Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2007

Dead Crow

Guest The Great Ahmar
Oh absolutely, but if you compare that year to the rest of their PPV year's, 1999 is certainly superior. The likes of Lynn, RVD, Storm, Credible, Sabu, Tanaka, Awesome, Tajiri, Guido, Crazy, Taz etc all had very good matches at virtually every PPV.

2000 had some decent stuff also with the same guys and Corino, Kash, CW, Rhino, Spike etc but talent being raided and various financial issues kind of damaged them.

But 1999 was a very good year IMO for ECW, and arguably over the entire 12 months, put on the best shows out of the big 3.

Yeah probably but that goes to show looking back how poor WWF and WCW was. I suppose in the case of WWF 1999, when things are at the top they can't do no wrong, when things are down they can do no right.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah probably but that goes to show looking back how poor WWF and WCW was. I suppose in the case of WWF 1999, when things are at the top they can't do no wrong, when things are down they can do no right.

1999 wasn't great in-ring, but the booking was generally decent so thats why they carried on doing well.

Thus new stars got pushed and did well, i.e. Triple H and The Rock's first year as a headliners, plus the likes of Taker, Austin and Foley on top. And yeah the majority of the midcard stuff were successful, the hardcore division, general midcard.

Look at it this way, it wasn't great but 99 paved the way for an excellent 2000, with the pushed guys from 99 then leading the company in 2000, and the new guys introduced in 99 (Hardys push, E+C push, introduction of Dudleys, Jericho, and midcard pushes).

But still I'm not sure I get what you mean about showing how poor everyone else was. I mean if the ECW PPV's of 1999 happened this year for instance, they'd still probably be, on average, the best of the bigger 3 (WWE, TNA and then ECW). WWF was good in the booking sense, and WCW just went downhill massively after a super start to the year.

Was an odd year 1999 all in all.

Guest SuperKick Kid

I believe Bret's book comes out in the states tomorrow.

If so, I plan to buy it. From what I have read about the book, it gives a very good look into the wrestling world.

As you may have guessed, I am particularly interested in his opinions on other wrestlers, especially HBK.

I believe Bret's book comes out in the states tomorrow.

If so, I plan to buy it. From what I have read about the book, it gives a very good look into the wrestling world.

As you may have guessed, I am particularly interested in his opinions on other wrestlers, especially HBK.

It will be a great trip....ego trip of course.

I really like watching Bret's matches, but I think I'd try and kill myself if I had to read his book. He likes talking about himself a lot and well I'd imagine the book will mostly centre around how great he is and how he was hard done by all the time but his ability and all rounded greatness got him by.

Guys like Bret, Shawn and Triple H are just people who IMO shouldn't ever write a book.

Guest Da Showstoppa

The unfortunate thing about Bret is that after everything he's been through (Owen, Davey divorce, stroke losing his dad etc) he still cannot let Montreal 97 go.

I mean it looked quite pathetic for him to no show WM23 last year (HOF) because Shawn was in the building.

Bret should be remembered for his contributions to Wrestling, but he seems intent on being remembered as the poor guy who was "screwed" in Montreal.

He even cast aspersions on Shawn's new found faith and lifestyle, also rebuffing repeated extensions of the olive branch too. Surely it wouldn't kill him to give the guy a chance, afterall he forgave Vince and he was the one who orchestrated it.

Guest Da Showstoppa
I don't think he boycotted WM because HBK was in the building. Bret accepted his HoF induction with HBK in the building, and that was a more intimate setting.

Oh, I read Shawn didn't induct Sherri because he wasn't going to be there - also read from a separate article that Bret wanted him out of the building.

Well I should know better than to trust wresting sites :)

Guest The Great Ahmar
Bret Hart's book cover looks quite HBK...Gay! 592 seems a bit much, but I'll probably end up buying it. I really want the Jericho book more though.

Michaels was in the building, he left just before Bret came out. And Bret didn't no show WM23 because he never said he was going to be there.

Guest Da Showstoppa
Bret Hart's book cover looks quite HBK...Gay! 592 seems a bit much, but I'll probably end up buying it. I really want the Jericho book more though.

Does look very tempting, it's a shame he doesn't cover WWE though.

http://www.brethart.com/files/images/hitman-book-cover-large.jpg

Hardly gay! I wish the DVD cover looked like that. The DVD cover sucks.

Guest SuperKick Kid

I was just reading that Billy Kidman replaced Teddy Hart in an 8-Man tag in OVW that had the New Hart Foundation vs 4 other guys.

I think Billy could be a good replacement, just say that he was always a Hart, he just wanted to make his own way with a different name, but now he is ready to embrace his legacy.

William Hart?

Billy Hart?

Bill Hart?

I think it could work.

Guest Da Showstoppa
http://www.brethart.com/files/images/hitman-book-cover-large.jpg

Hardly gay! I wish the DVD cover looked like that. The DVD cover sucks.

Erm the title is missing the "S" at the beginning :lol

Guest Al Stevens
I was just reading that Billy Kidman replaced Teddy Hart in an 8-Man tag in OVW that had the New Hart Foundation vs 4 other guys.

I think Billy could be a good replacement, just say that he was always a Hart, he just wanted to make his own way with a different name, but now he is ready to embrace his legacy.

William Hart?

Billy Hart?

Bill Hart?

I think it could work.

Hey stranger things have happend, i mean we have a mini McMahon and i am not talking about Steph and Shane's kids :lol

Some pointless trivia, but did you know that the former Lou E. Dangerously/Sign Guy Dudley, Lou D'Angeli, was part of Evander Holyfield's entourage at SNME when he boxed Matt Hardy?

