Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Comments That Don't Require Their Own Thread 2007

Dead Crow

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Remember when Billy Kidman betrayed Paul London and turned heel? The build up to the split was brilliant after Kidman accidentally injured Chavo with the shooting star press and then started costing him and London matches because he just couldn't bring himself to use the move and after their very good match at No Mercy it was very heelish using the shooting star on a stretcher bound London after the match.

I wish Kidman had been pushed after that because when he started using the SSP again and began to use it as a move to injure his opponents (by intentionally doing it so his knees hit their face) it could have sparked off a lot of good feuds and matches.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TWC has been getting it's shoot interviews all muddled up recently. The other night they had one listed as being Jerry Lawler (part 1), but it ended up being the second part of the Ted DiBiase interview. Now Ted's interview was great, but I'd recently seen it.

Last night, they did it again. Listed in the channel guide was Brutus Beefcake (part 1), but it ended up being Steve Corino. Again, not a bad interview, but there are some shoots I'd really like to see, and if they're not on when TWC say they are, I fear I'm going to miss them.

Guest John Hancock
TWC has been getting it's shoot interviews all muddled up recently. The other night they had one listed as being Jerry Lawler (part 1), but it ended up being the second part of the Ted DiBiase interview. Now Ted's interview was great, but I'd recently seen it.

Last night, they did it again. Listed in the channel guide was Brutus Beefcake (part 1), but it ended up being Steve Corino. Again, not a bad interview, but there are some shoots I'd really like to see, and if they're not on when TWC say they are, I fear I'm going to miss them.

TWC in general is a bit of a mess. It just seems to be randomly selected programs at random times. Then 47 (exagerated for effect) straight hours of world of sport. It's impossible to ever know what's going to be on next.

Guest DarkMatchJobber
To me World Of Sport is okay to watch for an hour or two but it is worrying that it is TWC's highest rated show,there should be more emphasis on showcasing modern wrestling and advertising that to death because as is the case in wrestling today...if you can't move with the times you'll be left behind.

I have some comments to make about a piece of a WrestleZone article by a guy named Ryan Clark that ticks me off:

As noted late last week and over the weekend here on the site, there is talk of WWE conducting a post-WrestleMania draft. In my view, you can shift the talent all around, but the biggest problem is that WWE is not making new stars, which is something the brand extension was designed to do.

What's this guy been smoking? WWE has made tons of new stars (though some of their stardom is questionable). I mean, look at guys like MVP, Mr. Kennedy, CM Punk, Kevin Thorn, Cody Rhodes, DH Smith, Santino Marella, Deuce, Domino, Hornswoggle, Kofi Kingston, Jesse, Festus, "The Miz", John Morrison, Elijah Burke, Brett Major, Brian Major, Kenny Dykstra, & Drew McIntyre. Not to mention guys that have been in the WWE for a little while are finally getting their big breaks, like Jeff Hardy, Randy Orton, John Cena, Batista, Edge, Bobby Lashley, Mark Henry, Big Daddy V, Shelton Benjamin, Jamie Noble, Chuck Palumbo, & Umaga. I don't know about anyone else around here, but that's quite the list for a company who doesn't make any new stars. Maybe he got WWE confused with TNA for a minute.

He said new STARS. About three of those people are slowly making that level.

Whatever you say. Personally, I see a lot of "stars" in that list. To me, being a star in the WWE doesn't mean you have to hold a World Title. I think there are more than three of those wrestlers that are stars or stars in the making. "The Miz" and John Morrison are definitely stars, as are MVP & CM Punk. I also believe that being in the main event contributes to you being a star. Though MVP is technically mid-card, he always defends his title and wrestles and has feuds with some of the best in the company. Same with a slew of other guys on the list and even though it seems like they are the same old stars, guys like Jeff Hardy and Edge are finally in the main event. I know that Edge won the WWE Title twice in 2006, but even when Edge was the WWE Champion, it was still all about John Cena, but now Edge has a firm grip on the top spot on SmackDown.

A star is a guy who becomes synonymous with the product, looks great, sounds great, and above all, is a big time player and someone who, if fired tomorrow, would be a detriment to the company.

John Cena is a star. Edge is a star. Shawn Michaels, HHH and The Undertaker are stars.

John Morrison is not a star.

