else was there or to work the top guy. Muracco's IC prime was a while before he worked Hogan and in between he was jobbed out. Sheik was only made champion because Backlund refused to job to Hogan and Bundy only headlined because they wanted to put a monster against Hogan.

At the time, Hogan working Studd, Muracco, Volkoff, Valentine etc would be the equivelant or Austin working Viscera, Mideon, Scotty 2 Hotty, Crash Holly, Steven Richards etc. I cant imagine Austin would have sold out MSG, Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Garden etc working those guys, he might, but I doubt it.

Guest DanielFullard
At the time, Hogan working Studd, Muracco, Volkoff, Valentine etc would be the equivelant or Austin working Viscera, Mideon, Scotty 2 Hotty, Crash Holly, Steven Richards etc.

Huge exxagertaion there! All the guys you mentioned from Hogan's era where far bigger in thier time, and got better runs, than those you mentioned from the Austin Era.

At the time, Hogan working Studd, Muracco, Volkoff, Valentine etc would be the equivelant or Austin working Viscera, Mideon, Scotty 2 Hotty, Crash Holly, Steven Richards etc. I cant imagine Austin would have sold out MSG, Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Garden etc working those guys, he might, but I doubt it.
Steven Richards wouldn't, but Stevie Richards would have sold out against Austin, especially when he was Big Stevie Cool.

Guest The Beltster
Huge exxagertaion there! All the guys you mentioned from Hogan's era where far bigger in thier time, and got better runs, than those you mentioned from the Austin Era.
I dont think so. Valentine had his run before Hogan became the man, and during Hogans run was either in a tag team with Beefcake, Bravo, Honky or a complete jobber. Muracco had his run before Hogan got there was and either in a jobber team with Orton or jobbing as a face with Graham managing him. Volkoff was never anything barring his tag title run with Sheik, he was a midcard jobber throughout. Studd had his run before Hogan was there and left shortly thereafter, and then returned, won the Rumble and jobbed/refereed.

Far bigger were they? Maybe before Hogan ever got there they were relatively big territorial stars, but their runs were long over by then, so my comparison stands and its correct.

Guest Da Showstoppa
What would HBK know about selling? He's like Jurgen fricking Klinnsman!

HBK sells better than anyone, you could feel the impact when he took a move.

Mike

Shamrock was a heavily pushed IC champion and part of the Corporate Ministry and Billy Gunn was a hugely over part of DX. I never remember hearing Austin working houses with Farooq but the others were pretty big stars.

Hogan would have drawn against Powers, Hogan would have drawn against me. Sheik, Muraco and Bundy were never headliners really, only temp guys who were thrown into the main event when nobody else was there or to work the top guy. Muracco's IC prime was a while before he worked Hogan and in between he was jobbed out. Sheik was only made champion because Backlund refused to job to Hogan and Bundy only headlined because they wanted to put a monster against Hogan.

I have to disagree there Belty. I mean look at WM1 for example. Studd worked a big program with Andre, Muraco had headlined the MSG with Snuka a couple of years earlier, Valentine was IC champ in 85 and in the WWF Title tourney in 88. Volkoff was hugely over for the communist theme.

You cannot compare them to the likes of Vis, Mideon and Richards who spent most of the time wrestling on Heat each week. Its never a fair comparison.

I mean you can't say Shamrock was heavily pushed IC champ thus a star, but Bundy who was squashing people in 85 before being built up to face Hogan at WM2 isn't a star? Both were still heavily pushed. And Billy Gunn hugely over in DX, and Volkoff wasn't?

Excuses or not they were what they were. But you can't compare WWF upper midcarders in 1985 to WWE jobbers in 1999. Massively unfair.

Guest Wolverine
HBK sells better than anyone, you could feel the impact when he took a move.

Mike

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8919/bigbootsellvs3.gif

I love the little flinch Hogan does when he turns and sees HBK flip flopping about in front of him like Mick Jagger after he's stubbed his toe.

Guest The Franchise

Hell just froze over. I actually agree with Great Jungta.

I have to disagree there Belty. I mean look at WM1 for example. Studd worked a big program with Andre, Muraco had headlined the MSG with Snuka a couple of years earlier, Valentine was IC champ in 85 and in the WWF Title tourney in 88. Volkoff was hugely over for the communist theme.

You cannot compare them to the likes of Vis, Mideon and Richards who spent most of the time wrestling on Heat each week. Its never a fair comparison.

I mean you can't say Shamrock was heavily pushed IC champ thus a star, but Bundy who was squashing people in 85 before being built up to face Hogan at WM2 isn't a star? Both were still heavily pushed. And Billy Gunn hugely over in DX, and Volkoff wasn't?

Excuses or not they were what they were. But you can't compare WWF upper midcarders in 1985 to WWE jobbers in 1999. Massively unfair.

Totally.:xyx

Guest SuperKick Kid
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8919/bigbootsellvs3.gif

Using that gif to describe how HBK sells is like me using a gif of Rock taking a Stone Cold stunner and saying that is how he sells.