Guest The Genetic Jackhammer
Some pointless trivia, but did you know that the former Lou E. Dangerously/Sign Guy Dudley, Lou D'Angeli, was part of Evander Holyfield's entourage at SNME when he boxed Matt Hardy?

No but I do now :P

Guest The Great Ahmar
To promote his radio show tonight on Sirius channel 101 at 7pm EST, the Iron Sheik made an appearance this morning on the Howard Stern Show. The rundown:

-Already out of breath, Sheik says he's on the road with Bob Levy and his "Killers of Comedy" tour, or as Sheik calls it, "Killer Comedian" tour. Says he's happy so far, makes $750 to $1,000 per show, steals the show, and only does 10-15 minutes on stage. Says fans love him and ask for autographs.

-Says he hates Hogan because he never returned the favor after he put him over at MSG. Says Jimmy Hart wanted him to do "Hogan Knows Best," but Hogan never returned his calls.

-Howard played clips earlier of Sheik saying he wants to f*ck Linda, Brooke, and even Nick to get back at Hulk. Sheik denies saying this, even though it was on tape, saying he's a family man and that it's cheap heat to involve someone's family. Finally Sheik says it's possible he said it, but must've been in a different state of mind.

-Howard asked isn't it gay for Sheik to get mad at guys like Hogan and say he wants to f*ck them in the *ss. Sheik says it's not gay because he doesn't mean he wants to f*ck them with his c*ck, but with a beer bottle. "And that's not gay, right?" asks Robin. "Exactly," says Sheik.

-The heavy breathing continues, as Sheik is out of breath from all the yelling.

-Howard said Vince McMahon decides who wins and loses. Sheik says not with him, because he's an Olympic champ, and he only loses if Vince pays him enough money.

-Howard asks about Sheik's coke problem. Sheik admitted it but after getting into religion, he stopped, and now only does cigarettes, beer, and weed.

-Sheik confirmed that he's frisked heavily at airports, but that he's not Bin Laden or Hussein, he's an American citizen who has headlined MSG, Miami, Moscow, all over the world. Says that s.o.b. Bin Laden made life harder for him and all other Arabs, and he feels sorry for all the victims of 9/11.

-Sheik brought photos of himself with the Shah and Mohammad Ali. Howard blew them off because it was radio and pictures make no sense on a radio show, but off the air, Baba Booey said they were all impressed with the pictures.

-A fake Hogan caller calls in, and Sheik goes crazy.

-Sheik says his marriage wasn't arranged, that he met wife after coming to America to coach at the University of Minnesota.

-Howard brought up Sheik's marital problems. Sheik confirms he and his wife haven't been intimate in two years, but live together, in separate rooms. Calls his wife a golddigger who loved him when he was a millionaire, but now that he isn't, she doesn't love him. Howard wonders if Sheik ever gets horny and why doesn't he just date other women. Sheik says it's against his religion and wouldn't be able to look at himself in the mirror if he did that, and says he had plenty of women all over the world before he got married. To release sexual tension, he says he works out in the gym for hours.

-Sheik says he's behind on house payments, but that Levy's comedy tour helps him pay bills, and also Vince helps him out every few months or so. Says he's not a millionaire, but isn't poor, either.

-Robin asks if it's against his religion to drink and do drugs? Sheik says Yes, but he wants to be sociable. Says pork is also against his religion, but he eats bacon, eggs, beer, and whiskey. Says it's ok to eat sheep and lamb because they eat grass, but those "son of a b*tch pigs" eat dead animals.

-A fake caller pretends to be Randy Savage, and Sheik goes crazy. Says he'll f*ck Savage with his 10 inches, and starts unbuttoning his pants before he's thankfully stopped.

-A caller says Howard should stop torturing Sheik before he has a heart attack. Sheik says he's in good shape and not to worry. Caller says Sheik needs an oxygen tank.

-Sheik said he loved Elizabeth, and called Savage a cheap Jew for not even buying her a hot dog once when she was hungry.

-Sheik said he did drugs because he was on the road non-stop, and they helped him stay alert so he'd never miss shows and not get tired. Said Vince sent him to rehab for a month and now he's sober. Well, except for the alcohol, cigarettes, and weed.

-Sheik said he's had a new life since coming on Stern and hooking up with the comedy tour. Levy said last week that he wants to cut Sheik and Beetlejuice from the tour because they're hard to manage on the road, but that wouldn't happen until March, and even then, he's having second thoughts.

-Howard asked about the president of Iran speaking at Columbia and saying Iran has no gays. Sheik said if there are, they keep it a secret, but it's nothing like SF, London, or other major cities. Is Sheik against gay marriage? "Yes and no," he says, to laughter.

-High Pitch Eric comes in the studio dressed as King Kong Bundy, to rile up Sheik. Sheik yelled at Eric, saying Bundy is his friend and that's not Bundy. Eric turned around and had "Insert Iranian c*ck here" written on his buttocks.

-Howard plugs Sheik's shows on 10/19 in Buffalo and 10/20 in Pitsburgh. Plugs esspromotions.com and cleanboxentertainment.com for tickets and info. Sheik also plugs RFVideo.

-On the Wrap Up show later, Baba Booey said Sheik is a little more reserved in private and very polite. He's not sure how much is fake or real when it comes to his act, but said there are buzzwords that drive him nuts (Hogan, Savage, Brian Blair, etc). John "Jump the Shark" Hein said lots of guys in the back grew up as wrestling fans and still can't believe the Iron Sheik is on the Stern show. Baba Booey said he's not a fan and never watched him, but that he doesn't have to be a fan to enjoy Sheik on the show.

-Tonight, Sheik's show airs at 7pm EST on Sirius channel 101, likely with a guest host to run the technical side of things.

Credit: WO.com

I must find this and Sheiky Baby's new radio show