Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2007

Dead Crow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beefhead
I remember a cage match in WCW with weapons that featured DDP and Raven, and there was a VCR as a weapon that has stuck with me all these years as a favorite.

Guest SimonJamesJones

I miss 96-98 DDP, people who didn't watch WCW until later on never quite understand just how hot DDP was at that point. He looked like a star, he talked like a star, and he produced matches like a star. His rise was awesome and thinking of the matches with Savage when DDP really was at his absolute best, I miss 96-98 WCW big time

I remember a cage match in WCW with weapons that featured DDP and Raven, and there was a VCR as a weapon that has stuck with me all these years as a favorite
DDP Vs Raven/Flock stuff was awesome, and the cage match was great. As was DDP/Benoit/Raven. Man I LOVED the way they played Raven's debut and his initial character. The whole thing was incredible. So many awesome little touches, like him taking the contract and refusing to sign it for JJ until he'd edited it before he'd sign it, putting the Raven's Rules stipulations into it. Edited by SimonJamesJones

Guest Beefhead
Oh man that feud with Savage was hot, his ring work was great, and he was a master on the stick. I loved how he could hit the diamond cutter out of nowhere at that time. There was a diamond cutter he hit while being choke slammed by The Giant that I will always remember.

Guest SimonJamesJones
the Diamond Cutter always looked awesome when he hit Eddie with it too, came out of some awesome positions and situations. I miss guys like DDP, the Horsemen, Sting, Luger, the Giant, Steiners, Dungeon of Doom, Harlem Heat, all trying to stop the nWo take over :(

I still maintain that even in 1998 WCW was excellent.

But no DDP was great and used utterly horrendously in WWE.

But it was fantastic booking to make him a star in the first place. Invited to join the NWO, turns them down, then constantly evades them, becoming a people's champion if you will. And his stuff with Raven, Benoit, Savage and Goldberg was first rate.

Ironically his ability started to go downhill once he cut his hair? Like Samson or something.

Guest SimonJamesJones

yeah his look was just way better too, the hair made so much difference. Sounds silly but before the haircut he looked like a star, after it he just didn't.

and a lot of WCW 98 was still excellent, but it was nowhere near late 96, 97 in terms of quality, and the further 98 went on the worse it got

Im probably in the majority here but The Postively Page character was not bad, his stuff with Christian was alot of fun, but WWE made him look like a goof in the end, and the stuff with Kanyon and the Brothers of destruction was awful. Although I was at that summerslam with the cage match and it was fun live.

Edit: I meant minority

Edited by Kg5000

I absolutely hated that cage match.

Was an absolute squash and burial and made Kanyon and DDP look so weak that arguably neither recovered.

Was at the point you realised the whole invasion thing was never going to be done properly.

Edited by Jung

Guest SimonJamesJones
yeah that cage match was hideous. Generally I hated the Brothers of Destruction throughout the invasion, not always their fault but everything they did was awful and they just seemed to squash teams and people with potential, DDP, Kanyon, O'Haire & Palumbo, (and the Kronic match was dire, not all their fault admittedly) I can't remember anything they did during the Invasion that wasn't awful. That cage match wasn't even an entertaining squash, it just looked like Taker destroying people for the sake of it. IT wasn't like he needed to be made to look any stronger than he already was, nobody thought "wow, Taker's amazing, he just destroyed some guy I barely know from WCW". Just killed any chance of DDP doing anything worthwhile in the WWE

Guest The Great Ahmar
Iron Sheik recently beat Vince McMahon 19-21 in racket boy! 15 minutes in and this new Iron Sheik Radio show is hilarious!

Guest The Great Ahmar

Apparently this huge 3 day wrestling convention has gone totally tits up. Angle, Nash, Hall and Goldberg no showed for whatever reason. Their PPV taping which was headlined by a rather random main event of The Great Muta V Sandman V Steve Corino in a hardcore match that wasn't hardcore in any remote way was in front of 300 or 3000 depending on what site is covering it which what either way you look at it for the Cow Palace is crap. Wrestler's are holding a sit in for pay and the MMA show has been cancelled and uncancelled a lot. I just hope nothing happens to screw ROH over.

The PPV sounds Heroes of Wrestling legendary.

And it got worst!

There were problems between Phil Flathers' date=' the MMA promoter whose show was canceled by the athletic commission because the cage wasn't properly put together. Flathers said since there was no show, he wasn't going to pay the fighters. Don Frye got into it with the bodyguard of Leland Chapman (the son of Dog the Bounty Hunter) and ended up sucker punched and came up bloody. The two had a second altercation later with Frye sucker punched again.[/quote']
Edited by The Great Ahmar

I really wish WWE would revert back to the old Raw theme, Across The Nation.

I think it's so much better than the one they have currently and it always seemed to get me pumped for Raw on a Monday night.

Nah, I like the current one much better.

Anyway, can anyone find a video of the Matt Hardy worked-shoot, where he ran in on Edge and all that stuff?

Guest Da Showstoppa
Nah, I like the current one much better.

Anyway, can anyone find a video of the Matt Hardy worked-shoot, where he ran in on Edge and all that stuff?

I think "Thorn in the Mind's Eye" is the most evocative for me - pure WWF Attitude.