Guest Sundaycall

The news that Shawn Michaels is nearing retirement genuinely saddens me. Say what you will about his conduct backstage, but his on screen and in ring work as well as his natural charisma made him one of the biggest stars of the last 20 years. Perhaps another Wrestlemania send-off along with Flair's in order? It'll be emotional.

As far as WWE making new stars?

I'd agree they're not making them like they used to but the talent's there. Make no mistake though, although guys are starting to shine in the main event (Orton, Hardy, Kennedy, Umaga, M Hardy, MVP and CM Punk) there's no one of the star magnitude of the likes of HHH, Undertaker, Mick Foley, Kurt Angle, The Rock, Eddie Guerrero or Austin at their peak.

Sure Cena, Edge and Batista are stars, undoubtedly, but they're not there. But it must be noted that the Golden Generation came about under some specific circumstances in terms of competition and the availability of spots in the company.

Guest The Beltster
The news that Shawn Michaels is nearing retirement genuinely saddens me. Say what you will about his conduct backstage, but his on screen and in ring work as well as his natural charisma made him one of the biggest stars of the last 20 years. Perhaps another Wrestlemania send-off along with Flair's in order? It'll be emotional.
Shawn Michaels will never retire. He will be wrestling into his 50's, trust me. He just signed a brand new 3-year mega money deal, and Flair has also signed a 3-year extension, so I wouldnt be surprised if he wasnt going anywhere either.

Guest SuperKick Kid
Shawn Michaels will never retire. He will be wrestling into his 50's, trust me. He just signed a brand new 3-year mega money deal, and Flair has also signed a 3-year extension, so I wouldnt be surprised if he wasnt going anywhere either.

Agreed, the guy loves to wrestle. It is his passion. Granted he is slowing down, but he is like Flair and Hogan in that he will keep wrestling for as long as he can.

I agree with what is said in regards to "Miz", I hate that guy more than any other wrestler on the roster. He is indeed a joke and I wouldn't have included him in my list, but I figured someone would call me on it.

I still argue that Morrison is a star. He may not be in the main event, but he is one of the younger, talented stars that WWE has. I do not consider the ECW main event scene to contribute to a main event status in the WWE.

On the subject of Shawn Michaels, I honestly never want HBK to retire, but I also don't want him to be like Ric Flair and refuse to go away no matter how old and out of shape he gets. Michaels has nothing to be ashamed of in regards to his career, he has literally done it all in the WWE. If he can keep himself going into his 50's, then I support his effort, but there's a fine line between what he wants to do and what he is able to do. If it was up to Michaels, I think that Michaels would keep going until he gets put in a wheelchair. While Michaels has the desire to keep going, his body can't take the abuse, especially since he's getting older. I have a similar view on Michaels as I do/did when WWE and Kurt Angle initially agreed on Angle's release (before it was revealed that he wanted to go to TNA instead of taking time off to recover and be with his family) and that is that I don't want Michaels to be done with the WWE, but it would be better for him, physically, to be done with wrestling before something horrible happens and he ends up immobilized. Unfortunately, in my opinion, that is the road that Kurt Angle is traveling down, especially with his drug addiction. Michaels has also got to learn how to say "no" to Vince McMahon. If Michaels keeps coming back whenever Vince wants him to, then that will also lead to Michaels' downfall. It's like the DX stuff from 2006 (and briefly in 2007), he didn't want to do the stunts and everything that came with DX, but he didn't say "no", he just let Vince and Triple H and whoever else convince (no pun intended) him to be remotely involved with the different skits and various things that he was uncomfortable with. Anyways, to sum up this rambling I've done, Michaels should listen to his body and not his heart, because his heart is in the WWE, but that may put his body in a wheelchair.

Edited by TPIB

Guest The Beltster

Shawn is on the highest money contract in WWE at this time at $1.5 million bucks per year downside, without all his PPV and merch bonus's, plus he will always me main or semi main event AND he pretty much has the run of the place.

He will stop doing house shows eventually, but TV and PPV he will be on at all times, and with Sexy Boy playing I'm sure.

Its funny, I was watching King of the Ring 1993 a few weeks back, and Hogan lost the WWF title to Yoko and after the match they go to Gene in the back who is with HBK, and Gene says "Its a disgrace how Hogan lost the belt!", something like that. HBK chimes in with "Who cares about Hogan, the man is a dinosaur!"

At the time, Hogan was 39...HBK is what? 45 now? :lol