Martial Arts

WWE Network: What are you watching?

dsrchris

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been watching much WWE Network stuff in the last week or so (besides WrestleMania, that is), but lately I've been watching every RAW from 1999 on the Network. It's strange. I feel like I've seen everything from the Attitude Era for most of those years except for 1999. I started around the time of the abduction angle (where the Ministry abducted Stephanie) and, most recently, I just finished watching one of the last episodes of RAW before Fully Loaded 1999.

During this time frame is when all the Beaver Cleavage stuff happened. What I never knew is that Beaver Cleavage/Charles Warrington was part of an angle where he refused to wrestle Meat. Then he cut a worked shoot promo the next week where he gave credit to the Creative team and everything before declaring himself to just be a "kid from New Jersey", beginning his run as Chaz.

I'm also intrigued by how Billy Gunn was booked during this time. They had him win the King of the Ring tournament but then he became embroiled in this strange rivalry where he, Chyna, and, sometimes, Triple H feuded with X-Pac & Road Dogg over the rights to the DX name. Literally the night after Billy Gunn won the KOTR, they started this angle out of the blue and it just came across as very awkward to me.

There's also a fair amount of breaking kayfabe during this time. There's a few occasions where the commentators and other wrestlers refer to each other by their real names.

Guest the HiTman

I'm trying to find a match between Stone Cold and Benoit whereby Austin matches Benoit's technical/mat work (and it's commentated on) for a good while. It's not one of the famous two RAW matches they had, but another more obscure one. The stunner for the win at the end.

Any ideas guys?

I'm trying to find a match between Stone Cold and Benoit whereby Austin matches Benoit's technical/mat work (and it's commentated on) for a good while. It's not one of the famous two RAW matches they had, but another more obscure one. The stunner for the win at the end.

Any ideas guys?

I think it's a match from Raw in early 2000 if I remember correctly. I seem to remember one from the January where King and JR made a fuss about Stone Cold not being the best technical wrestler, but how he wanted to take Benoit on at his own game. I'll go have a look see if I can find it and check it out.

EDIT: I found this clip on Youtube, which is the one I remember. Not sure if it's the same one you're looking for though?

Guest Onslaught316
I didn't dig through the whole thread, but I skimmed and either didn't see any, or glossed over talk on the E&C Show. What's the consensus there? Some of the segments are intolerably stupid, but others are genuinely fun. It might be one of the most mixed bag variety shows I've ever seen. Leaning toward the "love it" end though.

I like seeing people (wrestlers, actors, whatever) in situations where they are genuinely having fun as "real people" as supposed to scripted for whichever show they are on.

That's why I really enjoyed Table for 3, Ride Along and Swerved (as silly as the latter got sometimes). Add in Up Up Down Down from the YouTube too; seeing guys out of character and just enjoying themselves is great.

Guest Onslaught316
Couldn't stand Swerved, but loved Ride Along and Table for 3. Wish those would have episodes drop more consistently.

Guest Jayfunk
Does anyone else find JBL's face odd when he is doing his sit down interview show? It's like he is confused and doesn't know how to smile! Edited by dsrchris

Guest Onslaught316
does anyone else fun JBL face odd when he is doing his sit down interview show its like he is confused and doesn't know how to smile

He does look comically stoic at times, yeah.

Guest Onslaught316
Has...has anyone checked out Camp WWE yet? It looks like it's either going to be the worst original content yet, or absolutely surprising. No in-between.